The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
terrylgreenjr

Air Bar info

I have a 91 Suburban and wanting to install air suspension in the rear. I was planning on a C notch and not cutting up the rear floor. I've found a parallel 4 link with the bag behind the axle and was wondering about how much travel they have. Anyone with any experience on this style set up or any other ideas you have I'm open to comments.
terrylgreenjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Air Bar info

Travel depends on the bag & shock combo as well as how things are set-up. What kit are you lookin at?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #3
SCOTI

Re-post for some reason.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-30-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
terrylgreenjr

I'm not sure if the photo uploaded because I'm on my phone. But basically the bottom bag mount is part of the 4 link bracket and its right behind the axle. Then you mount the top mount on the outside of the frame rail
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2015, 12:48 AM   #5
Pro Performance

I have setup a 4-link before, and did similar axle brackets off the rear end. My 4-link didn't have the rear bag mount integrated, but does make for a cleaner look. Here is one that RideTech offers and includes an upper crossmember that you cut to fit for the upper mounts. This one has the bags sitting inside the frame.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/universal-hd-4-link.html

Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
terrylgreenjr

The major thing I'm trying to find out is how much travel you get out of this style set up. Since you don't have it on a bar or a cantilever for added lift ratio
Old 11-01-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
Pro Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylgreenjr View Post
The major thing I'm trying to find out is how much travel you get out of this style set up. Since you don't have it on a bar or a cantilever for added lift ratio
This particular setup has 6.5" of lift due to the bag. If you use a different bag like the F9000, then you can get 7.5".
Posted via Mobile Device
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
slimneverdies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Performance View Post
This particular setup has 6.5" of lift due to the bag. If you use a different bag like the F9000, then you can get 7.5".
Posted via Mobile Device
I was curious as to what those airbags in this setup are capable of compared to other bags as far as travel goes. I will be pulling a 10,000lbs trailer so I figured those 3500 bags would be what I needed but I want to be able to bring my truck up high as possible.
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimneverdies View Post
I was curious as to what those airbags in this setup are capable of compared to other bags as far as travel goes. I will be pulling a 10,000lbs trailer so I figured those 3500 bags would be what I needed but I want to be able to bring my truck up high as possible.
The dimensions provided by Firestone for the '3500' bags suggest that there is 2.5" between installed height & max extension. The 'ride height' to max lift on the rear of my dually is only a couple inches so that would seem to support the math.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
terrylgreenjr

So if I want more then 6-7 inches of travel I need to go a different route I guess. I'm hoping to run everything on the rear air suspension on the outside of the frame due to the rear fuel tank and exhaust. Maybe a long 2 link outside the frame with panhard bar is the answer
Old 11-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
So if I want more then 6-7 inches of travel I need to go a different route I guess. I'm hoping to run everything on the rear air suspension on the outside of the frame due to the rear fuel tank and exhaust. Maybe a long 2 link outside the frame with panhard bar is the answer
When you say "6-7 inches of travel"..... do you mean you want to be able to lift it 6" above ride height as well as dropping below ride height when desired?
If so, you might look into KP Components rear Cantilever 4-link set-up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #12
slimneverdies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The dimensions provided by Firestone for the '3500' bags suggest that there is 2.5" between installed height & max extension. The 'ride height' to max lift on the rear of my dually is only a couple inches so that would seem to support the math.
Thanks for helping with the explanation on this yet I'm still a little confused. So on your truck what's the total number of inches in height you have from completely bagged to full extension? My c30 will be bagged on frame and the tires are 31" tall if that helps.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #13
terrylgreenjr

No I just want to be able to have the pumpkin hit the factory floor and then raise it up to about factory height. I also want to run the bags in the best range for the best ride. I feel like with only 6-7 inches of total bag movement, and with just a c notch. I would only be about 1-1.5 inches from bottoming out the axle when I ran the bag in its sweet spot. Am I wrong about this? thanks for all the info that's coming out on this thread

Last edited by terrylgreenjr; 11-02-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks for helping with the explanation on this yet I'm still a little confused. So on your truck what's the total number of inches in height you have from completely bagged to full extension? My c30 will be bagged on frame and the tires are 31" tall if that helps.
Approx 6.5".

Min height fully compressed is 6.5". Max extended height is 13" so there's 6.5" of travel between the 2 limits.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #15
slimneverdies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Approx 6.5".

Min height fully compressed is 6.5". Max extended height is 13" so there's 6.5" of travel between the 2 limits.
Would a triple bellow bag give a similar ride and weight capacity? I'm running the bag on the front of the axle.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #16
SCOTI

Quote:
No I just want to be able to have the pumpkin hit the factory floor and then raise it up to about factory height. I also want to run the bags in the best range for the best ride. I feel like with only 6-7 inches of total bag movement, and with just a c notch. I would only be about 1-1.5 inches from bottoming out the axle when I ran the bag in its sweet spot. Am I wrong about this? thanks for all the info that's coming out on this thread
Firestone's tapered sleeve bag w/the greater 2,000lb capacity is the F9100's. Their dimensions indicate ~9.75" of total travel:

5.25" Min compressed height
10-10.5 recommended ride height
15" Max extension

This is where the comment I made comes from:
Quote:
Travel depends on the bag & shock combo as well as how things are set-up
For the 'best' ride you need to be close to the mfr's recommended ride height ('best' is subjective per the individual). Typically you might get your desired ride quality a little above or below that number.

Not all 'kits' are going to yield that dimension depending on where the upper/lower brackets are placed. You need to see what bag the manufacturer of the kit set it up for.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Would a triple bellow bag give a similar ride and weight capacity? I'm running the bag on the front of the axle.
I couldn't say. The only triple convo bags I've seen are from ChassisTech/AIM/AirBagIt or whatever & I avoid their product line. Not sure about others.

You still have to keep the shock dimensions in the number crunching as well. It's hard sometimes to find a shock that's in it's sweet spot @ ride height while allowing full extension/compression too.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG