The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
sventinker

Davis speed equipment power steering pump bracket for 292

My brackets just arrived I was wondering if anyone here has installed one and what belts they used?

I also don't have a stock alternator mount or adjustment arm for this motor and I cant find an aftermarket one listed for the 292 motor. I have seen the ones that are similar but cant quite tell if they will fit. Does anyone know what fits?
sventinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
sventinker

Re: Davis speed equipment power steering pump bracket for 292

I take it there are not too many 292's on this forum. I was going to post pictures of the bracket as it is a work of art but I figured the manufacturer didn't post detailed pictures on the eBay ad so I better protect his interests. Although if someone has the skill to reproduce this from a picture then they could probably figure it out without one.

The bracket fits perfect, The welds are immaculate. And the belt size ended up being 52" I will post a installed picture when I am done. I highly recommend this bracket.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
sventinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventinker View Post
I take it there are not too many 292's on this forum. I was going to post pictures of the bracket as it is a work of art but I figured the manufacturer didn't post detailed pictures on the eBay ad so I better protect his interests. Although if someone has the skill to reproduce this from a picture then they could probably figure it out without one.

The bracket fits perfect, The welds are immaculate. And the belt size ended up being 52" I will post a installed picture when I am done. I highly recommend this bracket.
correction 54" belt sorry
Old 10-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
Motorfist

We've got a 68 c10 with a 292 that I am wanting to put power steering on so I am interested in any details you've got. Thanks
72 K10 LWB Rust Bucket Hunting Truck
Motorfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:57 PM   #5
sventinker

Well for starters we had already added power steering with a homemade bracket with parts from an early square body. Adding this bracket was to move the pump up and the alternator down to allow the use of factory hoses to allow me to put my inner fenders back on. Plus the pump leaked and it was driving me nuts.

The pump I chose was from a 73 c10 sbc and I chose ot because it was 35 dollars with a lifetime warranty and it uses a bolt on pulley with the necessary stud mount on the back. When I get further I will post more.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
sventinker

Ok so with research I have done with looking for the lower alternator bracket I learned that my 292 had an offset pulley. Some people call it a weighted pulley because the backside of it is thicker giving it more weight. But in reality it offsets the pulley forward. I know this to be true of the harmonic balancer I have has the same offset.

My issue today is I had to make an adapter to mount the style bracket I do have (example photo attached) which puts the alternator near the stock location. Well the belt going to the PS pump hits the alternator pulley nut so I ordered a gm double pulley for the 10si I will just let the PS belt run on the alternator pulley for a little. The pulley has the same offset I would need if I ever find a stock alternator bracket.

I have seen on some c30 box trucks with the 292 use this double pulley, now that I need some parts I cant find one in the junk yard.
Attached Images