The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
daysoofpurple

Trying to Find My Stolen 75 Gentleman Jim

Hoping to get the word out as much as possible. I am in desperate search of my 75 GMC Gentleman Jim......it was given to me by my grandpa when I graduated and it was "stolen" from me somewhere around 2007. My gpa passed away from lung cancer and on the 1 year anniversary of his passing, I finally found the title to the truck that I thought was long gone.

Please, please, please help me find my truck. It would be amazing if I could get it back. Last I heard it was in Claremore, OK but I haven't had any luck. I do have the actual title and will drive wherever I have to go to get it or confirm/deny if i'ts the one.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to them or if you might know where to look. The DMV stated that it had not been reported crushed, no tags have been bought for it since they expired, and it hasn't been sold according to my title/VIN.

This can be copied and pasted anywhere!

My email is daysofpurple@yahoo.com - any tip will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
daysoofpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Rangerman

Re: Trying to Find My Stolen 75 Gentleman Jim

That sucks.

Maybe post this on facebook on the square body pages, lots of guys on there that keep up with alot of these trucks.
Rangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
daysoofpurple

thanks!! great suggestion....already on it. Feel free to post anywhere.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
fun in dirt

Any pics of it?
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
TrailerTrash

yeah man pictures would help a ton
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #6
daysoofpurple

These are NOT pics of my truck. These were pulled from other posts but this is what it looks like. The last time I had it, it was not in top condition so I have no clue what it would look like today. If it hasn't been destroyed, I'd assume it looks somewhere in between these two. It had a personalized plate in the driver's side door.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #7
Zach079xxx

Bunch of low live people stealing people's things. Makes me mad. Good luck finding it. Fairly recent there was a thread about finding their truck because they sold it awhile back. It's just plain out ridiculous to steal somebody's truck
Thumpin' away
Zach079xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #8
05duramaxhd

If you have the vin have someone run it to see if it's regestered
05duramaxhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:51 PM   #9
daysoofpurple

Thanks....I did talk to DMV in OK, but as we all know, not all vehicles are registered and stolen vehicles don't always keep their correct info. I know this is a long shot, but I have to try
Old 11-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysoofpurple View Post
Hoping to get the word out as much as possible. I am in desperate search of my 75 GMC Gentleman Jim......it was given to me by my grandpa when I graduated and it was "stolen" from me somewhere around 2007. My gpa passed away from lung cancer and on the 1 year anniversary of his passing, I finally found the title to the truck that I thought was long gone.

Please, please, please help me find my truck. It would be amazing if I could get it back. Last I heard it was in Claremore, OK but I haven't had any luck. I do have the actual title and will drive wherever I have to go to get it or confirm/deny if i'ts the one.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to them or if you might know where to look. The DMV stated that it had not been reported crushed, no tags have been bought for it since they expired, and it hasn't been sold according to my title/VIN.

This can be copied and pasted anywhere!

My email is daysofpurple@yahoo.com - any tip will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Ok.... Can you define "stolen" as used above? Do you have a vehicle theft police report from 2007?

I ask because I can tell you the exact year/month/day one of my trucks was stolen & that was back in 1987. I know the year/month w/o hesitating.... the actual date of theft is on my vehicle theft report.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #11
daysoofpurple

I understand your questioning. I was trying to find it without dragging people in the mud but I will definitely clarify.

At the time, the motor had been stripped out of the truck and my exes dad towed it to a mechanic to have them look it over and try to find a decent priced motor to put back in it. During all of this, my ex literally tried to kill me. I did not know the mechanic that he took it to and when I tried to find out, he refused to give me the information. Clearly, my memory may not be as good as yours, but I had no reason at the time to think there was any harm that would come to the vehicle, so i do not recall the exact date. Unfortunately, I had misplaced the title and the police would not take a report without proof of ownership....ie TITLE!

Hence, the "stolen" description.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #12
daysoofpurple

Heres a pic of my gpa with the truck. He had the truck bed cover and even had his single horse trailer painted to match the truck. We actually just recently sold the trailer.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #13
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysoofpurple View Post
I understand your questioning. I was trying to find it without dragging people in the mud but I will definitely clarify.

At the time, the motor had been stripped out of the truck and my exes dad towed it to a mechanic to have them look it over and try to find a decent priced motor to put back in it. During all of this, my ex literally tried to kill me. I did not know the mechanic that he took it to and when I tried to find out, he refused to give me the information. Clearly, my memory may not be as good as yours, but I had no reason at the time to think there was any harm that would come to the vehicle, so i do not recall the exact date. Unfortunately, I had misplaced the title and the police would not take a report without proof of ownership....ie TITLE!

Hence, the "stolen" description.

Heres a pic of my gpa with the truck. He had the truck bed cover and even had his single horse trailer painted to match the truck. We actually just recently sold the trailer.
Given this info & now that you have secured the title, I would reach out to law enforcement & see if anything can be done on their end to assist your effort. Leave no stone unturned.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #14
Ski-me

What are the last 6 digits of your VIN? Post that up just in case, but that's a pretty rare option truck. But who knows, someone might run across it.

I did the same thing but mine was not stolen. Sold my blazer after first child was born. 10+ years later and a LOT of hunting in the Seattle area, I found it. Actually popped up on Craigslist with wrong rear windows but asked anyways. Guy shot back to me the VIN and boom, I got it back! Took a few years of looking and I knew the region at least.

I now let my daughters drive it as their first vehicle to school, etc.

Just start searching for Gentleman Jim trucks on craigslist and then shoot them an email for VIN (implying you want to do a Carfax check). Might get lucky!

Good luck!

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L

Last edited by Ski-me; 11-06-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #15
hatzie

Did the mechanic sell it? Or do you not know at all.
I'd reach out to Law Enforcement. A visit from a detective might jar the ex's daddies' memory.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 11-06-2015 at 08:49 PM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:04 PM   #16
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
did the mechanic sell it? Or do you not know at all.
I'd reach out to law enforcement. A visit from a detective might jar the ex's daddies' memory.
x2.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
daysoofpurple

The last 4 of the VIN are 6183. Not a clue who the Mechanic is/was. I was young and naive at the time. Definitely wish I had paid more attention.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #18
tucsonjwt

I am guessing that you can find your stolen truck by using a VIN search service, assuming that you have the VIN. It sounds like the problem is that this is not an "officially" stolen vehicle, so was never reported as such.

If you have the title in your possession now, I don't know how anyone could have sold it legally, unless they altered the VIN.

My guess is that a truck this old would have rusted away by now, unless someone was diligent about taking care of it.

Do a google search on looking for lost/stolen vehicles and you will find some interesting services.

http://www.stolencarreports.com/

Worst case, buy a 1975 and do a Gentleman Jim clone.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:55 PM   #19
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Knew a shop in Owasso that had either a GJ or a mid 70's square with black and gold paint that sat behind the building for at least a decade. I'll drive by there tomorrow and see if it still sits there.

Worst that will happen is you got your hopes up. Plus, most the scrap yards around these parts are only required to report a crushed vehicle if at least 1/2 the vehicle is still intact. So a truck stripped of bolt on sheet metal would not count and be recorded.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:05 AM   #20
daysoofpurple

Yeah, my fear is that it was scrapped. Honestly, to even know what happened to it would help. I've heard that a law passed in the last few years, that a crushed car has to be reported, but again.....we all know that doesn't always happen. I appreciate you driving by to see if it is still there and it would be close to 10 years that it's been missing. There was some rust and the motor had been taken but the rest of the truck was in tact, so I have to remain hopeful until I know for sure. I imagine this could be a long journey.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #21
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Drove by and looked this morning. The only thing left behind the old mechanic building is a mid 80's camaro and an early 2000ish f250.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #22
daysoofpurple

I sure appreciate it. Do you think I could ask them Monday if they had one and where it went?I would just need the shop name or number. If they sold it, maybe they have the VIN number on record.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #23
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

The shop name is Owasso Auto Clinic. Used to be a decent little shop with 4 guys working in it. These days it is a one man operation. He may own a computer, but I doubt it.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:41 AM   #24
Dc42d76

I take it the one in Jonesboro, Arkansas with no motor has been ruled out ?
Dc42d76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #25
Jeepwm69

Around here the mechanic would have filed a mechanic's lein after that amount of time, and could have gotten a title for it in his name, but since you say it hasn't been retitled in OK, have you been able to confirm that it hasn't been retitled elsewhere?
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote