The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
Flysocal

Should I keep stock bench seat?

Got a 1954 cab with a 1949 bench seat. I'm assuming they didn't change the mounting points in 54? Question is, should I rebuild the stock seat and have it custom covered in leather or would I be better off with something new from wise guys? I'm not trying to keep truck original. Anybody in SoCal that rebuilds old seats?

Posted via Mobile Device
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Should I keep stock bench seat?

I'll say this. The most comfortable seat I had in my truck was the original seat that a friend redid for me in Texas in 1973. The worse is the Dodge ST Regis seat that is in it now as it's like sitting on a wood plank even though it fits great and looks good in the truck.

Other than that it comes down to the "look" you want for the whole truck. If you age going with a lot of billet pieces and what not the stock seat isn't going to match the rest of it. If you are staying close to original in appearance with the upgrades being toned down a bit the stock seat may fit in better while a modern seat might look out of place. When someone looks in the truck you want them to see the complete interior including seat, dash, steering wheel and other pieces an not have one piece dominate the view or not fit in with everything else. That also goes for the outside of the truck where a lot of guys miss the mark even further. You see one component with the rest of the background of that component rather than seeing a complete truck as a unit.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
Flysocal

Thanks for the input. Gonna have billet wheels aftermarket steering column etc. enough custom pieces that a custom seat would not look out of place. But I don't think the stock seat would look out of place either. Wise guys seat is gonna be 2500-3000 and I gotta modify an otherwise stock cab floor. On the other hand, I don't know anyone that rebuilds these seats, making them function and look new. Gonna have to paint/PC frame, rebuild tracks, springs are shot. Just not sure if it's worth the trouble when I can order a sweet new seat out of a catalog. Cost aside I would prefer a split bucket from wise guys. But if I find a vendor that redoes stock seat top to bottom for half the price, I got a decision to make.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
joedoh

I have had a lot of butts in my stock seat lately, and the consensus seems to be its too big to be comfortable against the steering wheel and the roof. I thought it actually had an old indian cover on it so I left it, turns out its a faded 1980s cover.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
fredos59

I like the old seat, springs can be had. I would buy leather and haul it to a local shop for recover. You should not have a problem finding a good shop in the greater LA area.
If you decide against using it I might take (buy) it off your hands and see about adapting it to my 59
Old 10-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
Coach529

I like the look of mine, and it works with my height (5'-9").

I would like to see if an upholstery shop could rebuild it completely out of foam. It is a little too bouncy and uncomfortable for me for long drives.

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #7
nvrdone

i'm 6'2 and with my stock seat, I sat too high & the seat was very hard, but I used it for about 40 years. then I tried mustang buckets. those were better except the head rests blocked the rear window. then I tried a 3rd row seat out of an Astro van. so far that's worked best. the back is thinner so I gained about 1.5" of additional leg room. Plus I mounted it about 1" lower. its been in 2 years & so far so good.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #8
yossarian19

I've got $700 or so in the stock seat. It was down to the springs when I got the truck - totally rotten & torn, even the jute and burlap were trashed.
I was in a big rush to get the truck driveable before the baby was born, knew I wouldn't have any time afterward. I was right.
If I was going to do a truck or recommend something to a guy with more time on his hands, I'd say, hell no: put late model buckets with built in shoulder belts in it. Cheaper & better.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:53 PM   #9
dsraven

I also like the idea of the late model seats with built in shoulder style seat belts. just be sure to reinforce the floor underneath or use some really large washers on the under side fasteners so if you crash and need the seat belts they will stay with the truck, not go through the window with you still attached to the seat.
I haven't looked into it yet, because my build is on hold for reno's, but do the seat belts from newer style trucks have auto tensioners that are computer controlled? will they still operate if not connected to a body control module?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:11 AM   #10
chevyguyase

I have a '54 3100 and have my stock seat and I like it. The P.O. did a really nice job on it. The thing I want to warn you about is to keep the factory cushion thickness. Mine is overstuffed and looks great, but I'm up against the steering wheel with the seat as far back as it will go and I'm only 5'9. It also affects the seat belts they have to be longer.
chevyguyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:11 AM   #11
yossarian19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I haven't looked into it yet, because my build is on hold for reno's, but do the seat belts from newer style trucks have auto tensioners that are computer controlled? will they still operate if not connected to a body control module?
I'll say this: Working on Volvos with seatbelt retractors (the kind that suck a full grown man back into his seat during an accident) I don't recall ever plugging in a network cable for the body control computer. Possible this is a fault of memory, but I think most / all such systems operate on an integrated inertia switch. Worth double checking. Any case - they still work as a seatbelt, even if it won't retract during an accident.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #12
Foot Stomper

Great thread guys! Lots to think about!

Here's my dilemma. I want my Task Force to appear close to stock but also want the shoulder belt AND comfortable seat for a long drive. Now I am NOT saying the original seat is uncomfortable, I am saying it's important to retain comfort.

The appearance (as Mr48Chev) put it is so very important! The seat needs to look right at home. I don't want to hear an observer say after looking inside "yuk! what was he thinking!"... this point is exactly what holds me back from a modern style seat.

I really like a center armrest (seen on both images below) and the modern day version seat provides this along with multiple seat adjustments. I'd like to think the little lady will be happier on longer cruises if she could adjust her seat... you know... happy wife - happy life!

Below are a couple options that I found on Google image search.

NOTE: I really DON'T like one of the seat covers... can you guess which one?
Attached Images

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #13
MARTINSR

I dig the original seat if for nothing else to make the truck feel like something different than your other cars you drive every day. Though my daily driver does have the original 1959 seat in it.

But really, if you aren't going to drive it but on special occasions, why not make it special!

Oh, and by the way, I need that seat as I don't have one for my truck. So I should be talking you out of it and sending it to me up in the SF bay area.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #14
yossarian19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Great thread guys! Lots to think about!

Here's my dilemma. I want my Task Force to appear close to stock but also want the shoulder belt AND comfortable seat for a long drive...
...appearance is important! The seat needs to look right at home...
I really like a center armrest and the modern seat provides this +multiple seat adjustments.
OK. What seats you want to use will depend in some part on your fabrication skills & which cab you have: big window vs small window.
With a small window cab, you can pretty easily mount a shoulder belt to the "B" pillar and keep it clean looking.
I've only ever seen ONE clean looking shoulder belt on a big-window cab, and the guy didn't remember how the "eff" he got it in there so I don't know how to pull it off, either. From looking at the rest of the car, though, he had some pretty good metal working skills - so I probably couldn't do it as clean as he did anyway.
So.
If you have a small window cab, just mount your belts to the cab. Modify the old bench seat to have a center arm rest, modify / chop down a newer seat (keeping the adjustments) to fit the old truck, upholster how you want.
If you have a big window cab, you are limited by your ability to keep the shoulder belt clean enough for you appearance wise & maybe re-covering or modifying a newer seat to make it look at home. You could chop down the back, etc, but this gets questionable when you have a seatbelt mounted to the seat frame.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #15
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
OK. What seats you want to use will depend in some part on your fabrication skills & which cab you have: big window vs small window.
With a small window cab, you can pretty easily mount a shoulder belt to the "B" pillar and keep it clean looking.
I've only ever seen ONE clean looking shoulder belt on a big-window cab, and the guy didn't remember how the "eff" he got it in there so I don't know how to pull it off, either. From looking at the rest of the car, though, he had some pretty good metal working skills - so I probably couldn't do it as clean as he did anyway.
So.
If you have a small window cab, just mount your belts to the cab. Modify the old bench seat to have a center arm rest, modify / chop down a newer seat (keeping the adjustments) to fit the old truck, upholster how you want.
If you have a big window cab, you are limited by your ability to keep the shoulder belt clean enough for you appearance wise & maybe re-covering or modifying a newer seat to make it look at home. You could chop down the back, etc, but this gets questionable when you have a seatbelt mounted to the seat frame.
All good points! I'm pretty sure I'll simply use the seat that came with the truck after all. The deluxe pattern replacement upholstery is hard to find online however. SMS fabrics has the original upholstery but nobody seems to have an online order for a "ready made to install" kit.
Attached Images

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #16
1project2many

Quote:
but I think most / all such systems operate on an integrated inertia switch.
They tighten when an ignitor in the seatbelt forces a piston and pulley to tighten up the belt. The ignitiors in GM vehicles are generally triggered by a restraint module, and the signal comes from accelerometers and / or inertial switches.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #17
yossarian19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
All good points! I'm pretty sure I'll simply use the seat that came with the truck after all. The deluxe pattern replacement upholstery is hard to find online however. SMS fabrics has the original upholstery but nobody seems to have an online order for a "ready made to install" kit.
FWIW, I looked around at fabric kits & they were all priced right around what my upholstery guy charged me to make a pattern, cut & sew it himself. With a tune-up on the springs, fabric, foam & putting it all together I was into it ~$700 for a cloth seat, California 2014 prices.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #18
solidaxel

Keep the one you have and have it re done!
I have three of them and they sit good on long trips and they fit the truck!!
Attached Images

53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #19
dsraven

just a quick word on seatbelts. if you use a newer style seat, with seat belts integrated, and there is a yellow wiring connector hanging out somewhere it is for the seatbelt retractor. it is part of the air bag system and is made to fire a small explosive charge in the retractor, to tighten up the belt, just before the system blows the airbags. if you want to learn more about it just google gm seat belt retractors and read on.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #20
bowt1ed

So, if a guy decided to keep the original seat and recover - what is the best way to add standard lap belts? Attached at the floor mount? Thanks, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #21
dsraven

also.some of the newer seats have airbags in the sides of the upright. not that you would have to use them, just saying they may be there.

Jim, I personally would attach the seat belts to the floor, just like a newer vehicle would have. also possibly a large heavy duty back up washer on the underside fastener. that's just me though.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #22
Virginian

Keep it, it's a piece of nostalgia that won't ever come back, plus IMO bench seats belong in pickup trucks.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #23
gabe2000

YES keep it.
been there, done that and that's way i say keep it.
Once, I opt to install 2001 bucket seat but they bulky and too big made for larger, modern truck. You have NO use on recliner position because tight space.

Cheaper route get any bench seat or get only the foam from modern bench seat and use it on the old seat.
gabe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #24
gabe2000

so, i went back to bench seats.
gabe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #25
Flysocal

Cool thanks. Can someone point me in the direction of a seat refurbisher/leather guy in SOCAL?