The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #1
stevenk

First Post / Couple Questions

Hello!

Hope I'm posting this to the right spot.

Short story long:

I inherited a '68 c10 from my father who passed away last spring. We restored these trucks my whole life. This truck was completely restored however 2 weeks before he passed away he rear ended his other truck (new chevy) with this '68 in a round about.

So I finally got this out to Portland and I have a couple questions that I'm hoping to get some help with. I'll be lurking for quite a while to try to learn as much as I can. Motorcycles are my usual go to so I'm totally new to this.

Any help is appreciated!

1- I had a dim headlight and i successfully fixed that by properly grounding the wires. I'm not getting any tail lights or reverse lights however the license plate light does work. It's been raining here so I haven't had a chance to pull apart the taillights but do this sound like a fuse issue? Ground issue? Let me know. If it is a fuse issue, can someone direct me to a fuse chart? Google doesn't seem to get me anywhere.

2- When i start it, it fires up however when I drive it i get a really bad knocking nose. I can actually feel it in the floor boards / gas pedal. I've read online it could be a "spark knock" but that's about as far as i got.

3- the oil pressure goes all the way up when i start it. If i let it run it actually goes back down about halfway. However, if i hit the gas and rev the engine it goes all the way up. Any ideas?

Lastly here is a list of things I know about the truck:

- It's a 327 small block

- it is fuel injected. No carbs on it. I believe the fuel injector came off a mid 90s chevy.

- my dad installed a computer in it that is off a 96 impala. It's in the glove box. there is also a computer hook up plug under the dash and there is an Actron diagnostic computer read in the cab. Wondering if anyone has any idea of what kind of information off this.

Lastly!

If anyone knows a good Portland c10 mechanic let me know. I do plan on doing a lot of work myself however i'd love to have someone do a full rundown and let me know what the heck is going on with this thing.
stevenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:02 AM   #2
Mmorgan32

Re: First Post / Couple Questions

On the fuse box it would say tail lights or rear lights. It's a long one. I just had this problem and it was a fuse. Buy an assortment of glass fuses and just replace them all. Oil pressure run the recommended oil for your engine. It will go up when you first start it especially if it's cold outside. It will also go up on high rpms. It could also be a bad gauge. I'd change the oil as long as it idles in the middle you should be fine
Old 11-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
Aus69c20

If you can feel the knocking through the pedal It may be a broken engine mount. May also be a drive train issue, universal joints etc.
Fingers crossed its not coming from the engine.

Good luck

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
stevenk

Thanks for the tip on the fuse box Mmorgan32. really good advice on replacing them all. might as well. cheap enough.

@Aus69c20 is there anyway to know if it's safe to drive to the shop? I'd love to get someone's eyes on it for a full run down.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Redline novdog

If you are gonna keep this truck then post up pics of the spid(in the glove box) and any and all body/engine pics! If you want help I'm thinkin' this is the forum to go to! IMO your dad saved it for a reason!! If nothing else rebuild for haulin' your bikes!!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
stevenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
If you are gonna keep this truck then post up pics of the spid(in the glove box) and any and all body/engine pics! If you want help I'm thinkin' this is the forum to go to! IMO your dad saved it for a reason!! If nothing else rebuild for haulin' your bikes!!
Oh heck yeah. This is now my baby. I'll for sure post pics this weekend. I'm in Portland so by time i get home it's dark. I grew up working on these trucks but a lot of it was cosmetic. Body work and paint was my forte. I can find my way around an engine but still need a lot of help.

- Steven K.
Portland, OR

1968 C10 350 Longbed
Old 11-10-2015, 01:35 AM   #7
swamp rat

Per the tails remove the bulbs to see how mych corrosion is in the sockets, buff the contacts with some scotchbrite or soft wire brush, the ground i beliece is the screws that hold the light assy to the body, , that or look for a ground wire,. also check the pluf that resides in the frame to be sure its got good contact.

Per the engine oil pressure a normal engine will ware a bit thru the years and the clearance between the bearings and journals of the crank and cam will getting inlarged a bit allowing more oil to pass thru, its normal for the oil pressure to increase when revving the engine, but.....

Does it only knock when driving it?? You don't feel spark knock thru the floor so much as just hear it so i'd be real careful about running it, The knocking could be a rod knocking meaning a bearing has let go so without actually hearing it i can only advise it may need a rebuild asap if this is the case, I'd get a trained ear to have a listen to it.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:41 AM   #8
stevenk

yeah it's only when i drive it. if its idling you don't hear it. I think i'm going to take it in next week for a full run through.

Going to check all the lights this weekend. thanks for the tips!

Would you advise towing it to the garage? I'm guessing yes since we don't really know what the knocking is?

- Steven K.
Portland, OR

1968 C10 350 Longbed
Old 11-10-2015, 02:10 AM   #9
Aus69c20

I'd tow or trailer it Steven if your at all unsure about the knocking. You might save yourself potential further damage. At worst it's something simple and you towed it for nothing.

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:11 AM   #10
stevenk

Will do. Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'll report back!

- Steven K.
Portland, OR

1968 C10 350 Longbed
Old 11-10-2015, 04:19 AM   #11
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenk View Post
yeah it's only when i drive it. if its idling you don't hear it. I think i'm going to take it in next week for a full run through.

Going to check all the lights this weekend. thanks for the tips!

Would you advise towing it to the garage? I'm guessing yes since we don't really know what the knocking is?
Ok if its not knocking at idle then its probably a timing issue, but i agree if any doubt on it tow it. Good luck!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
stevenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
@Redline novdog

here's a couple pics of the glovebox / computer you asked for.

- Steven K.
Portland, OR

1968 C10 350 Longbed
Old 11-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Sorry for your loss. Two weeks before passing away huh? Call it a sign.

1- Sounds like you can use a new rear harness or your connections are bad. If not mistaken, the license and tail should be on the same circuit, so you can rule out anything else forward. I'm sure you checked the bulbs. My reverse lights don't work either (not bulbs), and I've yet to address it. Will come with the rebuild. Probably no more than a fuse.

2- My first thought is distributor. Check your timing and replace stuff as needed. Note: I'm no mechanic. Edit: Fuel injected and computer huh?...........I have no idea.

3- I believe my 402 starts around 75%, and 50% warm and idle. If I recall, the pressure increases with acceleration, but never 100%. Can't help you any further than that,
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #14
Redline novdog

You're dad had alot going on there. I see there is no spid in the glove box, but a whole lotta electronics. Like I said before keep searching the forum for info. I have not converted mine to fuel injection as of yet , but many here have.Enjoy, and don't let your dads old ride get you down. If you like it(make it your own&) keep it,otherwise sell it.