The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
craiginaustin

Lightbulb Junkyard dual electric fan install

I've been getting a lot out of this forum recently, so I figured a good way to contribute back would be to share some details of my electric fan install.

The PO of my truck had done an electric fan conversion, but a pretty poor one. The fan was jammed in front of the radiator, between it and the X-shaped brace behind the grill. I couldn't for the life of me get it re-installed after I put the radiator back in; plus the fan was powered straight from the +12V ignition source in the fuse panel through a toggle switch in the cabin, rather than using a relay, so I decided to start from scratch.

I headed to the junk yard, fully intending to pull the Taurus or a Mark VIII fan setup that seems to be pretty commonly used. I decided to do a lap through the "GM Trucks" section to see if I could come across anything that would work. While most of them were engine-driven fans, I came across a 2006 Saturn Vue that had an assembly that looked like it would work. Someone had already cut away the sheet metal above the radiator and fan + shroud, so access was really easy.

It turned out to be exactly the same size as the radiator, with the shroud covering all of the fins. I think I have a stock V8 radiator (but honestly don't know). We dug some L brackets from the junk drawer and attached the shroud to the stock metal on either side of the radiator. We had to use the Dremel to remove one of the tabs on the shroud that would've hit the battery tray, and drill some new holes in the other tabs on the shroud, but the modifications were really minor.

To power them, I pulled a fuse + relay panel from a mid-90's Cavalier. All the GM cars of that era seemed to have the same panel. I re-wired it inside to have two of the big relays to receive +12 V ignition on one side of the control circuit, then grounded through a switch on the other. I only have one fan hooked up for now, using the switch that was in the cabin previously. I just picked up a dual-circuit switch from NAPA (part number FS151) and a metric to NPT adapter that I'll swap in the next time I have to drain the coolant.

It seems to be working great. Sitting at a set of lights it keeps the truck at 190-200F, isn't overly loud with the one fan that I have hooked up running, and is fairly subtle under the hood.
Attached Images

craiginaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Lugnutz65

Re: Junkyard dual electric fan install

Very nice. I have the same radiator. I'll reference this for the future. I'm a little fuzzy on what you did with the relays so maybe you could post some photos of that too. Thanks for posting this. I'm sure others will find it helpful too.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
wcstory

Interesting solution.

Are you using the thermostat switch to trigger the relays?

Looked up some size specs on the '06 fan
Attached Images

My GMC Photos
wcstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
craiginaustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
Very nice. I have the same radiator. I'll reference this for the future. I'm a little fuzzy on what you did with the relays so maybe you could post some photos of that too. Thanks for posting this. I'm sure others will find it helpful too.
Thanks!

Attached are some photos of the fuse + relay panel installed. Unfortunately most of the fun stuff is on the underside that I can't easily get access to for photos.

Inside, it basically goes 12V battery -> 30 Amp fuse -> split -> 2 x relays (to pin 30 on each) -> one fan +12V per relay (from pin 87 on each) . That's the power side of the relay; for the control side I ran a wire all the way from the fuse panel in the cab (there are two free switched 12V spots, on mine at least) to pin 86 on each relay, then from pin 85 on each to ground via a switch to complete the circuit. That way, it requires both +12V from ignition AND the grounding switch to complete the circuit and trigger the fans. I think I got those pin numbers right, I'm writing from memory and googling relay diagrams.

This panel has plenty of room for expansion. I'm already using one of the other low-power relays to power the electric choke, and I plan on using the two other high-power relay spots to power the headlights (whenever I get around to doing that conversion).

The panel was installed using an L bracket to one side of the battery tray (I can't remember if we drilled a hole or not) and a longer piece of alumimum to attach to the front of the battery tray.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #5
craiginaustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcstory View Post
Interesting solution.

Are you using the thermostat switch to trigger the relays?

Looked up some size specs on the '06 fan
Nice find on those specs. I couldn't find any info on what CFM or how much current the fans draw.

Right now only one of the fans is hooked up, controlled by a toggle switch in the cabin (completes the ground side of the relay). I plan to use the thermostat switch to trigger them both though. I was itching to get the engine running again, so did the quick and dirty solution while I researched the long-term solution. Of course now I need to drain the coolant to install the switch...

I think whatever solution folks have used for the dual-speed fans should also work for this, just powering two separate fans instead of one with two speeds. Apparently there's a standalone dual relay module from Volvos that are commonly used for this, I just went with the all-in-one panel as I'm using it for more than just fans (and plan to use it more over time).
Old 09-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
craiginaustin

I just remembered something else -- the two fans appeared to be wired opposite to each other from the factory. The white wire is ground on one, but positive on the other. If you wire them both up the same way one will be pulling, one pushing back through the radiator.

I don't remember which one is which from memory. When it came time to wire up the fans I used alligator clips to bypass the ignition to double-check everything was working, and I'm glad I did!
Old 09-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
luvbowties

Smile Re: Junkyard dual electric fan install

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginaustin View Post
I've been getting a lot out of this forum recently, so I figured a good way to contribute back would be to share some details of my electric fan install.

The PO of my truck had done an electric fan conversion, but a pretty poor one. The fan was jammed in front of the radiator, between it and the X-shaped brace behind the grill. I couldn't for the life of me get it re-installed after I put the radiator back in; plus the fan was powered straight from the +12V ignition source in the fuse panel through a toggle switch in the cabin, rather than using a relay, so I decided to start from scratch.

I headed to the junk yard, fully intending to pull the Taurus or a Mark VIII fan setup that seems to be pretty commonly used. I decided to do a lap through the "GM Trucks" section to see if I could come across anything that would work. While most of them were engine-driven fans, I came across a 2006 Saturn Vue that had an assembly that looked like it would work. Someone had already cut away the sheet metal above the radiator and fan + shroud, so access was really easy.

It turned out to be exactly the same size as the radiator, with the shroud covering all of the fins. I think I have a stock V8 radiator (but honestly don't know). We dug some L brackets from the junk drawer and attached the shroud to the stock metal on either side of the radiator. We had to use the Dremel to remove one of the tabs on the shroud that would've hit the battery tray, and drill some new holes in the other tabs on the shroud, but the modifications were really minor.

To power them, I pulled a fuse + relay panel from a mid-90's Cavalier. All the GM cars of that era seemed to have the same panel. I re-wired it inside to have two of the big relays to receive +12 V ignition on one side of the control circuit, then grounded through a switch on the other. I only have one fan hooked up for now, using the switch that was in the cabin previously. I just picked up a dual-circuit switch from NAPA (part number FS151) and a metric to NPT adapter that I'll swap in the next time I have to drain the coolant.

It seems to be working great. Sitting at a set of lights it keeps the truck at 190-200F, isn't overly loud with the one fan that I have hooked up running, and is fairly subtle under the hood.
Knowing u said u had no idea what model/application radiator u have, it looks to be shorter and wider than any stock 60-66 rad. No problem as long as it fits and works okay! Could you tell me what model your truck is AND what the dimensions are on your radiator? I could work backwards from the rad. dimensions to buy a correct rad.

Looks like it fits well, and kudos on finding the 2006 Saturn Vue seeming to fit so well; also, I've heard good stories from hot rodders using that similar (Lincoln and Taurus) application coolant fans w/shroud. Needless to say, and depending on your answers, I'd love to try that setup on my next rad/fan/shroud project. And I love the 2-stage operation already built in.

Thanks.
Sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 09-14-2015 at 10:26 AM. Reason: correction
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:44 PM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The radiator the OP has looks to be a stock sized V8/292 radiator.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #9
luvbowties

Smile Re: Junkyard dual electric fan install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The radiator the OP has looks to be a stock sized V8/292 radiator.
Started to ask more ??? re: size of the cooling fans-with-shroud and rad. But then realized from pics the answers were apparent. Sorry!
Sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 09-15-2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: saw the answer
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Hey Captain. Does the radiator he has look like a stock "I-6/292 rad"? What year(s)? Will it fit a '64, '65, AND '66? I'd kind of like to use a similar one in a '64 AND a '66--but my '66 looks like its rad-support will not allow it:it uses an apparently max. width already; also, the '66 batt-box looks like it will interfere. Can't tell, but the OP's pic looks wider than it is tall to me, something I do not recall having seen--can you determine from his pics? And does that 292-rad. you describe have dimensions wider than height?

Lots of ???, I realize, but I wish to avoid ordering the wrong things. Still would love to have a rad. wider than it is tall--getting ready to install ac on the '66, and this would give more options for condenser and fans.[Recent spinal probs. have necessitated my hiring project-labor done for a while, at least, rather than "in-house".]

And thanks a bunch for your gracious help to the forum members AND to me.
Sam
I'll look for CaptainFab to answer too, but here's what I can say. I have an original Harrison radiator that is tall and narrow. It sits on the lower flange of the radiator crossmember. The radiator saddles are riveted into the two open square looking holes that you can see in the photo below (from the OP photos).

I since changed the radiator. I swapped that tall narrow radiator out for a short wide V8 style Harrison radiator. That required moving my saddles to the upper position on the crossmember (just like the radiator in the photo is mounted).

It appears that the OP has an original wide short radiator. The Saturn dual fan fits nicely with the wide short style. It also looks like he has a V8 engine because of all the extra space between the fan pulley and the radiator.

Just some of my observations.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #11
craiginaustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
It also looks like he has a V8 engine because of all the extra space between the fan pulley and the radiator.
That's right, it's a SBC 350. The engine was swapped when I bought it, so I'm not sure what it originally came with.

I'm not sure of the measurements off-hand, if they're still necessary I'll get them.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #12
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

good info. Thanks\

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote