The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
Tod59

1952 GMC V8 conversion?

Hey Guys-

Now I'm looking at buying a 1952 GMC short box with a Fatman Mustang II lowered front suspension. The owner has a 292 straight 6 engine with offenhauser intake and 3 webber carbs coupled to a TH200r auto tranny and a ford 9" rear in the truck now. Cool set up and it runs fine in my test drive.

Question: If I were to buy this truck, how difficult would it be to install a V8 engine with this setup? This would be my first truck purchase. Any other information I haven't given, just please ask. Im starting to get cold feet.
Tod59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:22 AM   #2
Tod59

Re: 1952 GMC V8 conversion?

sorry

Last edited by Tod59; 10-06-2015 at 12:26 AM. Reason: sorry
Old 10-06-2015, 01:47 AM   #3
dsraven

need pics to see what you have for mounts etc. I don't really think it would be that tough to install a v8, depending on your fab skills. you would probably need some new motor mounts, trans crossmember, throttle linkage, exhaust system, driveshaft, possibly need to reroute the steering shaft to clear the engine/exhaust, possibly need a new rad or a recore with more cores-depending on the inlet and outlet positions, possibly need to do something with the front springs to handle a weight difference. possibly need to modify the inner fenders. if you are serious buy a donor vehicle so you get a good running engine and trans combo and a whole whack of the stuff you will need. that way you get it running and driving and later you can do something with the engine upgrade if that is what you want.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
Coach529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod59 View Post
Hey Guys-

Now I'm looking at buying a 1952 GMC short box with a Fatman Mustang II lowered front suspension. The owner has a 292 straight 6 engine with offenhauser intake and 3 webber carbs coupled to a TH200r auto tranny and a ford 9" rear in the truck now. Cool set up and it runs fine in my test drive.

Question: If I were to buy this truck, how difficult would it be to install a V8 engine with this setup? This would be my first truck purchase. Any other information I haven't given, just please ask. Im starting to get cold feet.
Sounds like it is set up pretty good......I would personally keep the 292.

Could be as simple as new motor mounts and a tranny mount. Might have to do some modification to the steering. A SBC weighs less than a 292, so that will not be an issue.

We need some more info to give you better info........and of course some pictures would be great.

Good luck!!

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
chincha805

if you decide to do the swap, i could be a buyer for the 292/th200 .
chincha805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #6

just did the v8 conversion, a big job (for me) I am doing a 54 next and plan on doing the 6 cylinder side draft ( think early vette) as the 8 is so done by everyone and I want something a bit different. So if My opinion counts just keep it as is...I think its way cooler
1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
curmudgeon

I also suggest keeping the 292, that being said, the straight six has offset motor mounts so new mounts need to be fabricated. The Fatman suspension has been engineered for V8 conversions so the steering linkage should clear. If you are using a sbc then it should also bolt up to the TH200R. This would not be considered a difficult conversion, refer to the build threads here elsewhere, but as mentioned would involve a lot of detail changes. Think about why you want to go to a V8, and what you hope to gain with the conversion. Is the power gains worth swapping in a used 350?? On the other hand, a nicely built up 350 or 383 or even an LS would mean drivetrain/rearend upgrades as well.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #8
lv2tri2

Keep the 6 if you want more power, a turbo charger could be done, not without some expense, but everything else still works and you have something different.
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
dsraven

first question to ask is why is it for sale, then, who installed the front end and have they got alignment specs from the shop that did that part. see if they are within specs for the front end. that will hopefully solve the question of was the install done properly. then check the fit and finish to see if it is up to your expectations. look at stuff like under dash wiring and how it was all finished, welding at undercarriage modifications, are the brake lines connected to hangers or are they just hanging off a random hanger or possibly cable tied to something. does the hardware match or was it put together out of the spare parts bin. that kind of stuff. at the end of the day it comes down to price right? does the build and finish match the asking price? the v8 install wouldn't be that tough if you come into it with some level of skill. if not, maybe just look for one that is a v8 already, then the same questions could be asked.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #10
_Ogre

back to the original question:
Quote:
Question: If I were to buy this truck, how difficult would it be to install a V8 engine with this setup?
depends on your fabrication abilities or willingness to open your wallet
that truck never had a factory v8, typically the biggest issue is the steering box location
with the mustII front end that is no longer a problem

bolt the sbc to the 200r4, fabricate and weld up some motor mounts and that's it
of course you'll need to change the truck over to 12v to start it

so... what are your abilities and skill set?
can you fabricate and weld?
or at least willing to learn?

of course the easy way is: if you like the truck as is, run it as is

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #11
_Ogre

i just noticed your the same guy who wanted to know about buying this truck for $19,500
i say move on, find something you want
if your wife likes a primered 52 that needs $10k of work, she'll love the next $20k truck you find with paint and a v8

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #12
Tod59

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i just noticed your the same guy who wanted to know about buying this truck for $19,500
i say move on, find something you want
if your wife likes a primered 52 that needs $10k of work, she'll love the next $20k truck you find with paint and a v8
Ha ha ha! Yes she will. So yes, I am the same person that posted the other question about the cost of the '52GMC truck. I just got back to a computer today so I wanted to quickly respond and thank all of you for the help, advice and insight you have provided.

After some "soul searching", my wife and I have decided to pass on this truck. Thank you all for your advice.

Regards,
Tod and Nancy