The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool Need advice, 90 suburban

90 suburban with 5.7 tbi/700r4 transmission was in the shop for a transmission mount, now the truck acts as if it doesn’t want to pick up speed. Of course I took it back to the shop that did the work and now they’re trying to charge me to diagnose a problem it didn’t have until they starting “fixing it”.

The shop told me that it was probably the timing or something, but if I’m right timing will have some sort of indication (it starts right up every time, just idles slightly rougher at lights/stop signs) does it sound like a timing issue?
No timing tab on engine!

It also now takes a minute to engage into gear in order to move. Shifted perfect before. They claimed they used two gallons of the transmission fluid I brought in.

They actually changed the oil filter but did not change the oil.

Someone suggested it may be a bad fuel filter, but I didn’t have this problem before the shop.
Scary thing is the other day I took off out of an intersection and it actually died in the road, started right back up but scary as hell to say the least.
While driving it feels like it is a manual that needs to be shifted, if that makes sense.

I just need everything back to normal and running well, before Jan 2016 because it is my main transportation right now. Many thanks for your advice/experience. It is greatly appreciated.

Things I did recently:

Flywheel_9/2015
Starter
Drivebelt
PCV Valve
Air Filter
Fuel Filter_2/2015
Rotor
Distributor Cap
Spark Plug Wires
Spark Plugs
ICV Valve
TV Cable

A few other small things here and there, don’t have my list so I’m playing off of memory.
I hope I don't get anymore surprises from their "work"
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Re: Need advice, 90 suburban

There's nothing about changing a transmission mount that affects driveability. Nor does it change the timing. If you had a truck that ran fine w/no issues before bringing it to them to get that isolator replaced, then you need to take it up the chain. You might have an issue that didn't show up until you dropped it off at the shop. But chances of that are pretty slim because it would have had to happen when they moved it from parked to the lift or back to parked. Could've happened though. How long have you used this shop?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
Front Range

90 suburban with 5.7 tbi/700r4 transmission was in the shop for a transmission mount, now the truck acts as if it doesn’t want to pick up speed. Of course I took it back to the shop that did the work and now they’re trying to charge me to diagnose a problem it didn’t have until they starting “fixing it”.

The shop told me that it was probably the timing or something, but if I’m right timing will have some sort of indication (it starts right up every time, just idles slightly rougher at lights/stop signs) does it sound like a timing issue?
No timing tab on engine!

It also now takes a minute to engage into gear in order to move. Shifted perfect before. They claimed they used two gallons of the transmission fluid I brought in.

They actually changed the oil filter but did not change the oil.

Someone suggested it may be a bad fuel filter, but I didn’t have this problem before the shop.
Scary thing is the other day I took off out of an intersection and it actually died in the road, started right back up but scary as hell to say the least.
While driving it feels like it is a manual that needs to be shifted, if that makes sense.

I just need everything back to normal and running well, before Jan 2016 because it is my main transportation right now. Many thanks for your advice/experience. It is greatly appreciated.

Things I did recently:

Flywheel_9/2015 You mean flexplate
Starter
Drivebelt
PCV Valve
Air Filter
Fuel Filter_2/2015
Rotor
Distributor Cap
Spark Plug Wires
Spark Plugs
ICV Valve
TV Cable

A few other small things here and there, don’t have my list so I’m playing off of memory.
I hope I don't get anymore surprises from their "work"

So who's work is it exactly?

Did you pull the transmission to replace the flexplate? If someone else did the work how'd it run afterword? If they changed the trans filter are you saying they re-used the old trans oil? Have you checked the transmission fluid level?

Did you set the timing after replacing cap/rotor/plugs. The timing tab should be on the top drivers side of the timing chain cover. If you did loosen the distributor hold down to set timing did you tighten it back up? Is the firing order correct?

If you replaced you own fuel filter did you put it on with the little arrow facing forward or did you put it on backwards?

PCV - did you hook the vac line back up?

Lot of things it could be. It would help to have an idea of when specific work was done and exactly when the runability problem started in comparison.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #4
cfan10

Ok, everything ran fine prior to them getting my truck. The flexplate was installed by me and I made sure it was facing the right way. The fuel filter was installed properly and ran fine since Feb 2015. I do not have a timing tab mine is broken off, I’ll have to get a universal one. I did the rotor/cap/wires everything worked good, I didn’t turn the distributor.They didn’t change the transmission filter they changed the motor oil filter which had nothing to do with what I needed. They installed the transmission mount.

I sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body, but it would kill immediately. I actually thought if was a failing fuel pump.
Then my landlord pointed out that my lease has a “no working on cars” paragraph and that I had a two hours to finish the work or she would tow my vehicle . I had an auto accident and could not finish the work due to pain. So, I had it towed to a shop “never dealt with the shop before, never will again” they installed the tv cable bolt at the bottom of the transmission and tightened up the transmission cooler lines added the two gallons of transmission fluid I gave them. I told the shop what I thought about the fuel pump, they claim they did a diagnostic test and it was not the fuel pump.

Other parts I installed: (I did all repairs myself)

Power steering gearbox
Coupler
Power steering pulley
Power steering pump
Waterpump
Rear end gasket and fluid change
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote