The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
CousinTone

New clutch in 68 6cyl ISSUES

Hi, I'm relatively new and have a few project trucks. I'm good mechanically but my 68 won't allow me to reinstall the trans after changing the clutch. I have tried tilting, wobbling, lifting engine and cursing but I can't get that tranny past the crossmember. Does anyone have any suggestions or advices on how to get this tranny back in and my wife's parking spot reopened....that is the most important part! Thanks. CousinTone in OC CA
CousinTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Lattimer

Re: New clutch in 68 6cyl ISSUES

Is it that you can't fit in in there, or it won't slide all the way into place?

Usually when it won't go in all the way (last inch or so) its not centered properly on the pilot bushing. If its farther out than that, check to make sure your input shaft splines are clean and the shaft rotates easily so it can line up.

Crazy potential issue, but original clutch and input shaft are coarse splined, I think it was 10 spline. Later stuff is fine splined at 20-something splines. If somebody gave you the wrong clutch disk, that could be an issue. Should be visually obvious, and pretty unlikely, but still possible.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
CousinTone

its like it grew and doesn't fit anymore. I properly aligned the splines. Do I need to disconnect the front engine mounts and really raise it high and then align them somehow? I used to do this in an hour on my 69 mustang (my dad was the type to buy fast "looking" but minimal wallet opening......), but this is a B**ch
Old 10-16-2015, 12:12 AM   #4
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinTone View Post
its like it grew and doesn't fit anymore. I properly aligned the splines. Do I need to disconnect the front engine mounts and really raise it high and then align them somehow? I used to do this in an hour on my 69 mustang (my dad was the type to buy fast "looking" but minimal wallet opening......), but this is a B**ch
Which trans is it? Which engine? Original engine and trans? Or have they been swapped for something other than original?

Are you installing with the bell housing on the trans or on the engine? I've found it better to install the bell housing on the engine, get the bell housing mounts on the crossmember, then put the trans in.

You do have to jack the back of the engine up a bit, but you should not have to touch the forward engine mounts.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:08 AM   #5
CousinTone

I'm installing bell housing and tranny together....doin it in stages sounds like a good idea. Thaks all for your wisdom!!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinTone View Post
I'm installing bell housing and tranny together....doin it in stages sounds like a good idea. Thaks all for your wisdom!!
OK, definitely put them in separate. Its a whole lot easier.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
CousinTone

thanks to all of you for your help on this process. While it has taken a while with life getting in the way, as we all know. I've been sidelined with my shoulder rebuild and just got back to work on my 68, 6cyl 3ott. After reading your responses and reading other threads, I have learned that the tranny body will slide right in with two 1/2" headLESS bolts in the two top bell housing tabs. With those two little "bolts" my 2 weeks of frustration was over with a swoosh, clunk & bonk, it was in 100% of the way and was bolted into its home.

If not for all of you on this board, I'd still be under the truck sweating and my blood boiling, literally, it's been 100 here lately. THANK YOU for you ideas, responses and support. Without this community, I'd still be scratching my bald head. We have the best bunch of people in this community and I just wanted to say thank you! I'm available if any of you are local, I enjoy helping and meeting others.