The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
ryanmcb

SPID ERRORS, does it happen?

I am looking at a 76 GMC. I have not seen the truck in person but it is one family owner and looks very solid in the pics. The owner sent me a picture of the SPID and it lists the Silverado Package (YE9). I was just a little confused because its a GMC as verified by the VIN. Do they list that instead of High Sierra? Is it basically the same?

One other thing that is odd. It says Tachometer on the SPID but in the pics it looks like it just has the gas gauge. Nothing on this truck looks to ever being changed though. Everything looks completely original.

Do you ever see errors in the SPID? Should I be concerned that it shows a Chevy package and lack of tachometer.

thanks!
Attached Images

ryanmcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
mikentosh

Re: SPID ERRORS, does it happen?

My '74 GMC has it listed as "YE9 - SIERRA GRANDE EQUIP" on the SPID. I'm sure there was a bit of variation based on which factory and year it was produced.
mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
ryanmcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikentosh View Post
My '74 GMC has it listed as "YE9 - SIERRA GRANDE EQUIP" on the SPID. I'm sure there was a bit of variation based on which factory and year it was produced.
I read on a website that in 73-74 that Sierra Grande was the top model and then in 75 they switched it to High Sierra. Maybe the YE9 just designates the top model.

I'm sure some experts can clarify. I just think it is odd so see a Chevy package listed on there.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
mikentosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcb View Post
I read on a website that in 73-74 that Sierra Grande was the top model and then in 75 they switched it to High Sierra. Maybe the YE9 just designates the top model.

I'm sure some experts can clarify. I just think it is odd so see a Chevy package listed on there.
Yes, YE9 is always the top model but the name changed through the 70s. I seem to recall that depending on the year and factory they would use Z88 RPO to identify it as a GMC, so I could see the combination of Z88 + Chevy naming on the other options on SPID, but your's doesn't have that either.
mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
Keith Seymore

It's common.

YE9 is the highest trim level, regardless of Chevy or GMC badging. It varies by plant and model year but some GMCs do show the "YE9 - Silverado" naming convention.

Also - Z88 is, in fact, the GMC nameplate conversion. What is not as widely known is that there is a Chevy RPO too: RPO X88 = Chevy nameplate.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 11-03-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Keith Seymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
ryanmcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
It's common.

YE9 is the highest trim level, regardless of Chevy or GMC badging. It varies by plant and model year but some GMCs do show the "YE9 - Silverado" naming convention.

Also - Z88 is, in fact, the GMC nameplate conversion. What is not as wildly known is that there is a Chevy RPO too: RPO X88 = Chevy nameplate.

K
Keith,
what is your opinion on the tach option. I confirmed with the current owner it does not have a tach, yet listed on the SPID. He assured me that they have not touched anything on the truck, it has 59k original miles.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
mrolds88

Heres the SPID off my 72 Sierra.
Attached Images

87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:37 AM   #8
enaberif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcb View Post
Keith,
what is your opinion on the tach option. I confirmed with the current owner it does not have a tach, yet listed on the SPID. He assured me that they have not touched anything on the truck, it has 59k original miles.
Being that the tachs are known to fail due to a resistor on the back and the fuel gauges are easy to find... It may have been swapped out.

If it was you'd never know.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #9
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Being that the tachs are known to fail due to a resistor on the back and the fuel gauges are easy to find... It may have been swapped out.

If it was you'd never know.
My thought as well.

I'd look for remnants, like the tach wire underhood.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 11-03-2015, 07:30 AM   #10
Keith Seymore

Quote:
It's common.

Also - Z88 is, in fact, the GMC nameplate conversion. What is not as wildly known is that there is a Chevy RPO too: RPO X88 = Chevy nameplate.

K
One other thought relative to SPID labels: Just to re-iterate - SPIDs are not typed individually on a typewriter. There would be no way to keep up with production (typically one completed truck per minute, which allows about 45 seconds of productive time per unit). The data is loaded into a central database at the individual plant and then broadcast to all the remote areas that need the information. If there was human error involved it would have taken place before the beginning of the model year and every SPID label with that option from that plant would show the same error until corrected. 1964 Pontiacs had a "Heavey Duty Fan and Clutch" option (sic) that ran all year spelled just like that.

We have a saying here at work: “At Chevy – you don’t make a mistake; you make a million of ‘em”.

(lol)

But in this case I wouldn't consider using the Chevrolet naming convention a "mistake" - just a conscious business decision for expediency's sake.

K
1986 - 2019
Old 11-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
enaberif

Quote:
My thought as well.

I'd look for remnants, like the tach wire underhood.

K
Tach wire is definitely a good way to check!
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
Jeepwm69

Skepticism is a good thing when buying an "original" vehicle that is collectable.

That said, our local GMC dealership, owned by my grandfather for 40+ years, got an S10 Jimmy in with a Chevy Blazer tailgate. Colors were correct and everything, it just said Chevy on it instead of GMC, and that was only on the tailgate. Rest of the badges etc were GMC.

Dad's 1985 Jeep Scrambler came with an export-only oil pressure gauge measured in bar instead of PSI. Bought new in late 84.

Point being, people make mistakes, especially UAW workers on Friday afternoon. I'd look for a tach wire as mentioned to see if you can explain that one. The GMC vs Chevy doesn't surprise me and wouldn't worry me.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #13
ryanmcb

I appreciate all the feedback here. It just seemed odd to have not one, but two things that I could see were off...and I am only as far as looking at pictures.

I'll look for a tach wire. The current owner (original owners son) said it never had a tach. He said he ordered a 76 Chevy on the same day as his dad's GMC and neither had a tach, they were nearly identically optioned.

I'm hoping to go look at the truck soon, its quite a drive. I'll update after that.

thanks