The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
jocko

79 Camper Special question

Quick question - assuming the 1st pic is missing the bright/wide trim piece on which the teepee normally is mounted (as shown in 2nd pic) - wanted to make sure I'm not missing something here. Did Chevrolet ever mount a Camper Special teepee directly to the paint (even when there is no color transition to break up)?
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
bhc41051

Re: 79 Camper Special question

Looks like the truck is a Scottsdale from the door panel. I believe the only way you got the cab trim band is if you ordered two-tone paint or Silverado trim.
bhc41051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #3
jocko

Interesting, I did not realize that. Didn't recall seeing any without the trim, but when I looked in "the archives" buried on my computer, I was able to find a few. Looks like Silverado and Cheyenne had the trim piece, but Scottsdale did not. Btw, this is a Bonanza, which is the Scottsdale trim level (like a highlander is a Custom Deluxe in a 72). Thanks! I kind alike this truck, a C30, but kinda outta my price range.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
77K10Silverado

I am not sure on this subject but I feel like even with a solid paint scheme it should have the wide band trim.

Name:  367539864.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  63.9 KB

77 K10 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6752641
77K10Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
Firebirdjones

I can assure you no wideband trim on this one. Teepee is mounted directly to the cab. I know the trim you speak of though, I've only personally seen that when you got the 2 tone roof. I've owned it 20 years and bought it from the original owner, I have old glossy pics around here somewhere when the truck was new. It never had the 2 tone roof and was built just as you see it. It's all original paint except for the tops of the bed rails.

It would be hard to compare nowadays though, at 36 years old there just aren't many original paint camper specials running around anymore.

If you look close to the pic above provided by 77K10, that molding appears to have the teepee molded into it as if it is one piece, Mine on the other hand is just the teepee as a separate trim piece. So it appears to me it was made both ways depending on whether the factory just stuck the teepee on or whether they installed the entire trim piece. What triggered that is hard to say, but I also notice on mine that it has the drip rail coming down in that area where others I've seen don't always have that, maybe that has something to do with it.....

Never know Jocko, I've had offers that were close to tempting to let it go, I priced it a little high for wiggle room.

If you need more pics I have details of the engine build or anything else someone might be interested in, just pm your email and I can send more.

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-02-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote