The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2015, 01:13 AM   #1
Wilson!

CTS-V front calipers with 14" rotors

This is a little project I have been working on for my 65 GMC. I am converting the front to disc using CPP modular drop spindles, so I figured it would be as good a time as any to come up with something better than the standard 12" rotor and cast iron single piston caliper or spending an arm and leg for an "out of the box Big Brake Kit". I dug through some catalogs and looked over various rotor and caliper combinations until I found something that would work with minimal modification, and as few custom parts as possible.

Here's what I have so far. I used the CPP modular drop spindle, a custom caliper bracket, '06 CTS-V caliper (4 piston Brembo) and pads, an OE '86 C10 rotor with the rotor cut off and turned down in a brake lathe to make it just a hub, 14" 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee front rotor (for V8 application), and longer wheel studs. I have an aftermarket flat style bearing dust cover coming.

You can kind of see in the first pic the size difference between the '87 single piston caliper and the CTS-V unit, yet the CTV-S unit is a lot lighter. I'll try and get a pic of the difference in rotor size soon, but it's basically a 12" vs a 14".

These will be going on the front with a modded 1996 Impala SS combination valve, master cylinder for a 70's Vette, and 1996 Impala SS rear disc using CaptianFap's brackets.

Pics of the fronts assembled on the bench (I'll get more pics once I get them on the truck).

rears

Wilson! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:24 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: CTS-V front calipers with 14" rotors

Very interesting. I have thought of doing something similar with the CPP modular spindles but just no time with working 80 hrs a week every week.

Looking forward to seeing your progress and the finished installation.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
luvbowties

Smile Re: CTS-V front calipers with 14" rotors

[quote=Wilson!;7383370]This is a little project I have been working on for my 65 GMC. I am converting the front to disc using CPP modular drop spindles, so I figured it would be as good a time as any to come up with something better than the standard 12" rotor and cast iron single piston caliper or spending an arm and leg for an "out of the box Big Brake Kit". I dug through some catalogs and looked over various rotor and caliper combinations until I found something that would work with minimal modification, and as few custom parts as possible.

Here's what I have so far. I used the CPP modular drop spindle, a custom caliper bracket, '06 CTS-V caliper (4 piston Brembo) and pads, an OE '86 C10 rotor with the rotor cut off and turned down in a brake lathe to make it just a hub, 14" 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee front rotor (for V8 application), and longer wheel studs. I have an aftermarket flat style bearing dust cover coming.

You can kind of see in the first pic the size difference between the '87 single piston caliper and the CTS-V unit, yet the CTV-S unit is a lot lighter. I'll try and get a pic of the difference in rotor size soon, but it's basically a 12" vs a 14".

These will be going on the front with a modded 1996 Impala SS combination valve, master cylinder for a 70's Vette, and 1996 Impala SS rear disc using CaptianFap's brackets.

Very nice execution of out-of-the-box ideas, using off the shelf parts. I love using them when I can vs. buying custom from vendors: this way you know just what to call for when service is needed. I'd think that 14" CTS-V rotors and calipers should be quite adequate for our 'old' trucks.

Thx for a good write-up with good pics. Do we get more?
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
Wilson!

The CTS-V and Impala parts should stop it really well considering this truck weighs 500 lbs less than either of the donor cars lol.

The next up date may be a bit. I'm trying to decide on wheels. They have to be at least a 18" to clear.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
theastronaut

I'm doing CTS-V brakes (except V2) on CPP Modular spindles as well. What are you doing for front caliper brackets? I had mine at a shop to have brackets made but they never got around to it. I'm pretty sure V1 and V2 calipers will interchange so the brackets should work the same.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #6
Wilson!

I mocked the bracket up with cardboard then took them to a friend that owns a CNC Plasma cutter. they aren't 100% final yet, we are tweaking the design a bit, but they would work as is if they had too. they aren't as pretty as I would like, from grinding them to try and get better fitment before cutting a final set on the CNC machine.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #7
raic65

Cool swap. I did a similar swap with my 66 C10.

raic65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:32 AM   #8
BOToole7

raic65

Do you have brackets available for purchase or copying? Did you use the 63-70 CPP 2" drop spindles for those brakes? I have a set of V2 Yellow CTSV brakes and noticed your rotors were different as well... Which rotors did you choose to run for your setup?
BOToole7 is offline   Reply With Quote