The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
Barbecue

Question Air conditioner delete.

Hey there,

I'm in the middle of swapping my exhaust manifolds (to '93 chev ones) and intake manifold (eddy performer) on my '86 Silverado (350). I've had to remove the air conditioner compressor as its bracket's are bolted to the exhaust manifolds from the factory. I would like to leave the air conditioner off to keep the engine bay clear and avoid its complex brackets. Just looking to check with you guys if you've run into problems with this, particularly the climate controls - will my ability to use windshield defrost be affected?

Thanks in advance, folks.

BBQ
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Air conditioner delete.

The compressor's absence won't affect your ability to direct air out of the various vents using the climate controls. It might impact the defogging ability during the time before the engine gets up to full operating temps. The defrost setting normally runs the compressor to remove humidity and increase the defogging of the air blown onto the windshield.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
Barbecue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
The compressor's absence won't affect your ability to direct air out of the various vents using the climate controls. It might impact the defogging ability during the time before the engine gets up to full operating temps. The defrost setting normally runs the compressor to remove humidity and increase the defogging of the air blown onto the windshield.
Thank you for the reply, Dead Parrot. It never gets too cold here, although somewhat humid throughout the rainy winters. I went through last winter with the compressor not working anyway and the de-fogging worked well enough. Think I'll go ahead and start removal!

Thanks
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
J Knight

If you want to clean up the firewall too, you can get one of these to replace your a/c box.

http://www.acdelete.com/pages/73-90_Truck.htm

Old 10-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
Rubble

I'm not sure if your going into the heater/ac box or not,but this is what I've done on a couple of my ac trucks.Most of the ac components were missing anyway,so when I replaced the heater core,I removed the evaporator & sealed up the holes where the ac hoses came out.I got way more air flow in the cab now,I didn't care about ac, but wanted a decent heater & it worked great.

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote