The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
benbloom

Should I be unhappy with this mechanics work?

I recently took my truck in to my local mechanic to deal with a timing issue, they fixed the timing issues but also recommended i change my spark plug wires. i agreed, but now that i am seeing the newly installed wires I'm wondering if they did a terrible job. the wires are way longer than need be, and floppily all over the place. i expected them to look more professional, and organized. one wire was even resting on the exhaust manifold and was badly burned. il post pictures.
What would you fellas do if this was your truck? should i bring it up and ask them to put my old wires back, and do it myself?
Or did they do an okay job, and I'm fretting over nothing...?
all opinions are appreciated, thanks!!
Attached Images

benbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:50 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Should I be unhappy with this mechanics work?

mech should replace the burned one - and, yes, that's an indication of a shoddy job. I wouldn't be too concerned with the length as long as they're properly routed and not lying on hot stuff (anymore). It's perhaps an indication they are a pre-cut/fitted boot type and he didn't install the ends (i.e. didn't have to). Based on the burnt wire, that might be a good thing.

By the way, the passenger side ones lying on the heater hose are not ok. Personally, I'd go show him the burnt one, tell him you want the old ones back on - then go buy your own and install them. Probably won't work, but, at least you will get his attention and maybe he'll redo it a little more professionally.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:54 PM   #3
mike16

generic one size fits all ignition solution/ did you give them the ok to just instlal them or to custom fit them to your trucks specific application. and are you willing to pay thier rate per hour to have it done right. its a simple enough job to do your self espcially if your OCD about under hood appearance
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:54 PM   #4

I think it looks like crap. If I was paying someone to do wires, I would expect them to be on wire looms that keep them from touching anything hot and routed nicely
70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:03 AM   #5
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Unsatisfactory work. Personally, I check their work before leaving any shop after they did any work and point out unacceptable work. Take it back and demand a new set of custom installed wires installed by a mechanic other than the one you lost trust in. You could have bought some cheap ready made wires and done better yourself.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Wrong wires.

I'm no expert, but seems you need some wire retainers on those valve covers. That's not necessarily on them.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-02-2015 at 12:33 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:47 AM   #7
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbloom View Post
What would you fellas do if this was your truck? should i bring it up and ask them to put my old wires back, and do it myself?
If it were my truck, I'd take it back and ask them if they have any experience working on older engines. I would give them an opportunity to fix their mistake. If they understand and correct the fault, it could be a sign of a good responsible shop. However, if they couldn't see the glaring incompetence in that spark plug wire routing I'd start probing them as to where their education came from.

My automotive service management class taught that when people have complaints, many don't bring up their concerns with the shop, but rather just go elsewhere.

ALWAYS hold businesses accountable for service provided. Negative feedback has the potential to improve technicians' skills.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:34 AM   #8
benbloom

Thanks guys, actually some good news, i haven't payed yet, does that make my position any better? obviously i want to be decent to the guy if he is the same to me, but should i try to ask him to put my old ones back and do it myself? or just pay for the wires and go to a better shop
?
Old 10-02-2015, 01:35 AM   #9
jdw

Seriously? There's nothing to debate here. That's not even shoddy wiring, that's junk tossed under the hood that won't work, doesn't work. I wouldn't be be less than pissed; and you should at the very least receive a full refund, if not funds to repair whatever else they messed up.
jdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:51 AM   #10
cdowns

Me i'd worry alot more about that shoddy rubber fuel line than the wires
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:13 AM   #11
Redline novdog

Aren't plug wires supposed to run underneath the rams horn exhaust manifolds? looks like a hurried job to me.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #12
msgross

1. ditto on the fuel line, that could be a dangerous situation.

2. he probably already tossed your old wires

3. did you give him specifics on the install? It would have cost you more to route them as the original were, I assume that your old wires weren't run that way either though. Ramhorns should be routed under but that is a lot more labor than you might want to pay.

4. personnaly, I'd never pay a mech to install wires. However, if they are functional then he did his job, even if it wasn't the cleanest.

I'd buy a basic set of these and install them myself, pretty easy just remove one valve cover bolt at a time. If any wires are too long then you can shorten them and reattach the boots yourself. Just don't remove more than one wire at a time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3814030...chn=ps&lpid=82
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #13
EARNHARDT#3

That looks like it was done by their oil change guy LOL
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #14
raggedjim

You can't pay someone to love your truck like you do...

That looks like typical "paid by the hour" work to me.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #15
Codez67Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
You can't pay someone to love your truck like you do...

That looks like typical "paid by the hour" work to me.

Good luck, Rg
That is exactly right on the spot! Unless you go to a shop that is all about working on classic vehicles, you'll never get the professionalism and care that only you can give.

93' Toyota pickup 2WD 2dr and 32mpg. Daily driver. 300k+

Members I've met...
Mister-B
Codez67Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #16
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codez67Chevy View Post
That is exactly right on the spot! Unless you go to a shop that is all about working on classic vehicles, you'll never get the professionalism and care that only you can give.
Right on.

"you took your truck to them". You asked them to do work that either you were unable to do or unwilling to do. when they asked if you wanted new wires you said yes. You didn't ask if they were custom fitted wires. Those are one size fits all and take 5 to 10 minutes to install. Custom fitted wires took me hours last week and were a pain in the but.
"You have to decide what you want up front. Communicate that to them. Agree to pay the freight to get what you want". Or simply do it yourself.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #17
benbloom

yes true, i took it too them, however the job i did was similar to the one they did, and i had cut my wires to at least fit right, so i assumed when he brought it up that they would do a professional looking job, as they are professionals. he also said he wanted to charge 200$ (2hours) of labor for this job, which make me think they would be doing it right. anyone here could do the job they did in a realistic 10 minutes.
as for my fuel line, what should i be using...?
thanks for your opinion, i do agree i didn't handle it very well when telling them what i wanted to be done.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #18
Ruscal

Good work takes time to do. I don't think you got your 2 hours worth. Wires should not touch anything but insulated clips. I would ask the mechanic to replace the damaged wire and secure the wires to not flop around.
I spent around 4 hours installing mine. They were secured by bolt on insulated trays down both sides of the valve covers and individual clips where needed. The wires were shortened appropriately to make things tidy. Mine is not an original restoration, so I could do what I wanted to get the job done.
Fuel lines are the same, no rubbing, no flopping, no hot. Keep them secure, cool and well clamped at the fittings.
Russ
Old 10-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #19
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbloom View Post
I recently took my truck in to my local mechanic to deal with a timing issue, they fixed the timing issues but also recommended i change my spark plug wires. i agreed, but now that i am seeing the newly installed wires I'm wondering if they did a terrible job. the wires are way longer than need be, and floppily all over the place. i expected them to look more professional, and organized. one wire was even resting on the exhaust manifold and was badly burned. il post pictures.
That's just a hack job. My dog could do better!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #20
trac209

I'll give you the best advice I can offer,if your going to be in the classic vehicle hobby get yourself to a point where you don't have to rely on mechanics to do the less complicated things. These vehicles are far beyond the knowledge base of today's tech who's main tool is a diagnostic computer. Although simplistic in nature it's like handing an 8 track player to a 16 year old lol. They simply haven't learned how old stuff works. Around here you can count shops on two fingers that even know what a carb is and they still won't touch them.

Last edited by trac209; 10-02-2015 at 01:33 PM.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #21
my67c20

Maybe a day late, but i am going to offer my 2 cents. First off, what did it look like before they replaced the wires? Sometimes, work is done compared to the original work. Second, you took it to a shop to fix a timing issue, why, and what was the issue? Third, why did you choose this garage? I see that you have a few posts on this forum, not sure in what capacity, but lots of helpful people here, and it costs nothing but the time to ask and respond. Not trying to call you out, and you don't need to answer the questions if you don't want to. Although it seems like you value this boards advice, so we can help. Personally, i would chalk it up to a lesson learned, and point this out to the owner, maybe have you credit some work in the future, then go out and buy a good set of cut to fit wires, and replace the fuel line in the process. After you finish the work, then maybe stop back at the garage and show them what you expected as a customer. I have found that sometimes, its better to take the lump then fight the system, cause you never know when you might need them later.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #22
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
Aren't plug wires supposed to run underneath the rams horn exhaust manifolds? looks like a hurried job to me.
Yes they are suppose to be routed under the manifolds on the 69-72 trucks with a 350. There are looms made for this from the factory. Yes it is a pain in the keester to install these wires correctly. The other problem is the over the counter parts store wires are always 6 inches longer than they should be regardless of if they are routed correctly or not.

My advise is to buy a set of Taylor 7 mm wires and a terminal crimping tool and make your own wires, not before doing the research it takes to route them they way they should be with the correct plug wire retainers.

Good luck,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #23
benbloom

i brought it in because i don't have a timing light, and have never used one and so i thought might as well take her in replace the distributor cap and get the timing right. as for what it looked like before, I had actually put the last set of wires in myself, cut them to the right length and then installed them similarly to how they did it, except my job looked quite a bit more tidy, and the only downside was they had to be kind of clamped back to fit the plugs tighter every tune up. i chose these guys because they are local, and the guy in the office is a good guy it seems. your right, i should have done this one myself, and having this forum is a huge reason why it would have been possible. thanks for the advice, and to you all for the help!
Old 10-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

It is what you get most places if you just say replace the wires. That's what the parts guys will send and that's what the mechanic puts on. The job probably didn't come to him in factory looms under the manifolds, so unless there were others in use, he is going to put new plug wires in the same way. I do my own and to get ones that fit going over the top I get something like '75 Vette wires, IIRC. Those would have HEI, but the wires were run over the top like my truck.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #25
Lou Boffa

x2 on what Tbone and others have said. Once you have made and installed your own set, you will never go back to pre cut wires. Buy a good crimping tool. Make 2 sets at a time and save the second for when you do your next tune up. No excuse for sloppy work...imho.