The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2015, 01:38 AM   #1
DipStick82

New tools/ratchet for 71 c10

Hello,

I'm putting together some tools for my new 71 custom 10 pick up. I'm planning to invest in a new ratchet and trying to decide which to get first 3/8 or 1/2" I've typically used 3/8 on my cars, but this is my first Chevy and my first truck! What do you all recommend I start with?

Thanks!
Dipstick82
DipStick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:09 AM   #2
swamp rat

Re: New tools/ratchet for 71 c10

I started with both thanks to my dad, but i'd say 3/8 drive first as its more versatile.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
Dagr8npwrfloz

If I HAD to choose either/or...3/8" for sure. As the previous fella said its much more versatile. The thinner head gets you into more tight spots. Sockets run up to 7/8" and all the way down to 1/4" on typical sets. And I'd say 90% of the nuts and bolts on your truck are in that range... A small piece of pipe in the box will aid leverage if you need it, just don't cheap out on the ratchet and get 6 point sockets.
Dagr8npwrfloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:06 AM   #4
MARKDTN

I would try to start with a set with both. You can find a Craftsman set in a box sometimes with 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. Save your pennies and that is what I would do. You can get this one for $100 right now for example.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-2...ID=00950230000
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
Dagr8npwrfloz

Old 11-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #6
cdowns

i'd recommend a good 3/8drive first then a quality 1/4 drive and third and last a 1/2 drive ratchet
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #7
1968aj

you are going to need 1/2 to break loose or off those rusty bolts
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #8
drfloyd

Agreed. Go buy yourself a set with all three ratchet sizes. Each has it's own niche for sure. When I read this it just occurred to me how much I take for granted my shop and vast array of tools and still find on a daily basis things that I don't have. For that I do have my dad to thank. I still have all of his tools plus all that I have accumulated. Buy good stuff and it will last forever.
drfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
Grumpy old man

Look for starter sets like these that range around $100-$150. with some deep sockets

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5928_200355928

http://www.zoro.com/sk-professional-...g&gclsrc=aw.ds
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
sKnNyPpY

Just got big rachet set from Lowe's half price. Kobalt for $75 http://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Standar...Piece/50200793
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
Dagr8npwrfloz

If I read your post correctly, your speaking of a "to go" tool box that will ride in your truck permanently for emergency repairs... You had said you use 3/8 on your cars so I assume you have a garage set. If not than DEFINITELY, save your pennies and get all three in a set.... Shallow and deep well...Sometimes those "kits" go on sale for the price of a single 1/2" ratchet... And all those Allen wrenches are great tool steel for fabricating do-dads....
Old 11-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #12
hugger6933

I have a set from Northern that has a lot of stuff in it as my go bag. Also you could go to harbor freight and get some of the Pittsburg brand stuff I have a H/F ratchet in my shop that I use more than my Snap-Ons. You can go to the H/F store and make up a decent go bag for 50 to 60 bucks and that could include a 1/2 inch as well as the 3/8ths and corresponding sockets.Also you may want to look at John Deere tools I know it sounds funny but I have several sets of J/D wrenches and sockets that i love. One time when my shop got broken into they tool ALL of my hand tools and i had a job that had to get done that morning so I ran back into the edge of town and bought a bunch of JD tools and have really liked them ever since. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #13
DarkFlounder

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack about this, but Harbor Freight is actually a decent source for starter tools. And by the time the Harbor Freight stuff breaks (which took me a several years of serious banging on their ratchets), you'll know what you're looking for in tools. I'm slowly replacing some of my HFT tools with Craftsman (the quality isn't what it used to be, but they still have the lifetime guarantee), but I'm still using a lot of HFT stuff.

And my cheap 1/2" torque wrench from HFT still works great, and it still calibrated (had a friend test it).
Old 11-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
72LSK10

I'd go Snap-On all the way but I know budget doesn't allow for such all the time. With that said, I would make sure that I bought the Best ratchet that budget allows. You don't have to get too carried away with the sockets, just don't trust any of the imported tools. If you're stuck out on the road, even worst, in the middle of nowhere, will you have piece of mind using a Taiwan $9.99 ratchet? More so if the nuts and bolts are older and possibly rusted to some degree??? I wouldn't but then again, I'm a little crazy like that. As far as which drive size to go with first, I find myself reaching out for the 3/8" drive about 90% of the time, 1/4" about 5% and the 1/2" the other 5%. Don't forget the small can of WD-40, that'll save the day more often than not. Hope this helps.
72LSK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #15
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
I would try to start with a set with both. You can find a Craftsman set in a box sometimes with 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2. Save your pennies and that is what I would do. You can get this one for $100 right now for example.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-2...ID=00950230000
I'm guessing you're not a professional mechanic or body tech so I would definitely go along with Markdtn's recommendation. The price is right and this should cover 98 percent of your needs. That carrying case will also make it easy to take to the junkyard, which you'll, no doubt, be doing from time to time.

If you're pressed for cash you visit you local Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. I was without my tools for a period a while back and bought some wrenches and sockets at Harbor Freight. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. Probably not for the guy that makes his living with his tools, but for a hobby guy on a budget, I think they're fine.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:37 PM   #16
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfloyd View Post
Agreed. Go buy yourself a set with all three ratchet sizes. Each has it's own niche for sure. When I read this it just occurred to me how much I take for granted my shop and vast array of tools and still find on a daily basis things that I don't have. For that I do have my dad to thank. I still have all of his tools plus all that I have accumulated. Buy good stuff and it will last forever.
There ya go right there... There's a lot of very good quality tools available on C/L, pawn shops and eBay for pennies on the dollar and they will probably outlast even the better known, pricier new tools on the market. Also, don't discount some of the hardware store re-branded tools. My very favorite hand wrenches are from ACE hardware...extremely well made. ..and that's coming from a tool collector!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagr8npwrfloz View Post
If I HAD to choose either/or...3/8" for sure. As the previous fella said its much more versatile. The thinner head gets you into more tight spots. Sockets run up to 7/8" and all the way down to 1/4" on typical sets. And I'd say 90% of the nuts and bolts on your truck are in that range... A small piece of pipe in the box will aid leverage if you need it, just don't cheap out on the ratchet and get 6 point sockets.
Please get a breaker bar! Ratchets are simply not made to withstand heavy loads SAFELY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i'd recommend a good 3/8drive first then a quality 1/4 drive and third and last a 1/2 drive ratchet
Yup! If you need to be on budget right now, buy some cheapies for now and save for the best of the best. As for 1/4" drive, though they are very expensive ($100+) you will thank yourself time and again if you invest in one that is fine toothed and has a swivel head. Then replace the standard one from your garage for your travel bag and keep the good one for tricky work when your at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlounder View Post
I know I'm going to get a lot of flack about this, but Harbor Freight is actually a decent source for starter tools. And by the time the Harbor Freight stuff breaks (which took me a several years of serious banging on their ratchets), you'll know what you're looking for in tools. I'm slowly replacing some of my HFT tools with Craftsman (the quality isn't what it used to be, but they still have the lifetime guarantee), but I'm still using a lot of HFT stuff.
And my cheap 1/2" torque wrench from HFT still works great, and it still calibrated (had a friend test it).
Read your Sears warranty over really well. Chraftsman 'lifetime' is often not what it used to be unless you invest in their Pro series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72LSK10 View Post
I'd go Snap-On all the way but I know budget doesn't allow for such all the time. With that said, I would make sure that I bought the Best ratchet that budget allows. You don't have to get too carried away with the sockets, just don't trust any of the imported... , in the middle of nowhere, will you have piece of mind using a Taiwan $9.99 ratchet? More so if the nuts and bolts are older and possibly rusted to some degree??? I wouldn't but then again, I'm a little crazy like that. As far as which drive size to go with first, I find myself reaching out for the 3/8" drive about 90% of the time, 1/4" about 5% and the 1/2" the other 5%. Don't forget the small can of WD-40, that'll save the day more often than not. Hope this helps.
Many, many of the major, high dollar tools are now made offshore and, in my mind, it's now a world market and if the quality control is there, I refuse to shun owning a tool just because it was made somewhere other than where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post
....... If you're pressed for cash you visit you local Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. I was without my tools for a period a while back and bought some wrenches and sockets at Harbor Freight. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. Probably not for the guy that makes his living with his tools, but for a hobby guy on a budget, I think they're fine.
I agree!

Me? I collect vintage and antique tools so my choice, if I were you, would be to get some HF for now PLUS get the best quality of older ratchets you can buy (Snap-on, Proto, Mac, old Craftsman =V= series, whatever suits your fancy and rebuild them. Rebuild kits are available for nearly 100% of the vintage ratchets out there. After all, it's the same concept we take with our trucks. Start with the best the years had to offer and give it a new lease on life!

OK, off my opinionated soapbox!

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #17
sKnNyPpY

Harbor freight breaker bars are worthless. ACE has closeout bins of great tools especially the big sockets and stuff.
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:20 AM   #18
In The Ten Ring

I am in nearly the same boat as the original poster.

Since beginning work on my 1972 C10 in 2013, I have gone on a bit of a "vintage binge." I really like metal boxes for my tools and not much these days comes in those.

I must agree that 3/8 inch is my most commonly used ratchet set, I found one on ebay from SK Tools. It's vintage and that means a metal box. I love those!

I have only used my 1/2 set twice. Once on a stubborn fuel line retainer bolt and again when removing the front bumper. I used a breaker bar on that.

I have only used my 1/4 inch set to remove the screws that go into the clips that hold the inner grill to the outer grill.

You will probably find a set of ratcheting combination wrenches to be helpful, I like the Craftsman "Max Force" design for that.

A set of screwdrivers. The Kobalt tool that has different inserts is my fav. screwdriver

A set of allen wrenches.

A few pliers of various sizes.

A few electrical pliers, cutters, crimpers.

Vise grips.

Electrical tape!

ZEP 45, PB Blaster, or other break free.

Go 2 Socket for rounded off bolt heads could be useful.

A dremel tool and angle grinder. I have had to cut two inner fenders off when the bolts into the core support turned, breaking the part of the core support they were into off! I used an angle grinder to take the head off of a freewheeling carriage bolt holding on the radiator core support.

Extension cord.

Respirator mask. Unless you like breathing grinding dust.

Magnetic flashlights.

Pans, buckets, etc. for catching fluids.

Nut drivers (the Kobalt screwdriver above is what I use).

Oil filter wrench.

2 1/2 ton jack.

Jack stands.

Shop towels.

I think that about covers it. Sorry for if I bored everyone.

Safety glasses!!!!!

A bench vise.

Wire wheel (electric).

After you buy all of this you'll need a tool box. I just pile everything in a mess in the floor, that way when I can't find it, I have to go buy a new one.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:55 AM   #19
mikey2409

As a full time automotive technician and enthusiast have spent thousands of dollars on tools and have used several different tools company's my choice of tool is snap on and lately has been matcolloid mac tools all it is are fancy Stanley tools as well as cornwell part of Stanley as well so I'll give you a bit of info craftsman great for entry-level level but wear and tear happens fast with the way they are made these days harbor freight is a hit and miss mid level you could do napa and car quest duralast have good warranty and could take some wear and tear made from old press and dies from the major tool companies expert level snap on matco mac cornwell sk kd now on to want I would recommend
Snap on ratches the best pricey but we'll worth it
Matco great entry-level starter set to help build a tool box fast and still cover for life
Gearwrench ratchet wrenches good cost at sears and good tools
Craftsman combo wrenches
Hammers harbor freight it's a hammer choices almost unlimited
Punches and chisels amazon astro tools
Use amazon you can't get a lot of tools that are the main manufacturers that make all the big name company tools for half the cost with their name and not the big companies with the same warranty
mikey2409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #20
cableguy0

If Im not mistaken Matco and the Craftsmen stuff that's actually still made in America are made in the same factory. My Snap-on guy came across a ratchet with craftsmen on the handle and the Matco logo on the head. Must have been an ooops at the factory. Honestly if you aren't going to buy Snap on you might as well just hit harbor freight. Their stuff is very decent for home use. I would however spend the money and get a Snap on ratchet. Your knuckles will thank you when you pull really hard and the ratchet doesn't break or just randomly change direction like Craftsmen stuff likes to do. I don't like punching frames or engines at full force. I will just spend the money on good stuff. I use my stuff everyday so my box is full of Snap on stuff with a few exceptions. However I figure if Im buying Chinese junk Im only paying for Chinese junk. I will buy harbor freight before the other available brands. They warranty their stuff with no questions.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #21
Flying Hamster

Go to Loews or Home Despot and get a basic set to do what you need to get going. When summer rolls around, hit the swap meets/flea markets, etc. and see what you can find in the older tools and a small carry box for in the truck. New tools don't feel "right" in an old vehicle.
Flying Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #22
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Hamster View Post
Go to Loews or Home Despot and get a basic set to do what you need to get going. When summer rolls around, hit the swap meets/flea markets, etc. and see what you can find in the older tools and a small carry box for in the truck. New tools don't feel "right" in an old vehicle.
That's one of the reasons I bought an older set of SK Tools ratchet sets!

If a person is "busting their knuckles" when a ratchet slips, that person isn't using the tool correctly. Hit the ratchet with the heel of the free hand (open palm), use a cheater bar, or use a breaker bar.

I get the impression tool maker preference is a lot like gun maker preference.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:59 AM   #23
BossH0G

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by ETsC10; 01-06-2016 at 10:23 PM.
BossH0G is offline   Reply With Quote