The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
sev85

400 sbc build need head and ignition advice

Hey guys I have posted before and it has been awhile as everyone knows life happens was in a bad car wreck and just now getting back to being mobile

I use the truck to play in the mud alot but it will see minimal road use in bad weather or occassional cruise or to a show maybe but specs are

I have a 1982 gmc high Sierra. 4 inch lift kit 35x14.50x15 super swamper boggers 1978 400 sbc 509 casting came out of a motor home trans is a th350 stage 1 kit 203 tcase with part time kit gm Corp 10 bolt 3.42 gears in front gm Corp 12 bolt 3.42 gears rear Both open diffs

Motor has stock heads stock bore very mild rv cam has edelbrock rpm air gap intake edelbrock 1406 carb with edelbrock avs thunder 1465 upgrade kit and 7/8s headman headers to a 3 inch collector to a 2 1/2 inch exhaust with flowmaster I believe 40 series mufflers have to double check mufflers

Also running a 2 core triple pass aluminum radiator with dual 3500 cfm electric fans over heating is never a concern at idle runs about 180-200 and about 210 when into hard playing in mud

My questions are I am upgrading to a msd 6a 6200 ignition box and msd distributor and coil or should I do the msd hei setup?

Secondly should I just break down and do the vortec heads or spend the money on aluminum like I want to

Also is there a suggested cam as I want my power band roughly 1000 to 5500 maybe 6000 rpm max? Dont wanna run any higher as for right now I'm staying externally balanced with stock bottom end will look into upgrading the bottom end for more durability later

I would like to be around 400hp and 500ft lb of torque for just a fun driving truck Thats is a torque monster

Any suggestions with part numbers or links is much appreciated also what kind of fuel economy are you getting and what are your personal builds and opinions for what is reliable and works best this thing is just being built to be a fun truck nothing outrageous
sev85 is offline   Reply With Quote