The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
66 GMC 351E

Quality Rubber Parts Source - Opinions please

I'm looking for quality rubber parts for my '66 GMC LWB wideside truck. Trying to avoid imported junk and LMC because I've heard nothing but bad reviews on their rubber parts. Purchased a cab kit from Precision Restoration Parts and I've been looking at Steele, but I haven't been able to locate some of the grommets and seals. Looking specifically for inner fender seals, fender to cab seals and inner fender mounting grommets right now and will need other rubber parts as well. Classic Parts has them online, but I haven't pulled the trigger. Anyone have experience with these parts from Classic Parts or can someone recommend a better source? Brothers has some of them and they say, "made in USA" on some, others don't so I'm thinking they are imported. I'm in the desert where the sun and heat is murder on rubber parts. I don't want to be replacing these parts in a year because they've all cracked. Thanks in advance for your responses.
66 GMC 351E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:02 AM   #2
OldGMJon

Cool Re: Quality Rubber Parts Source - Opinions please

Steele rubber products have been recommended here on the forum regularly...

I was curious...I have a complete running 351E from a 66' 2503 parts truck. My only experience with it was the few miles I drove it home while nursing a worn clutch when purchased. Is this engine worth keeping and reinstalling in something else?
64' Chevy C30 flatbed "above" 80' C30 "beneath")
Parts:
66' GMC 2503 & 65' GMC I1500
OldGMJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
RKS0069

Re: Quality Rubber Parts Source - Opinions please

You already have the best rubber kit from Precision, fyi the hood cowl seal does not come with their kit but they do sell it separately. all the other rubber is under the hood or fenders so it shouldn't see direct sun. I ordered all the rubber that LMC had to offer"my truck is a'62 GMC" then I did more research and found that I shouldn't bother with any other rubber except from Precision. I ordered their kit and it came before I sent the LMC kits back. " you need to buy three kits from LMC to get the same rubber that comes in Precisions one kit except for cowl seal". I compared the different company's rubber side by side and hands down the Precision rubber is 100% better quality than LMC.
2011 GMC Sierra LML Z71 crewcab shortbed
RKS0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
72step

I ordered mine from GMCPauls for my 65 C10. Precision Products are very good quality for the money.

On another note: when I built my 72 C10 I ordered them from LMC and all the rubber looked cracked in a year and my truck always lived indoors. A lesson learned and did my research when I built the 65.
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
63burban
Chevy addict

I get all my parts and rubber from Classic Parts, never let me down so far and good prices to.

http://www.classicparts.com/
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
66 GMC 351E

Thank you for your feedback, gentlemen. That is exactly what I was looking for. RKS0069 confirmed what I was hearing about LMC. I saw that Precision had the cowl seal, but I forgot it when I placed the order.

RKS0069, other than the cab kit and the cowl seal, I didn't see any of the other parts I need. Have you bought other parts from them? I will probably go back to them for the cowl seal.

63burban, your feedback on Classic Parts is really helpful. I had most of the parts in my shopping cart on classicparts.com and just couldn't pull the trigger so I moved them to my wish list and started this thread. Have you purchased the inner fender seals, fender to cab seals and inner fender mounting grommets from Classic Parts?
66 GMC 351E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #7
63burban
Chevy addict

I purchased all my seals and all my parts for all my trucks from Classic Parts. The only seals that I got somewhere else were the quarter window seals for my Suburban (Steele).
I really like the quality, customer service and prices from these guys.
LMC was a pain when I first started buying parts, plus LMC is expensive and poor quality on some of their items
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote