The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2015, 12:23 AM   #1
jaws61

55 second gen fenders vrs a 58?? Wider?

Hey Guys
I"ve been doing a tonne of reading and thinking of doing a Trailblazer swap for a DD. In saying so I've read up Dug224 build up as well as rustymarco and Ricott builds. Thanks for the build progress and write ups. You guys did a awesome job!!!!!!and I wouldn't be here with out you guys.

My question is the 58 fender wider then then 55,56,57 fender because I know there is a issue with fenders hitting the tires? I really love the 57 style and its what I'm going to have and I want to lower this truck as far as I can go but want to know if I should even start with this or just do a clip instead on the original frame?

I'm pulling 5.3 out of a 2003 Silverado as we speak,

Is it also with the time looking for a TB that had a V8 in it to save time or get lucky enough to get a 6.0? Is that the same tran id want in the TB too?

Thoughts and opinions are more than welcome!
Thanks
jaws61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:58 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: 55 second gen fenders vrs a 58?? Wider?

I am building a 57 and plan to drop it on an envoy AWD frame using the stock 4.2l. this combo is quite a bit more common than the v8 option. not sure if I will be able to incorporate the a/c as planned, according to rusty. the trans mounts are in different locations between these two setups so decide before you purchase or plan on doing some modifications to mounts/crossmembers if you buy the 4.2 and want to install the 5.3. the silverado pan won't work either, from what I can figure out. the auto trans is supposed to work except you need to install the v8 bell housing-it should bolt on if you are using a 4l60e set up. have you seen the lingenfelter conversion where they used all new body parts? it looks like they have cambered the front end to get fender clearance on the 55-57 style trucks, plus it sits taller. I asked dugg this question about his 58 and he says his tires don't rub. rustymarco had tire interference issues with his. he got around that by smaller diameter tires on stock steelies I think.
what is your plan for the base? 2 wheel drive-AWD? keep us posted with plans and pics. mine is still in the garage waiting for time to work on it.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:59 AM   #3
dsraven

which Ontario are you from, Canada or USA?
Old 10-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
_Ogre

the 58-9 fenders are wider than the 55-7 fenders, only to the inside
the outside measurement of all the 55-9 trucks is basically the same

read the finished builds using trailblazer before you make your decision
then read the hundreds of finished builds using the stock frame; clipped or mustII
frame swaps are not fast, cheap or for the fabrication challenged

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
ricott

Ogre is right on with his advice. I'm glad I chose the Trailblazer route, but it is not for the faint of heart! I love to fabricate, so the Trailblazer frame was right up my alley. If I can just get my other projects out of the way, (that will probably take retirement!) my "hybrid" will get finished. If you determine this is how you are going to proceed, I will be happy to discuss offline - just PM me.

Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
dsraven

hey ogre, do you have a pic of the inside of those 58-9 fenders? what is the difference, the rolled edge? when I get time to start working on mine again I will try to figure out how to start a build thread. i thought I had that done but then I couldn't get it finished, or whatever, so gave up. hopefully gonna get back in the shop within the month.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
OrrieG

Not a task force but use the search box above to find Bbeeps Envoy build. He ended up using big truck fender and hood to get front suspension clearance. You might consider the same strategy for the 57. Also gives insight into issues you will encounter.

Last edited by OrrieG; 10-06-2015 at 05:25 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
hey ogre, do you have a pic of the inside of those 58-9 fenders? what is the difference, the rolled edge?
the difference is 4 headlights on the good looking trucks vs 2 headlights
the cabs are the same with the same profile for the fenders and hood
the hood on the 58-9 is narrower on front and more tapered

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
jaws61

Hey dsraven
Awesome to hear about your build! I"ve seen the lingenfelter conversion, where I got one of the ideas to do the project. My plan right now it get the 5.3 and tran out of the truck, the next step would be search my uncles yard is there is a trailblazer there and go from there. I'm thinking id like to find a V8 one then go from there but have to wait and see what I can find and what comes around.

I'm in Ontario Canada, too

_Ogre
Thanks for the info and if the inner fender is different but the outer is the same I'll just make up my own inner fender, play with them till like what I want, for sure wont be as pretty but I plan to drive this truck..
I"ve been reading all the different builds and plan to keep doing that.

ricotta
Thanks, I understand this isn't easiest project but that's part of the experience and enjoyment for me. If I end up going this way, I'll appreciate to PM you for some question and help. So thanks already!!!

OrrieG
I'll make sure to look up that build too!

Thanks
Guys!!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
dsraven

hey jaws, I got my original frame all boxed and a mustangII welded on, a four link and a ford 8.8 out back with all intentions of finishing it that way. air bags all around, newer style dash planned with cluster to match the 5.3 donor vehicle etc. then I seen the dugg thread and thought to myself," envoy is big discs with abs all around, all wheel drive, itis already set up with a fuel tank etc, and the 4.2 would be cool just to be different. if not enough go then maybe turbo, even cooler. now I have a donor envoy just waiting for time to start up again. big reno plus summer off at the lake and second job is backed up like crazy. gonna start on it again soon hopefully.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #11
jaws61

dsraven
I'll be looking forward to seeing your build for sure and keeping a eye out for your fenders and any issues you might have.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:42 PM   #12
dsraven

worst case scenario I flare my fenders to clear the tires. I plan on using some stock aluminum wheels. wife has the purse strings ha ha. now if they were shoes or a purse.....
Old 10-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #13
jaws61

Yeah guessing worst case you could flare them. Its problems of the wheels hitting the inner flare on the turn right? Does anyone have a picture of the wheels in fender with them turned to see how much clearance there is would be great! Could maybe find a way to put front on air bags too.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:15 AM   #14
dsraven

Dugg had a pic in his thread but wheels straight. Not gonna make a difference anyway. It is what it is. Cross that bridge when I get there.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #15
ricott

If you look at picture below you can see how much a 29.5 inch tire (the ones normally found on a trailblazer) are up in the fender with approximately 7 inches of ground clearance. The top of the front tires are approximately 2.75 inches above the fender lip. At the 7 inch height, the rockers (bottom of step) are level with the bottom of the trailblazer frame. The tire really "fills up" the front wheel well.

Doug went with a 26.5 tire in the front (as I recall) because he wanted some rake to his truck, and it also reduced the amount of tire under the fender - that is (was) a good solution. I think I'm going to raise my entire truck 1 inch (so that it has approximately 8 inches of ground clearance - this will leave me with approximately 1.75 inches to deal with. After studing this I plan to "open up" the fender lip ., and theAt 7inches
Old 10-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #16
ricott

Here is the rest of my solution:

I think I'm going to raise my entire truck 1 inch (so that it has approximately 8 inches of ground clearance - this will leave me with approximately 1.75 inches to deal with. After thinking about this, my solution is to "open up" the fender lip (expand the wheel opening some). I have looked at the way the lines of the fender work and it appears I could raise the top of the lip approximately 2 inches, and expand the front opening by 1 inch, and change the "slope" of the rear opening to gain a little bit. While this may seem like a lot of work, it is no different than welding in cab corners or anything else, and I think even the purists would be fooled. The final possibility would be to also go with a 28 inch tire (would gain another .75 of an inch). This would give the truck a little rake.

If you are a fabricator, I think the trailblazer frame is a really good solution. It is super stout, has big brakes, power rack and pinion, fuel system, great rear end setup and spare tire rack holder - and readily available parts should anything break. Good luck - and start a build thread - after you determine how you plan to go.

Ricky
Old 10-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #17
dsraven

hey ricott, how will you solve the taper in the door skin, front to rear? are you going to reskin with a fabbed panel or just rework what you have? my extended cab uses the original door and adds a small window behind that. I never thought of extending the door opening. good thinkin. are you back on the truck or still working on the vette? (nice car by the way. always loved that style).
Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #18
G&R's57GMC

Here's a few pic's of the SSR frame which is a long WB TrailBlazer frame cut down to 116" wb at the factory.
Attached Images

'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote