The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #1
Shugalou

NAPA pricing varied by store

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is already common knowledge and if it applies to the States but I called two different NAPA stores by me for rear drums and the price was 50% cheaper at one store.

When I asked why the higher price at the store I used to visit (never again) I was told we are a corporate store and these are our prices the other store is independent and they can set there own prices. I said the difference is huge and he said "yeah they do that" and he said he couldn't even come close to that price.

Rear drums 110 corporate store 55 bucks independent (same brand - only one option). I even asked if it was for a pair and he said nope...I was shocked and a little pissed since I have bought a bunch of parts already for my brake overhaul.

Thought I would share and help you guys save a couple of bucks if you can.

Newspaper Article Publishing the quest find my dad's old truck
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12494281/
Shugalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:28 AM   #2
MountainGoat1966

Re: NAPA pricing varied by store

Actually, they CAN match the lower price, but due to greedy human nature, they won't. The cost from the distribution center is the same to both stores.

"Off the grid and on the seven day weekend plan"

"One person cannot know everything, but between all of us, there isn't much we don't know."
MountainGoat1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:07 AM   #3
Dieselburb86

Mountain goat is right! I used to work for a corporate Napa store! What year is the truck and is it a 1/2 ton or is it heavier! There are two different options on drums if its a 1 ton 4 wheel drive. depending on single rear wheel or dual. I just looked online for a 1 ton and its 107 a drum for the dual rear wheels and 73 per drum on the single rear wheels!
Dieselburb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
Shugalou

It's a 78 light duty half ton single wheel 2WD. I told both reps the same info (but you never know right). Yeah I would have thought if they wanted to save the sale they would have matched it. It takes 1 minute to verify the difference. But when the guy tells me "Yeah they do that" that was the read between the lines "We are more expensive"

Maybe they work different at this store? I don't know but I'm glad I found a cheaper alternative.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Hmmm, I pay $35 each. List price is $72. Part number 4401199

That would be $46 Canadian
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
Bigstevex4

The list price is also what you pay for parts at an independent shop he gets a cheaper. price so he can make a few bucks. And not have a customer go off the deep end.
In memorium
63 impala SS/ 65 Chevy Panel
65 GMC Short Box/ 68 Camero
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

"Yeah, they do that?". Do what? Offer fair prices to their customers rather than get as much as they can? I think I would have told that guy, "It sounds like it's YOU who is doing and you are done doing me".

My NAPA store is part of a 5 or so store network, but they say they are owned by NAPA. I know they didn't used to be because I was friends with the family. Back then it was called Antietam Automotive with a NAPA sign. Now it is just the NAPA Mt. Airy location. They say just put NAPA on the check. So, are they corporate or independent? All I know is they give me tech account pricing and take my checks when they have a big sign on the door saying they don't accept checks. The manager can run their store however they see fit and it's all about the numbers for them. One not so smart manager may believe in getting all you can from each sale while another has the sense to know that by lowering prices they will gain larger sales figures. Some people look forward and see a windshield while others look forward and see everything to the horizon.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-18-2015 at 08:42 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
Shugalou

Nice I like the windshield metaphor and glad to hear that you have a NAPA by you that is customer focused.

I picked up the drums yesterday and while picking them up I told the guys you guys are like half of the price compared to closer store by me. Same response "yeah they're corporate" I was thinking to myself WTF is going on friggen scam artists - but I am glad I have found my new store, it's a bit more of trek but well worth the extra time.

So now every time I need to buy a part I'll check the corporate store to see if these markups are across the board.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I always go to the one in my town, so they all know me. The manager and the two main counter guys have been there at least ten years. Steady Eddie, I'm spoiled. The manager is young and was new then. The two counter guys have been there longer than computers.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
boatpuller

I used to go to our local Napa a lot when it was a smaller store with long time employees........Then they built a big new one clear on the other side of town and it is just isn't the same and most of the old employees left.
I miss the old Mom and Pop parts stores.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:14 AM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
My local NAPA store is an independent store and they won't honor any of the corporate fliers I get in the mail. I usually check online before I go in and my cost is usually within a couple of bucks of the online price. It's 17-24 miles to the competitor stores for me so I buy a lot of stuff local. (or from Rockauto.com) The nice thing about my local store is that the main counter guy has been there a long time and was a mechanic before he got that job so he knows his stuff....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote