The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
Spinnerdunn

1986 GMC Sierra 2wd 350 ab

Hey guys and gals new member here. I just picked up a minty 86 GMC with 78,000 original km (Canadian truck). I'm looking to ditch all my emmissions stuff and buy a new intake. Anyone done this ? Should I just tear it all out ? If there is anything else I need to know it would be much appreciated.also where shall I look for a lowering kit , looking for shackle extensions & drop spindles.

Thanks
Attached Images

Spinnerdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
jjmorrse

Re: 1986 GMC Sierra 2wd 350 ab

I am wondering, does your model have the air pump and exhaust lines, or just the egr and such?

86 C30 crewcab big dooley. 454- 400
jjmorrse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
Spinnerdunn

Not too sure about how this all works to be honest. It's currnetly running good but I'd like to change the intake to something less complicated.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
Spinnerdunn

Pic2
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
jjmorrse

Most of that stuff can come off. You could take off the air pump, plug the exhaust lines, and get a shorter belt. You could simplify the vacuum lines. Usually there is ported or unported, the 1st higher on the carb, the latter on the manifold, and sometimes on carb base, egr can come off. Some people just plug any extra holes in the stock intake, and block off the egr, and keep the stock intake, if they are not looking for increased flow or lighter weight.

You will probably have some things hooked to a charcoal canister to catch vapors. Some people get creative with vents and gas tank returns and vent lines, but sometimes for the sake of simplicity, unintended consequences can happen. The fuel return and tank vent systems actually work pretty well.The valve covers have a pcv valve and hose. Some people replace with a breather, but it is not bad to keep in my opinion. You do need some sort of crankcase vent though regardless.

This stuff, except for the air pump, really doesn't hurt anything in terms of performance in an otherwise near stock vehicle.

At minimum you will need:
Vacuum lines: a vacuum line to your distributor advance canister, from either ported or unported vacuum source (opinions vary); a vacuum line to run your hvac controls and flappers (this usually has a plastic softball sized ball attached somewhere along the line; the vacuum line to your brake booster. These can be simplified and some people make really clean arrangements with a little planning.

vapor lines: some of these are signalled such as the purge lines, so they work as a system and have a lot of valves, etc. some people remove most of the stuff attached to the charcoal canister, and the canister itself. The fuel tank does ned to be vented in some way, however. some people leave some of the line and call it good. some bugs find the end of the hose and call it home. In Texas we have mud dauber wasps, who love to make clogs. Marine supply places have neat vents that can help, but this does release fuel vapors into the atmosphere. Some people do some combo of plugging and using various parts of the charcoal canister system.

Since you are in a cold climate, the thermostatic air cleaner helps when a cold engine is not warmed up yet, and the ducting brings in good fresh air, but some people just buy a chrome air filter and get rid of all of it.

My truck probably hasn't had any of that stuff for 20 years, long before I bought it, but when it is there, it is usually a sign that there was not a lot of PBR fueled engineering going on in somebody's garage. When looking for one of these trucks, the unmodified ones usually have less surprises, in my limited experience.

86 C30 crewcab big dooley. 454- 400

Last edited by jjmorrse; 11-03-2015 at 03:52 PM.
jjmorrse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
Spinnerdunn

Thanks so much that helps me out a lot. I've been delayed by a leaking rad that I just ended up changing tonight. I went to fire it up and the starter packed it in ...... One of those days haha. I will take your advice you know a lot more than I abotu this. Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out... Much appreciated.