The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
engairuph

What engine diagnostics tool recommend

looking for a decent but not expensive diagnostic tool that works with Ls conversions

69 4x4 Suburban PTO winch(NAVY)
13 GMC Ext cab
12 Ford Fusion SE(wife)

MAI
Interior shop
engairuph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:13 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: What engine diagnostics tool recommend

To a certain extent you get what you pay for. If you just want a codereader, then spend the $30 at Harbor Freight.

If you want something that can also read trans codes and U/B codes (Body or "other" codes) then I'd really consider looking at a scangauge. It functions like a normal scanner, but it can act as a gauge and monitor 4 items at once. Its like $129, which is the entry price on "midrange" scanners that can do the same thing.

If you want to be able to do SRS stuff, BCM stuff, all the engine and trans scanning for all sorts of in-depth stuff, then your looking at $6-1500 for the "dealer scanner" like a TechII. You really don't need this.

Otherwise, if you want the BEST scanner available, that can also read/display info like the scangauge...then you can spend like $650 and get HP Tuners. Not exactly a "scanner" but can do all the same things and more.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #3
engairuph

Thanks, I was wanting to keep it under $200. Seen that last night.

69 4x4 Suburban PTO winch(NAVY)
13 GMC Ext cab
12 Ford Fusion SE(wife)

MAI
Interior shop
engairuph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: What engine diagnostics tool recommend

I like my scan gauge 2. You can't beat it for the money!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
hugger6933

I have a tech2 when I've done swaps before I sent out my harness for a rework and the PCM for reflash. I will be able to use the tech2 for the reflash wont' I? what is a good site to download a tune from?
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
jweb

I was thinking of using this blue driver scan tool since my OBD II port won't be easy to access.

http://www.lemurmonitors.com/

It has good reviews on Amazon, maybe some on here has tried it
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
I have a tech2 when I've done swaps before I sent out my harness for a rework and the PCM for reflash. I will be able to use the tech2 for the reflash wont' I? what is a good site to download a tune from?
You can reflash modules with a Tech 2, But it only works with GM SPS (Service Programming System) Software, Bootleg copies are out there....Use at your own risk! The real deal runs $1000 a year.

Unlike tuning software, You cannot make changes in the tune, Whatever tune/calibration is in SPS for the VIN you enter......Is the tune you will get.

A Tech 2 will not "Pull a Tune out & save it either" It will completely erase the old calibration & rewrite the PCM & the old calibration is gone...Forever.

Dealer techs have not used a Tech 2 as a pass through or stand alone in quite some time, They use a MDI pass through for faster down load times.
The Tech 2 have "Bricked" later PCM's.

If you want to make changes to calibration & save calibrations to a file, Hp Tuners or EFI Live is the way to go!

Congrats on the Tech 2 though! It is a GREAT scan tool. I can't think of another scan tool that is still this relevant 25 years after introduction!!!!
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #8
hugger6933

Well I build wrecks trucks mainly and lots of 03-07 cause that is the body style that people still like. The newer 07-13 model everyone I built of them has bite me in the butt and been a loser. In fact the last one I did I sold it for less done than I paid for it wrecked and didn't even have to do paint work on it it had a new take off bed put on. No takers. Anyways I am now able to replace the aftermarket radios with factory ones and check all codes and what not so it is gonna help me out later on. May have to look into HP is that the one you buy credits for? With all the LS stuff I have laying around from the parts trucks I've junked I need to figure a way to capitalize on them even if I have to put them in all my projects.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #9
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Well I build wrecks trucks mainly and lots of 03-07 cause that is the body style that people still like. The newer 07-13 model everyone I built of them has bite me in the butt and been a loser. In fact the last one I did I sold it for less done than I paid for it wrecked and didn't even have to do paint work on it it had a new take off bed put on. No takers. Anyways I am now able to replace the aftermarket radios with factory ones and check all codes and what not so it is gonna help me out later on. May have to look into HP is that the one you buy credits for? With all the LS stuff I have laying around from the parts trucks I've junked I need to figure a way to capitalize on them even if I have to put them in all my projects.
Yes, Credits are required, However if you are going to be doing a lot of GMT800 trucks, You can buy Unlimited Credits, You need to purchase 30 credits at once to do this, VCM Pro comes with 8 credits, So you have to purchase 22 extra credits at the time of purchase of the tuning software, You would be looking at $1800 for the Tuning software & unlimited GMT 800 access.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #10
nsulacountry

i have an Autel AutoLink AL609. It does a lot of vehicle specific diagnostics. Also has detailed descriptions for all Asian, European, and US manufactures. I like. Price has come down the past few years.

Awesome color display and SD card for storing scans.

CT
nsulacountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #11
OutlawDrifter

for just a reader that has some great diagnostic tools, try the elm reader with the torque/torque pro app. total cost will be under $30. the torque app has links to what the codes are, and diagnostic trees to fix them. also it allows you to monitor any thing the ecu picks up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS?psc=1&... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS?psc=1&...

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote