The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
blizno23

Does anyone remember that Chevy commercial?

Maybe about 2 years old?
Guy wrecks his 71(?) chevy truck and the tow truck driver wants to haul it off or total it?
Then the Guy finds a pic in the glove compartment of him and his dad in the same truck and decides to keep it?

Maybe I'm a little off on the description but that's kinda the gist of it.
I saw it once or twice then never again.
blizno23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
dfwright

Re: Does anyone remember that Chevy commercial?

Just Fix it

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
blizno23

Wow! You sir are a genius! Thanks for the link.
blizno23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
kilrcady

nice
kilrcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
dfwright

You're quite welcome! That's still one of my favorite commercials ever.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
trac209

Good commercial displaying our fav truck but you'd figure if the guys dad had it forever and passed it along to the son he'd know how to fix it himself by now
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trac209 View Post
Good commercial displaying our fav truck but you'd figure if the guys dad had it forever and passed it along to the son he'd know how to fix it himself by now
You'd be surprised how many people have things passed down like that and have no idea how to work on it.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
hugger6933

I did remember that one it was one of my all time favs. how bad could it have been it still had the glass and the battery was up and the grille stuff looked ok. But then again I build wrecks for a living what some people call hard hit I call it a walmart door ding. And really would you want the guy that thought it was good news working to fix dads truck? Thanks for the posting I do love that ad. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #9
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
You'd be surprised how many people have things passed down like that and have no idea how to work on it.
Or don't see how it was loved, taken care of, and just as fast as a loved one dies, is sold off or junked..

Worse case scenario of course.
1969 SS El Camino
1968 SS RS 396 Camaro
1967 Barracuda Formula S
1965 140/4sp Corvair Monza Convertible

Sorry, but I don't do Fords.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
doo142

I just need a moment .... I feeling varclemp !!!
doo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
... And really would you want the guy that thought it was good news working to fix dads truck? ...
Really. I know one thing, I wouldn't be handing him a check before he even touched it. I guess we're not supposed to think this much about it, just run out and buy a new truck while we are still filled with emotion

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:01 AM   #12
hamjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Or don't see how it was loved, taken care of, and just as fast as a loved one dies, is sold off or junked..

Worse case scenario of course.
But were they really loved? Some of you on here have brand new chevy (or other make pickups), Do you love it and cherish it thinking you'll pass it down to one of your children? or is it just transportation that you hang on to for some reason for the next 20 years or so. then one of the kids see it out in the field sunk in the dirt up to its rockers thinking, boy dad really loved that old truck. I have to bring it back to life for dear old dad.. (pausing for more deep thoughts....) Maybe dad never liked the truck. always breaking down, not worth trading in, teaching that old truck a lesson by letting it rot out in the pasture amongst the livestock. Bummer, now I'm depressed, hope I didn't ruin everyones day...
Old 11-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #13
dfwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
But were they really loved? Some of you on here have brand new chevy (or other make pickups), Do you love it and cherish it thinking you'll pass it down to one of your children? or is it just transportation that you hang on to for some reason for the next 20 years or so. then one of the kids see it out in the field sunk in the dirt up to its rockers thinking, boy dad really loved that old truck. I have to bring it back to life for dear old dad.. (pausing for more deep thoughts....) Maybe dad never liked the truck. always breaking down, not worth trading in, teaching that old truck a lesson by letting it rot out in the pasture amongst the livestock. Bummer, now I'm depressed, hope I didn't ruin everyones day...
Some are, some aren't, perhaps. I have a 95 Suburban that all my kids know is "my baby" -- they won't have any doubt that I cared about that truck. Also, sometimes it's more about your own memories than how much your father or grandfather loved the truck itself. The memories of going fishing with him in that truck, or him teaching you to drive in it are what makes it special to you.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #14
EARNHARDT#3

I love my 2002 Tahoe a lot. Now do I dream of passing it on to my boys? No. But after Tuesday's meeting with a HUGE 10 point buck I can't wait until it's back to its previous glory in about 2 weeks.
Attached Images

EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Depends.

My 2015? Nope. Too many electronic gizmos, etc to break. I *hope* to keep it 10-12 years then move on to the next one (kept my last Silverado DD for 11 years). I do love the truck. Best looking one GM has put out since 2002, but I can't see keeping it. I did have a really hard time letting my 2000 Z71 go though...

Now my 67 C10?

My 65 Mustang?

My dads 67 Firebird?

You bet they're loved and cherished.

...and no matter how much I loved a vehicle... I would NEVER give ANYONE a blank check!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #16
hugger6933

I had a customer[ may he rest in peace] that left me 2 or 3 blank checks. He said it was to buy him a truck if I found it he said you know what I like, then the other two are for part and one for your self just in case you need some help. He was a pretty good customer,he keep a truck to finish a crop one time after trading in some truck he said can I keep one for another week to ten days to finish picking cotton. I said yes and then they pulled the truck to me with a blown motor. I told him his guys had blown it up he said how much is a crate motor? Then he paid me for a new motor and added like 500 for "labor". I had planned on junking it anyway but the motor would have been nice to sell though. So I must be a little better than the guy in the shop in this ad. Still love it though. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #17
Eddie H.

My old 69 is a part of the family. I remember when I was in high school, I took my dad to the Chevy dealer the day he bought it. He used it on the farm for 20 years, and when he passed away, I inherited it. I fixed it up and drove it for several more years as a daily driver, then I let my son drive it through high school. He went on to finish college and then to the military, but when I'm gone, I already promised him that he will get it back.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #18
6768chevylover

We'll now a days thats what you see or hear. Some people just dont have the mechanical skills or the time so they have someone else fix it. I own a 67 chevy still in the works, a 71 blazer in its begining of being worked on and an 05 tacoma. I'm selling the tacoma cause of my kids. They are more attached to the chevys than that tacoma and they are only 5 and 3 yrs old. I too am very attached to these things since I put so much time and work into them.
6768chevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #19
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Depends.

My 2015? Nope. Too many electronic gizmos, etc to break
The nice thing about "electronic gizmos" is that they don't break. Mechanical complications break. The little sink-chain on your cruise control will break, but the code in your ECM that does the same job today won't.

But I digress - keep the 2015. I think it's destined to be a classic, as they too-quickly redesigned it to look like their "Truck of the Year" Colorado. So it's a 2-year only design that really looks like an HD unit.

A 2012 or 2016? Now -those- have too many electronic gizmos to break...

As for the ad, there are one or two places I'd leave a blank check, but this guy clearly doesn't know the mechanic, nor does he know enough about repairs to have any idea what's wrong. I guess I'll just have to chalk that all up to it not being a documentary :-)
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #20
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by trac209 View Post
I have 2 sons and neither one of them has any interest in mechanical work. It kills me all the things we could have done together, but what can you do?
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:46 PM   #21
Eddie H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
I have 2 sons and neither one of them has any interest in mechanical work. It kills me all the things we could have done together, but what can you do?
I have 2 sons as well. Since I spent 40 plus years busting my butt working on flat rate straight commission, making a living as a mechanic, I told them that I would teach them enough to work on their own cars as a hobby, but if they decided to make a career of it, I would break both of their arms. I guess they took my advice, because they both finished college with engineering degrees, and are doing well. They still like playing around with old cars and trucks, and we can still work on them together.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #22
JCD

Quote:
I think that kind of love for a vehicle is shown through the lifetime of the car/truck and the owner.
My original point was that this is always a personal thing, and that emotion doesn't necessarily get passed down to a relative.

I can never forget the license plate of my first car, or how it smelled the first time I sat in that bucket seat.

And I'll also never forget the car meant nothing to it's next owner who drove it into the ground, and sold it for junk.

Who knows why we feel for one car and not another.
Memories for a person or place often rub off on the car that took us there.

J.
Attached Images

1969 SS El Camino
1968 SS RS 396 Camaro
1967 Barracuda Formula S
1965 140/4sp Corvair Monza Convertible

Sorry, but I don't do Fords.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

I think the longer you own something, the closer you get with it. A brand new truck today can still become a cherished and beloved part of the family if it's owned long enough

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #24
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie H. View Post
I have 2 sons as well. Since I spent 40 plus years busting my butt working on flat rate straight commission, making a living as a mechanic, I told them that I would teach them enough to work on their own cars as a hobby, but if they decided to make a career of it, I would break both of their arms. I guess they took my advice, because they both finished college with engineering degrees, and are doing well. They still like playing around with old cars and trucks, and we can still work on them together.
That is what I wanted, not a career for them, but some bonding. I am an Engineer. I started working on cars when I was 13-14. I worked weekends/Summers for a neighbor that had skills, but no time. He would start me on a task and be available if I needed it but basically left me on my own. Kind of an apprentice if you will. When I graduated college in '92 with a Masters in Mechanical Engineering the economy was bad. I had a hard time finding a job. My wife is a Speech Therapist and she got a job. I was looking but started fixing cars while I waited. So for 8 months I fixed cars more or less full time until I landed a full time job in Engineering. After that, I still did it on the side until 2005 when we moved here. When we had our children my wife stayed home 8 years until they went to Kindergarten. The side money from cars allowed that to happen. Neither of my boys have interest in cars. They are good boys. Both have 4.0 and are in the top 10 people in their class. So I can't argue with their choices-but I still wish we could share some mechanical time together.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #25
Eddie H.

Here is a picture of 3 generations of "old truck guys" working on my son's 71 GMC restoration project. I'm glad I am able to share the hobby with my son and grandson.
Attached Images