The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2003, 01:18 AM   #1
beautimus

wire harness idea, what do you think?

ok guys and girls, i just might be able to make a contribution here for once, (info that is.)
now, keep in mind that i haven't actually done this yet, and i would like to get your thoughts on this.
i had been getting sick of looking at my crappy spliced up, twisted up, scorched up wiring on my truck. i had butt spliced and heat shrinked about half of the old splices that had been done to the thing over the course of 30 years of repairs, abuse neglect and what have you. well about a week ago i put the core support back on and reached for the harness that was draped over the engine to start putting it back on and low and behold 3 0r 4 old splices that were just twisted together came apart
And since a p.o. had replaced those wires with a color that did not match i was in for a lot of head scratching. add to this the mess of butt splices already in there and the 3 0r 4 wires that were cut off at the fire wall . now i was really ticked off.
i unbolted it from the fire wall and unplugged the whole mess and dumped it in the trash can. then i went to all the restoration parts catalogs i had and started brooding over the prices of all that. well i got to thinking,
what if you could remove the wires that were bad and replace them with the wires from another harness??? maybe take 3 or 4 bad ones and make 1 good one. i ran down to the curb and pulled that harness back out of the trash. well i checked at the plug that goes into the fire wall and the wires are removable. (see the attached drawing.) you just lightly squeeze the terminals and presto, they slide out.

so heres the plan, take the good wires from all the bad harnesses
dicard any wires that are spliced, freyed, burned, or have bad insulation and use the remainder to make one perfect original harness, and while i am at it i will replace the old resistor wire to the distributor with a good heavy gauge one for the hei.
i believe ron francis wire works has the correct connectors, to put new wires in the big plug,i haven't emailed them yet to make sure but i saw a picture on their site that looks exactly like them.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2003, 01:32 AM   #2
jose

Thats exactly what i did with my present harness in my 72 4x4 . I used two harnesses and made one good one . 4 years and i haven't had a problem yet .

jose6772@yahoo.com
jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:27 AM   #3
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Nice graphics!, keep us posted. I didn't know you could buy all the connectors.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:30 AM   #4
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

We have been repairing our harnesses like that for years but you have explained the procedure beautifully. It is a very good way to go even though it is time consuming. One problem that you will run into is that harnesses have similar problems so similar wires are bad.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:59 AM   #5
cdowns

you should be able to get the proper connectors locally, awhile back somebody had posted the part# for them at NAPA i think
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 08:26 AM   #6
J.Lance
Too many is never enough!

terminals

I had bought the correct block terminals at NAPA but don't have the part number handy. Just take the old one down and match it up. I've also had good luck with soldering and heat shrinking in new lengths of wire. Have had to do that a lot for temp. sending wires because they get so brittle due to the heat.
J.Lance is offline   Reply With Quote