The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2003, 02:30 PM   #1
Custom 68

Question 6 cylinder engine stand question?

Guys I know this is covered over and over. Talking about placing the V8 in the 6 cyl position. I guess this is done using the 6 cyl mounts? Does this lower the engine also? I have not seen any of the mounts. I am thinking about this as a possiblity I am in need of getting the drive shaft cut anyway and wondering if those mounts are what I need? If so how much should they be and does anybody have a good set to spare? I am eventually going to be at the stage where I can try the different settings and move them if I dont like it before I bolt everything down.
Thanks
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

From what i understand, putting the engine on 6-cylinder mounts raises the engine and moves it further back in the chassis. This is supposed to help on traction on handling.

However, it does put the distributor rather close to the firewall. If you are running a HEI, it may need a little clearancing with the hammer to fit properly.

Six cylinder mounts should be available at any salvage yard for maybe $20/pair unless the owner is an a$$hole...
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:34 PM   #3
Custom 68

Thanks Lucus I graduated from UMR in 92 hang with it. Anyway so the 6 cyl mounts are different do you (or anybody) know in what way? Next time you come to the track in Rogersville drop me a note.
Thanks
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Old 09-16-2003, 09:48 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

They look the same as the V8 mounts basically. The I6 mounts bolt into the rear set of motor mount holes, the V8s the front set. The bolt pattern is different between the two, though, so they won't bolt into the other's holes without mods. I never really noticed the engine sitting higher when in the 6 cyl spot. If it is higher, it's not much. The HEI will fit without hammering the firewall, it's just close. If you remove the dist cap first, you can remove the distributor with the engine in place.

9 out of 10 guys can't tell whether the engine is in the forward or back spot without looking real close. I've walked by dozens of them at car shows and not noticed they were in the wrong spot. The dead give away is that some guys run long water pump and brackets, which cannot be done with the engine in the forward position and still use the fan shroud.

Kevin
Old 09-16-2003, 10:00 PM   #5
Custom 68

Thanks Kevin I may just try to modify my extra set of SB mounts. I knew they went in the rear holes but didnt know if the mounts were different or how much.
Thanks
Old 09-16-2003, 10:33 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

To bolt to the rear holes, you need the 6/250 stands.....the stands are shaped differently. The eng mounts are the same(rubber mounts). As far as position, the eng sets back 3 1/2" on the 6 stands. The height is not noticeably different.....if anything, I would say about 1/4" lower in the chassis....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote