The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
Cam-Shaft

Engine Swap - Motor mount help

Hello all,

I'm 18 and attempting my first motor swap. The old motor (SBC 307) is out and the new(er) one (6.2 diesel) is in place and bolted to the tranny.

I could not get the engine to fit over the cross member while putting it in, so I unbolted it and slid it forward 3 inches or so. Now that the engine is bolted in place, It will not slide back all the way but instead hits the oil pan. What are my options here? It fits fine over the shallow part of the pan but hits the deep part, so it seems the only option is to notch the cross member and reinforce it on the front side.

That being said, I Did bolt the motor mounts off the SBC on the 6.2 and the engine does sit a little low. I have no problem creating spacers for it, but I am wondering how you are supposed to tell what the proper sitting height of the engine is. It is a 4x4, so the Tranny and T case stayed in the truck. Do I start jacking it up until I see some weight on the T case mounts and thus know the proper engine height?

Hope you can decipher all that and give me some pointers.

Cam-Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Engine Swap - Motor mount help

Your engine is just too low. Try the small block mounts and that will give you an idea of how much you need to come up with the motor. It should be a great ruck with the 6.2 in there.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Cam-Shaft

Thanks hugger, that's good to hear. So just jack up the engine/tranny till the cross member is in the proper position?

EDIT: I do have the original mounts/brackets off the 6.2. Would I be better off using those and fab the current mount towers on the cross member to bolt to them?

Last edited by Cam-Shaft; 11-09-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
MARKDTN

If the 6.2 came out of a squarebody, can't you use the crossmember for it? Is there a 6.2 4x4 oil pan that is different than a 2wd?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
Cam-Shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
If the 6.2 came out of a squarebody, can't you use the crossmember for it? Is there a 6.2 4x4 oil pan that is different than a 2wd?
It came out of a standard tranny 4x4 square body which I don't have access to (The PO wanted the cross member). Looks like I need to find one or do some serious mods to mine.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
hugger6933

Have you tried to bolt up the engine side small block mounts to the 6.2? I think that may show you how low you really are. Have you checked to see if there was a 4wd pan for the truck it came from or if the crossmember was different for the gas and diesel. That is the research you need to do next. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
Cam-Shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Have you tried to bolt up the engine side small block mounts to the 6.2? I think that may show you how low you really are. Have you checked to see if there was a 4wd pan for the truck it came from or if the crossmember was different for the gas and diesel. That is the research you need to do next. Jim
Thanks for the advice Jim, you pointed me in the right direction. I'll post my findings here for others
Posted via Mobile Device