The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
Grin

CL ad for a '66?

I'm interested in hearing what you seasoned C10 lovers have to say about this truck. Interestingly enuf, there's another 66 for $27500 in MA that won The World of Wheels in 2012. Run away, go for it- what's good and bad about these funky looking trucks, with the markers in the hood? It's in my price range, and I know it'll need some work- would love to hear your thoughts.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5320576774.html
Grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
gottattooz

Re: CL ad for a '66?

It looks good in the pictures. Go check it out I person. Make sure it's solid and not pasted together with body filler. If you like the body style, looks like a good price too.

-Josh
2017 Suzuki M109R
gottattooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
cooperhw

Doesn't look too bad in the pics and the price isn't too steep "if you can live with it like it is".
On a project like this you have to see it in person yourself and ask what will I have/need to change before I will be happy with the truck. Add that cost to what you would need to pay for it and see if it's still "within your price range". If so go for it. If not, go home, and look for a truck that you like better. Pretty simple formula.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
MARKDTN

Looks like a decent truck for the money, but that body style does nothing for me. To each his own.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Doesn't look too bad in the pics and the price isn't too steep "if you can live with it like it is".
On a project like this you have to see it in person yourself and ask what will I have/need to change before I will be happy with the truck. Add that cost to what you would need to pay for it and see if it's still "within your price range". If so go for it. If not, go home, and look for a truck that you like better. Pretty simple formula.
There are a lot I like better, but they're already done, winning trophies, and waaay out of my price range. Good advice. I'm looking for things to watch for with the '66's, stuff people know to be aware of, etc..
Old 11-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I think you meant to post this in the 60-66 message board.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Sounds like it needs a new engine or at least tuneup for sure & brake/fuel system gone through since it's been sitting 20 years. Looks like there could be a few rust issues with it but hard to tell from those pics. Price is on the high end for a LWB project truck. At that price I'd expect a road worthy driver to be honest.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I think you meant to post this in the 60-66 message board.
Awwwww NUTS! I should've.. still can I suppose. Thanks
Old 11-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
hugger6933

Before3 you even waste the energy to go look think is this a truck I would want? Or are you getting tired of looking and about ready to settle. Think of it this way as if you would entering a relationship with a person your gonna spend your future. you wouldn't settle there I would hope wait it out a little longer if your not making progress towards finding what you want,why not call up someone and have them build you a truck.[hint hint hint]A lot of people have project trucks and love them and plan on keeping them forever, however there are people like me who had rather build them than drive them and care for them. Of the 6 "project " trucks I have one of them might be what your looking for.
Now let me ask this, do you know what your looking for? Have you got a good idea of what your wanting is it a hot rodded motor similar to your elco, or a stocker or more close to it so just some things to think on. jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
Brad54

A couple things jumped out at me:
The cab has been repainted INSIDE and out.
So pull up the rubber mat and look at the floors--which means looking at the rockers and the cab corners too. Look for signs of bondo or poor repairs.

Floors are easy, the rest is a little more involved and will add to the price.

It's still got the 6, so it wasn't hot-rodded or cobbled together mechanically... probably. Engine swaps frequently indicate other things you'll have to fix or address.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #11
Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Before3 you even waste the energy to go look think is this a truck I would want? Or are you getting tired of looking and about ready to settle. Think of it this way as if you would entering a relationship with a person your gonna spend your future. you wouldn't settle there I would hope wait it out a little longer if your not making progress towards finding what you want,why not call up someone and have them build you a truck.[hint hint hint]A lot of people have project trucks and love them and plan on keeping them forever, however there are people like me who had rather build them than drive them and care for them. Of the 6 "project " trucks I have one of them might be what your looking for.
Now let me ask this, do you know what your looking for? Have you got a good idea of what your wanting is it a hot rodded motor similar to your elco, or a stocker or more close to it so just some things to think on. jim
Jim, if you're not a psychologist, consider a career in it- you'd be good! You hit that on the head, I think. I so badly need a truck, and refuse to drive something "not cool", that I'm considering every one I see, but know that 6 mos into it, the work I want done will take time from the things I need to be working on, like my house, and family stuff. Ideally, a 70 stepside daily driver, with a 350 Auto, strikes my fancy more than any other. The pics on this site helped solidify what I like best. I hadn't considered that there might be builders out there, and now that you mention it, wonder if I can find one that I could afford.... What I can afford of course, depends on what condition it's in, etc. Prior to deciding that I'm really a retro kind of guy that wants a "one red wire" kind of vehicle, over a new truck with ABS and the ton of other sh*t that goes wrong with them, I was considering a Toyota Tacoma- but that's just not me.

That said, perhaps a board on the site exists where guys like you can post these builds in various states of completion, and guys like me can decide at which point we can "take over"?

Excelllent post- so glad you did!
Bill
Old 11-20-2015, 10:08 AM   #12
Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
A couple things jumped out at me:
The cab has been repainted INSIDE and out.
So pull up the rubber mat and look at the floors--which means looking at the rockers and the cab corners too. Look for signs of bondo or poor repairs.

Floors are easy, the rest is a little more involved and will add to the price.

It's still got the 6, so it wasn't hot-rodded or cobbled together mechanically... probably. Engine swaps frequently indicate other things you'll have to fix or address.

-Brad
Thanks- I couldn't tell the cab was repainted from the pic- that's experience I don't have with these trucks. Agreed on not having been molested- unless its a pro, its all suspect.