The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2015, 12:02 AM   #1
Dherschell

70 K20 coil over shock conversion..help

I have a 70 K20 that was built and recently wrecked and a 72 K5 that is currently being revamped. I'm in the process of redoing the truck and want to convert the front suspension to coil over shock suspension in both outfits. I'm trying not to have to reinvent the wheel here. I'm hoping to gather info here to find a cost effective solution. Has anyone done this before that can offer up existing components and a process to follow? I'm not afraid of some modifications and fabrication. Your input will be greatly appreciated!
Dherschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:49 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: 70 K20 coil over shock conversion..help

The most ready kit i know of is http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Fro...Conversion.htm The rest out there are more universal kits which can be a pain,And the brackets on those universal look weaker and cheap made to me.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
Dherschell

I've seen that kit and it does look pretty complete but the cost, especially for 2 kits, is prohibitive. Is there a late model truck out there that already has this suspension on it that I can either pull from it or modify to fit my units?
Dherschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
kwmech

In about 5 years everybody is going to posting about how to convert back to leaf spring because they are getting tired of replacing all the different bushings all the time, and are getting tired of the truck wandering all over the road.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:10 AM   #5
andrewmp6

Gm will be out the window they are ifs after they went away from leaf springs.You got the fords in the 70s 1/2 ton with radius arms and the 05 and newer super duty has a kinda radius arm set up on it.The dodges 94 up use a short 4 link.The big problem with using a oem set up is they are built weak and some the axle mounting points are cast in to the axle so you can't even cut them off.The off road design kit will be cheaper in the long run tho.Its designed to fit and everything is built strong so nothing to upgrade or make fit.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
obijuan

cut it out and start fresh. and dont half ass it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy...ns-budget.html
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote