The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Steve66

Window won't roll up all the way

I did a bunch of work to the doors over the last few weeks and on the drivers door I ran into a problem. The fuzzy seals at the bottom of the window interfere with the metal strip at the bottom of the glass preventing it from rolling up all the way. I've tried rearranging things a bit but I don't think that's going to work. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I only lack about a 1/4" from fully closing. I was thinking about pulling the little clips off and using door seal glue to stick them in place but I'm not sure that's such a great idea. The passenger window is fine. I got my parts from Steele and they look identical to the old ones (and the window didn't roll up all the way with those either).
Steve66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Window won't roll up all the way

Look at the ends and make sure they are not poking into the run channel. I had to work mine around some to get them out the way where they were sitting in the wrong spot.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
Thommyknocker

I'm seeing the same thing. Still havent figured it out
Old 10-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
Steve66

I had some time to fool with it today and I figured it out. The problem is that the metal strip that the window glass is attached to is hitting the whisker strips on the edge of the window keeping you from rolling it up the last little bit. What I did was use a wooden wedge that I had lying around to gently open the window slot up a little and take a slight curve out of it. Also the metal tab that the strips fasten too was bent outwards slightly and also not straight. It was fairly tedious but I used a pry tool and a hammer to reshape them. I reinstalled everything and I can get the window closed now but it's still not quite right and I've about halfway boogered the fuzzy strips up fooling with them so much. Of course I had to tear the door apart to do all this but it really wasn't that bad. I'm getting to where I can yank the glass and vent door out about as fast as an Indy pit crew lol. It's better now. We'll see how it does on the road. If the wind doesn't whistle through it anywhere I'll probably just leave it.
Steve66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
1966shortwide

I had the same issue when putting strip's in and new window glass.what I did was take the window off the channel and bevel the edge of the channel both side's front to back full length of channel's.this allow's the channel to spread the strip's apart and no flat edge to catch the strip's. You will have to remove glass from channel to do the taper or you will scratch glass..The bevel start's at top next to glass and taper's down ,You don't have to go down very far,just so long as you have a taper about 1/8 inch or so.I used a flap wheel on a electric angle grinder as it make's a smooth bevel. There will be a slight resistance as your fully roll up window ,but it will go up without catching and knocking.you will have to get new window setting tape to reinstall window into lower channel.when you take window from channel be sure to mark position of glass to channel ,save's guessing where it was setting.This worked for me.

Last edited by 1966shortwide; 10-07-2015 at 10:03 PM.
1966shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote