The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
pat english

Help with sm465 mainshaft swap

I'm converting my 2wd sm 465 to 4x4.I got the trans in trade and bought a new mainshaft from a local shop.I pressed off the one gear but the other feels like something is going to break or go flying out of the press.is there a trick to getting this last gear off?

pat english is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
v30crewcab

Re: Help with sm465 mainshaft swap

going the right way with it?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by v30crewcab View Post
going the right way with it?
I could have been pushing the wrong way.It goes the opposite direction of the one i just pushed off correct?

It needs to go the direction im pointing right?
Old 10-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #4
A1971Blazer

Been awhile since I rebuilt one but IIRC the slotted bushing/bearing presses off at the same time as that hub......... you might try a little heat on the bushing as you press on it....they are tight.....!
Attached Images

Last edited by A1971Blazer; 10-02-2015 at 01:45 PM.
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #5
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
Been awhile since I rebuilt one but IIRC the slotted bushing/bearing presses off at the same time as that hub......... you might try a little heat on the bushing as you press on it....they are tight.....!
so i have 25,28,30,& 33 still on my shaft correct?the gear im looking at is really 2 pieces?
Old 10-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat english View Post
so i have 25,28,30,& 33 still on my shaft correct?the gear im looking at is really 2 pieces?
That's how it looks to me.......those black, slotted 2 bushings press on from each side and one of them holds the synchronizer hub in place.....look inside the edge and make sure you remove the circular clips......if it has them.
I have a full service manual somewhere............looked briefly today but didn't find it...if I do I'll scan you a copy.
re-assembly is tricky if you've never done it....also you can get the service manual on line.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #7
kwmech

It presses towards the rear of the transmission and the bushing will come with it. You should have new bushings anyways... take a sharp chisel and smack the bushing horizontally or with the alignment of the shaft. This should crack the bushing and relieve some of the pressure. Put in press and remove gear.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
pat english

Quote:
That's how it looks to me.......those black, slotted 2 bushings press on from each side and one of them holds the synchronizer hub in place.....look inside the edge and make sure you remove the circular clips......if it has them.
I have a full service manual somewhere............looked briefly today but didn't find it...if I do I'll scan you a copy.
re-assembly is tricky if you've never done it....also you can get the service manual on line.
The circular clips your talking about are 27 & 29 correct?That would be great if you sent a copy.I'm sure re assembly will be a pain but i took some pics along the way and i have another sm465 i can pop the top off of for reference.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #9
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
It presses towards the rear of the transmission and the bushing will come with it. You should have new bushings anyways... take a sharp chisel and smack the bushing horizontally or with the alignment of the shaft. This should crack the bushing and relieve some of the pressure. Put in press and remove gear.
Ok cool.So i was pressing the right way.It just didn't want to budge.I left the shaft at work so I will try the heat then press trick on Monday.I don't have new bushings.I will get the syncro,bearing,c clips, & gasket kit.I think they are around $150 but the kits i found don't have the new bushings.IS this a must to replace when rebuilding the trans?How can you tell if they're worn out?
Old 10-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat english View Post
Ok cool.So i was pressing the right way.It just didn't want to budge.I left the shaft at work so I will try the heat then press trick on Monday.I don't have new bushings.I will get the syncro,bearing,c clips, & gasket kit.I think they are around $150 but the kits i found don't have the new bushings.IS this a must to replace when rebuilding the trans?How can you tell if they're worn out?
When the gear assembly is on the bushing, it shouldn't have any play in it when you try to wiggle it side to side.
It should be a nice smooth running fit........ They rarely wear out, but I always replaced them just because I had the old ones off and normally I would buy the entire rebuild kit with all new parts.

You can get just the bushings from http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/t...s/sm465-parts/
Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
pat english

Quote:
When the gear assembly is on the bushing, it shouldn't have any play in it when you try to wiggle it side to side.
It should be a nice smooth running fit........ They rarely wear out, but I always replaced them just because I had the old ones off and normally I would buy the entire rebuild kit with all new parts.

You can get just the bushings from http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/t...s/sm465-parts/
Ok cool.I can probably reuse my bushings then.I finally got that gear off.Now whats left is #25.The last bushing.It seems like there is some type of wedge in this bushing but i cant find it on the diagram.Ill snap a pic today.