The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
MacQuigley

Engine Problems

My dad had just started stripping the 350SB that came with my C10.

On taking the sump off he fount it full of water, and I mean full over 1 gallon of water in it.

Both us are racking our brains to come up with a way that much water could have got into the engine without there being a crack in the block somewhere.

Has anyone ever come across something like this before?

It would be a shame to have to scrap it as otherwise it seems to be a nice block. It a 4 bolt main block that has obviously seen some work done on it as its over bored and fitted with high compression pistons.
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
62step

Re: Engine Problems

Head gasket maybe? Maybe the PO left the engine out in the weather and just threw the motor in there. I would take it to a machine shop to have it magnifluxed before you scrap it.
62step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
Chevy Fleetside

It is cheaper to buy a new engine then to rebuild. At least in my area. I called a machine shop and he said he just did a 60's 327 and it cost the customer $3200. ouch.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

X2 have it magnafluxed and checked for cracks.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
MacQuigley

I think there is a high possibility it was left out at some point. It wasn't actually installed in the truck, it was resting on the cross members and held there with a rope!

As for buying a replacement that's not so easy in Scotland Im afraid that's not an easy option. Though I have priced a block just to see what I can get and the starting price for just a bare block is about $1500.

I will get it checked before doing anything anyway.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
62step

Not sure what the shipping would be to you for this..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=685758
62step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
MacQuigley

Id not be able to get them to ship it for me. They make it clear they don't ship to the UK. And I think the cost would be high. Just had the costs to ship body parts at over $750 and that's just to the freight company Im using to get the parts over here.

Don't get me wrong, got a great price on the parts but I wasn't expecting the shipping costs within the US to be as high, so Id be frightened to ask how much to ship a engine to the UK!
Old 10-22-2015, 11:47 PM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It is possible that if the engine was uncovered and sat outside in the rain, the rain water can and will find it's way into the oil pan.

I hope that the $750 you paid for shipping on those body parts, was a whole lot of parts. Otherwise someone took advantage of you.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:15 AM   #9
MacQuigley

Ive not ordered anything yet but the more I think about it the more I thing I am getting ripped off somewhere.

Dont get me wrong the supplier has been really helpfull and have given a good discount on parts and the order is substantial and includes front fenders, and a complete rear bed including sides, front and tailgate. but even at that I just cant see £750 in it. Id probably gone ahead an paid it if their first quote to me haddnt had the shipping down at less than $300 and he only substantial thing I added was 2 front fenders. It looks like the order is now being split and the big items are now coming directly from their supplier and thats introduced a second charge.

Think I'll get some quotes from other suppliers before parting with my cash. Never does any harm to check.

Anyway Im way off topic now. Im guessing by the fact that the engine was only just sitting in the truck that there is a high probability it was sitting outside at some point. Judging by the fact that 2 pistons were rusted in (not seriously but enough to stop the engine turning easily at first) the waters been there for a while. I know that since it arrived in the UK its been in the engine bay and covered so I can only think that its happened somewhere in the past.

Anyway one way or another I'll end up with a running engine - eventually.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:10 AM   #10
MacQuigley

Just found this on UK site. Looks like the same or similar as the link 62step posted:-

http://www.roadcraftuk.co.uk/index.p...product_id=581
Old 10-30-2015, 12:11 AM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that does look to be a genuine GM 350 crate engine. That's a decent price as well.

I do know of a guy in the UK by the name of Adrian Carroll, that specializes in building American V8 engines. If you are interested in talking to him I will see if I can find his contact info. He is also a member of this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuigley View Post
Just found this on UK site. Looks like the same or similar as the link 62step posted:-

http://www.roadcraftuk.co.uk/index.p...product_id=581
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
b454rat

How bad is the rust inside? I had a rebuilt engine sit outside and got water in it. Had water in the cylinders and in the pad. Had ZERO miles on it. I drained it all out, put fresh oil in it, turned it over with no plugs and IIRC put some oil in the cylinders, then fired it up. Motor ran great, smoked the tires off the S-10 blazer it was in. Most rebuilders will put parts in a blast cabinet to clean them up, then turn mains or resize if needed. if the motor turned over, then might not be too bad.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #13
MacQuigley

Been talking to a few engine builders in the UK and nobody is prepared to take on a re-bore of this block (I do have someone else to try thanks to Captainfab). One was worried about cracking the block if they re-sleeved it, the other about rust issues.

Anyway chatting to my dad tonight he mentioned he has a load of parts left from his 454 rebuild(s) and was thinking we may be better going the big block route as many of the parts he has are good quality performance parts.

Now I have seen Gas Monkey put big blocks in their trucks but they generally replace the front end with a more modern clip. What worries me is the torsion bar front end. Is it up to the weight of a BB? Also if I don't upgrade the brakes right away are drums up to a BB?

What do you guy's think? Anyone got any pictures of their trucks with a Big Block in?
Old 11-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #14
bigmac73

might want to upgrade to a heavier duty set of front springs, Torsion bars?? what year of C-10
brakes either work or they do not, they do not know the difference between a SBC and BBC , I think the drums would be fine with the BBC, many cars and trucks had them, as long as they are in good shape.
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #15
MacQuigley

Its a 62 C10. Unfortunately I don't know if the brakes work or not as it was a non runner when I bought it. Well actually they don't work as one of the lines has fractured but I don't know what they were like before that.

I really can see this sprouting arms and legs! Why is a project never less work and expense than you planned!
Old 11-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #16
cg285

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuigley View Post
Been talking to a few engine builders in the UK and nobody is prepared to take on a re-bore of this block
is their boring equipment not big enough? i was handed a mg block to do and my equipment is not small enough
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #17
Paul Y

Not too hijack your thread but I will be swapping the 350 out of my 66 in the new year. If you are interested drop me a pm and I can give you details.

Rebuilt in the states and complete from carb to pan, drop in and run.

Going LS which is the only reason for the sale.

P.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote