The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
Isaiah92260

Need help finding best alternator

My battery is on its last limbs cuz I've been charging it too often because of my charging system. I've made a similar thread about that. I have the OG external regulated charging system still and I'm gonna go with a new internally regulated alternator, so my question is, what's the best 3-wire Alternator that I should buy for my 250 I6? I only plan on getting halogen headlights and LED taillights, then a simple radio system and that's it so I don't need a ton of Amperage, I'm looking for something affordable but yet that has a good low idle charging rate but can hold up when I decide to do my upgrades. This will be my long time daily driver so I don't need too many things. I know there has been a lot of opinions and suggestions pointed out to me, but if anyone can give me there suggestions on good alternators for me that are 10si or -2si 3-wire, please let me know here. Thanks, I'm planning on ordering it this weekend
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
padresag

Re: Need help finding best alternator

you didn't like the way that the other thread was going. I would just get the newer 1 wire and by sounds of it you only need the 60? amp version but will not hurt to get the next one up incase you ever change your mind and want a/c and all those things.
. your old thread had the history of what you wanted and now you are just starting the same thing over
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
cooperhw

You might want to go to Mad Electric web page and there are some Tech Tips section that talk about this exact issue. He (Mark) does not sell alternators but can help you decide what is best for you. If you call and talk to Mark he is wonderful with sharing his vast knowledge on this subject.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: Need help finding best alternator

We use a local re-builder with a stellar reputation. He's cheaper than the name-brand parts-houses and we get a better product at the same time.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah92260 View Post
My battery is on its last limbs cuz I've been charging it too often because of my charging system. I've made a similar thread about that. I have the OG external regulated charging system still and I'm gonna go with a new internally regulated alternator, so my question is, what's the best 3-wire Alternator that I should buy for my 250 I6? I only plan on getting halogen headlights and LED taillights, then a simple radio system and that's it so I don't need a ton of Amperage, I'm looking for something affordable but yet that has a good low idle charging rate but can hold up when I decide to do my upgrades. This will be my long time daily driver so I don't need too many things. I know there has been a lot of opinions and suggestions pointed out to me, but if anyone can give me there suggestions on good alternators for me that are 10si or -2si 3-wire, please let me know here. Thanks, I'm planning on ordering it this weekend
I have a 250ci engine and I bought a nice 1 wire alternator from DB Electrical. They have lots of choices. I preferred the cast metal look but they have chrome and powder coated versions too. My high output 1 wire alternator was $67.67 delivered to my door. It works great.

I swapped the pulley with my original alternator so it would line up with the belt correctly. The old pulley is slightly larger, but the drop in output will be minimal. If your pulley doesn't line up then just make a new bracket or shim the alternator until the pulley lines up.

A very experienced Chevy guy on another forum suggested that I rotate the back cover of the new alternator so the wire post is farther away from the exhaust manifold. I did that and I'm very happy with the appearance too. Rotating the back cover requires minor disassembly and you need to make sure the inside brushes are not disturbed.

Here are some pics.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Singel wire 100 amp alternators can be bought new for a good price. That's what I got for my new 292. Chrome 100 amp single wire.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #7
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
I have a 250ci engine and I bought a nice 1 wire alternator from DB Electrical. They have lots of choices. I preferred the cast metal look but they have chrome and powder coated versions too. My high output 1 wire alternator was $67.67 delivered to my door. It works great.

I swapped the pulley with my original alternator so it would line up with the belt correctly. The old pulley is slightly larger, but the drop in output will be minimal. If your pulley doesn't line up then just make a new bracket or shim the alternator until the pulley lines up.

A very experienced Chevy guy on another forum suggested that I rotate the back cover of the new alternator so the wire post is farther away from the exhaust manifold. I did that and I'm very happy with the appearance too. Rotating the back cover requires minor disassembly and you need to make sure the inside brushes are not disturbed.

Here are some pics.
This is an awesome reply! Thank you for answering my question! You are always very helpful, I'm saving this to my notes because on my other post I was asking about what I believe is the same Alternator that I found from DB Electricsl and wasn't sure if it was a scam because it was too much of a great deal, sounds like you have the one I might buy! Thanks again! I feel more confident in purchasing it, I'm gonna swamp the pulley's too like you did, was that easy to do? I'm thinking up getting a vice to hold it down and loosen it with a impact drill.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah92260 View Post
This is an awesome reply! Thank you for answering my question! You are always very helpful, I'm saving this to my notes because on my other post I was asking about what I believe is the same Alternator that I found from DB Electricsl and wasn't sure if it was a scam because it was too much of a great deal, sounds like you have the one I might buy! Thanks again! I feel more confident in purchasing it, I'm gonna swamp the pulley's too like you did, was that easy to do? I'm thinking up getting a vice to hold it down and loosen it with a impact drill.
No need for the vice. Use the impact air tool. The pics show how the older alternator has a bigger pulley. You probably can use the newer fan. The back cover has a hole where you can insert the end of a paper clip so the brushes don't pop out. I think I rotated the back cover 180* so it ended up like in the picture. Just drove my truck again tonight and that 250ci is awesome.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #9
vince1

With the one wire how does the light get hooked up or do you go without it?
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:05 PM   #10
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
No need for the vice. Use the impact air tool. The pics show how the older alternator has a bigger pulley. You probably can use the newer fan. The back cover has a hole where you can insert the end of a paper clip so the brushes don't pop out. I think I rotated the back cover 180* so it ended up like in the picture. Just drove my truck again tonight and that 250ci is awesome.
Awesome! I'm gonna order the alternator on Saturday as well with the Alternator conversion kit from Brothers! From the research I e been doing I believe I can hook it up properly. I'm just only a little confused on properly hooking up the alternator so that I can still the "idiot" light.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:06 PM   #11
Isaiah92260

Lol I have a 250 I6 too! Damn motor runs too damn good even when it's at 200,00 plus miles. Eventually I want to just get mine rebuilt once after I do the alternator and the thermostat
Old 08-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #12
vince1

If you have decided to go 1 wire, why buy the conversion kit?

If going 3 wire I wouldn't buy it anyway, from what I understand just jumper the outside wires of the connector. 2 spades and 3" wire. That splice is what carries the wire from the lamp down to the alternator to excite it, thus removing the ground from the light to extinguish it.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #13
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
We use a local re-builder with a stellar reputation. He's cheaper than the name-brand parts-houses and we get a better product at the same time.
Sam
Me too. That keeps me with a real G.M unit, and my money in town!
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #14
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
If you have decided to go 1 wire, why buy the conversion kit?

If going 3 wire I wouldn't buy it anyway, from what I understand just jumper the outside wires of the connector. 2 spades and 3" wire. That splice is what carries the wire from the lamp down to the alternator to excite it, thus removing the ground from the light to extinguish it.
That alternator that he is talking about is also 3-wire capable, it has prong connectors 1 & 2.... I'm gonna buy the kit because I am Anal and like my wiring to look clean and professional.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #15
Pappyx3!

I was going to suggest the 1 wire to you when we were talking on the other thread... But I thought you wanted to diagnose the current problem... You could install the one wire and it not charge, be prepared to diagnose it, or take it to someone who can.

You can get a 63 or 94 amp 1 wire Alternators at most of the local parts places. Just a word of caution on re clocking the back half of the unit, this can void your warranty.

John 3:16
Pappyx3! is offline   Reply With Quote