The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
VanMan76

292 Inline 6 help

Hi, I have a 76 van with a 292 inline 6 motor. It passes CA smog with no egr valve or catalytic converter. State says i still need both of them installed. My exhaust manifold has no egr valve and no place to put one. It has the single barrel carb on it with a manual choke, and from what i can tell is all stock. Can any one help me out with any of this?
VanMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: 292 Inline 6 help

Does it still have an emission sticker? If so and it says something like non-catalyst or heavy duty emission, you should be good to go. What is the GVWR? I think the minimum for heavy duty emission is 6200. I think vans were often lumped in with Pickups for emissions regs. How is the gas gauge labeled? If it is marked unleaded fuel and is original, you may be out of luck.

My 1/2 ton 75 has a GVRW of 6200 and the HD emission so no cats, pumps, egr or such. Just a PVC and THERMAC system. Gas gauge is marked fuel instead of unleaded fuel.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
VanMan76

Here is a pic of the sticker under the hood, gas gage says fuel, and the smog paper work says GVRW is 6400. Mine is also running the PVC / Thermostatic air cleaner, with the EECS.
Attached Images

Last edited by VanMan76; 09-01-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
Dead Parrot

You need to find a label similar to one of these. First is from my 75. Note the 'Heavy Duty Engine' on the bottom right. That exempts it from most of the 75 emissions requirements. The 2nd is from a 1980 radiator core support I snagged at the local pull a part. Wasn't looking for one, but this one was just sitting on the end of the frame. Only had to unbolt the remaining fender and fender well. Almost pristine. Took the fender well also. Note the 'Non-Catalyst' label.

It could be that surviving 6 cyl HD vans are rare enough that your emissions check person has never seen or heard of one. If you can prove that your van is in 'As delivered' condition as far as installed emission equipment, your SPID that shows the RPO for Calif Emissions should prove you don't need any additional stuff.

Good luck. OK doesn't have inspections and state law exempts 78 and earlier anyway.
Attached Images

Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
VanMan76

CA Law now says that anything 1976 and newer needs smog test. maybe im not looking in the right place because i cant find that sticker.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
Lokin4AReason

from what I know, they are grand fathered in ... any over so many year(s)

you can also do a little homework and print it out for them for the proof ( as what it was stock )
Old 09-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
VanMan76

There is no grandfather law that i have found as of yet. What Im going to do is this.... They just look to see that the EGR valve is there. If it passes the emissions test they assume its working properly and thats it...no hooking it up to anything. They also just look to see that the cat is there. Im just going to add an EGR valve regardless of the fact there is not a place for it on the exhaust manifold. I am also going to put a piece of straight pipe thru an old cat and call it good. I will let you know if this works.