The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
poco64

6.0 salvage motor project ?s

I have a opportunity to pick up a 6.0 (aluminum heads) with a 4l80 trans out of a 2002 2 wheel drive pickup at a salvage yard to hopefully put in my 66 c-20. Motor has ac power steering etc.question is what other parts do i need from the salvage truck? thanks for any help
poco64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: 6.0 salvage motor project ?s

Get the ECM and wiring harness,,, hell even dash cluster (so you have some idea what wires go where,,, and anything you can get without too much $ added. You will be surprised how much you end up buying (and wishing you had picked up the whole stupid truck!) .

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Get the ECM and wiring harness,,, hell even dash cluster (so you have some idea what wires go where,,, and anything you can get without too much $ added. You will be surprised how much you end up buying (and wishing you had picked up the whole stupid truck!) .
Exactly. Im going to move this to the LS forum for you. You will get some more specific answers from the guys who already went through oops shoulda grabbed this or that.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 6.0 salvage motor project ?s

Buy everything you can get. Motor,transmission,wiring, ECU, throttle cables everything!
Buying the truck is a option if it's cheap enough and then scrap the rest are sell parts you don't need.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
aod92

I agree. Get as much as you can. I bought a long block with no harness and I ended up having to buy so much other stuff I wasn't thinking of.
aod92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #6
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

The little stuff will kill you!

All accessories, brackets and bolts! Harness and PCM, Fuse box and Hydro brakes if equipped. Air box and cold air intake..Cruise control box and cables ( throttle and cruise).....That is all I can think of right now! Good Luck!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
Scott2

I just bought a 6.0 and 4L80e for my build. Buy all the things already mentioned plus exhaust stubs with O2 sensors and check everything carefully!

The guys I bought mine from are known locally (Denver area) for assembling swap setups - even so as I was picking thru the engine harness I realized they had cut the trans harness off during removal (they pulled another same year and gave me both). They also remove and toss all kinds of bolts that I now have to go find or buy.

For ex.; the compressor, starter, flex plate, trans dip stick, gas pedal and airbox were all separated, all the fasteners are gone and the drive belt was cut off.

If I had the room and time I think buying the truck makes all kinds of sense as you can keep every little part you might need. Selling the rest is probably a pain but may be worth it in the long run.

Scott
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #8
Sicksty8

The best idea and deal is to try and get the whole truck. I did this for the ongoing into mine and it's great. You can pick all the parts off you need. Maybe sell a few you don't and still scrap the rest to make some money. I piced up a whole 2003 2500 gmc and took the motor, Trans, wiring, pedal, tac, fuel pump, rad, all the hoses, and a bunch of stuff I thought I might need but didn't end up using. If you've got the space this is the best option.
Sicksty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicksty8 View Post
The best idea and deal is to try and get the whole truck. I did this for the ongoing into mine and it's great. You can pick all the parts off you need. Maybe sell a few you don't and still scrap the rest to make some money. I piced up a whole 2003 2500 gmc and took the motor, Trans, wiring, pedal, tac, fuel pump, rad, all the hoses, and a bunch of stuff I thought I might need but didn't end up using. If you've got the space this is the best option.
I did this myself . Wound up selling every part on the truck . Made and extra $1000.00 and got a free motor and trans and everything I needed . I did have to work at it to make it happen this way .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #10
ekgguy

When I finally get around to doing mine, I am going to buy the entire vehicle. There are several places that do auctions or direct buy wrecked vehicles that allow the purchase of them by the public.

There is a COPART lest than 3 miles from my house. I have been lurking at some of their auctions and you can get a pretty descent vehicle for around $2000 running. Then you have everything you need.

They just sold a 2009 Silverado for 2700. Running and driving, just a lot of body damage.

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=672655

"Father thank you for the gathering of friends, Father we give thanks for all the choices we've made because that's what makes us who we are, let us forever cherish the loved ones we've lost along the way and most of all THANK YOU FOR FAST CARS!"

Last edited by ekgguy; 09-28-2015 at 01:51 PM.
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote