The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
Lmac

Insurance

Looking at options on my recently purchased 68 K20. What do you guys do about insurance? Add the truck to your regular policy with your other vehicles and cover it for liability or a separate classic or collector policy.
Lmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
70's luvr

Re: Insurance

Since mines not restored I just insured it like a normal vehicle (Geico).
70's luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
EARNHARDT#3

I use Hagerty. I have it insured for an agreed value of $5000 (maybe I should bump it up a little now) and it's $130 a year and includes a small amount of towing.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Lmac

Thanks, just curious. Mines not restored either but pretty solid. I don't think I'll be putting many miles on it so I checked with Haverty online. The quote was very reasonable but then they called and started asking lots of questions like did I intend to run errands in the truck, would I ever drive it to work. Did I plan to tow with it. I guess I was a little surprised, I told her I might drive it to work a couple times a month and I have an 18ft aluminum boat & that I didn't want to rule out using the truck to go fishing. She said we were not right for each other.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
davepl

Hagerty all the way. Be up front and honest about your intended use - I don't think they insure daily drivers but they do insure cars that will get driven often.

Granted I've been with them 20 years and never had an accident, but when the wheel fell off my Camaro and took the hood, fender, door, spindle, brakes, and a lot else with it they didn't even charge a deductible, even though I had one. They also found an NOS fender and hood (try that!) and spindle and rotor, no less. Like they actually went on eBay and tracked the parts down for the bodyshop.

Customer for life now!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
leftybass209

Hagerty didn't steer my pops wrong when someone rear-ended him in his 55 Bel-air. No questions asked about the quality of the parts he had on the car, the appraiser came out, and they paid him above and beyond what the damage was (just the bumper). All in I think he got 3x the value of the bumper and bumperettes.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
They also found an NOS fender and hood (try that!) and spindle and rotor, no less. Like they actually went on eBay and tracked the parts down for the bodyshop.

Customer for life now!
True as well! They have people that physically scour swap meets for hard to find items and that's at no charge to you. They are truly car guys at heart with your best interest (and investment) in mind.

That's not to say the others aren't any good, I just have no experience with them. I'm actually very interested to hear if Grundy and those have the same approach.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
hamjet

I also have Hagerty. no problems yet, but they do want you to keep it in a locked garage/shed..
Old 11-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

I have Hagerty on my '71 GMC Jimmy. Main reason was I could have a vintage plate and avoid the annual smog inspection, as the 350 was always a ''bad boy hot rod'' to the ADEQ inspectors.
My '68 C/10 Stepside and '92 Subaru Legacy and the House are still with Allstate.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
DarkFlounder

My 72 is my daily driver, so I've got it on AAA with my wife's car.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #11
87Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmac View Post
Thanks, just curious. Mines not restored either but pretty solid. I don't think I'll be putting many miles on it so I checked with Haverty online. The quote was very reasonable but then they called and started asking lots of questions like did I intend to run errands in the truck, would I ever drive it to work. Did I plan to tow with it. I guess I was a little surprised, I told her I might drive it to work a couple times a month and I have an 18ft aluminum boat & that I didn't want to rule out using the truck to go fishing. She said we were not right for each other.
I'm with Hagerty as well. I had a similar experience with them asking questions. I mentioned that I would occasionally tow my boat with it and they bumped up the premium $20. Didn't ask me about driving it to work or running errands though. They did ask me about 10 times if I was going to use it for off roading though.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #12
RPBurris

Hagerty will probably be cheaper than adding it to your standard policy. A good agent can help you figure that out to. I went with Hagerty a few years ago and like a previous post said have an agreed upon value and something like $150 a year. I had to take some photos and send them in but no big deal.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #13
cdowns

I always just used allstate as my seconday vehicle it was very resonable with no restrictions and it cost in the neighborhood of $100 for 6 months for fullcoverage
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I have American Family Insurance and all of my oldies are insured through them at stated value. All I have to do is get an appraisal and send them a couple of pictures. I can drive them as much as I want to and actually use them as a truck....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:39 PM   #15
Lmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I have American Family Insurance and all of my oldies are insured through them at stated value. All I have to do is get an appraisal and send them a couple of pictures. I can drive them as much as I want to and actually use them as a truck....

LockDoc
Thanks LD, I will contact American Family. I really would like to cover it at a agreed value. I still need to get with Allstate. They have the rest of my insurance business. From what I've heard they don't do the prearranged value thing.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:57 PM   #16
Lmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Skier View Post
I'm with Hagerty as well. I had a similar experience with them asking questions. I mentioned that I would occasionally tow my boat with it and they bumped up the premium $20. Didn't ask me about driving it to work or running errands though. They did ask me about 10 times if I was going to use it for off roading though.
This is probably what got me the most. She asked about the off roading thing also and I kinda waffled. Said no 4 wheeling but I wouldn't think twice about taking it camping or out to a hunting cabin. It was like taking a test i didn't study for. it caught me off guard I was at work and had not really even thought about any of these kind of questions.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #17
Carmen Black

I have had Grundy and Hagerty. My question is did anyone get a good list of restrictions in the policy papers they received? They both have vague guidelines on their websites and their hotline will talk to you all day long about what is right and what is wrong, but nothing really in writing.

What I am concerned about is driving to work and running errands in the truck. Grundy acted like that was the craziest idea they had ever heard of while Hagerty was fine driving to work about 20 times year and running errands. But neither addressed any of this in the actual policy papers that they sent me. I am worried that If I ever need to file a claim, then they are going to forget what we verbally agreed to.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #18
knomadd

I have Hagerty for my GTO and love it. I haven't seen any paperwork on the restrictions, but all things I've heard and been told suggest they have no restrictions. Or at least none that affect me and how I use it. Occasionally bring it to work or running errands, but I don't put a lot of miles on it.

I skimmed most of the replies so I apologize if this has been mentioned before. I do feel it is worth mentioning again if it has already been said though. Hagerty told me they would not insure my C10 because it is parked outside. They told me they can provide lower rates because the vehicles are kept inside a building, out of sight and harder to get to, so it's not an easy target for vandalism or weather events that may require a claim. Because Hagerty wouldn't insure my C10 it's covered by my regular insurance (State Farm) as a secondary vehicle. However, they (SF) told me it can only be insured for up to $7,000. I have more in it than that, so if it gets totaled, I'll be at a loss.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #19
EARNHARDT#3

Hagerty made me take a picture of it in the garage and send it to them. It lives under the carport though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
I have Hagerty for my GTO and love it. I haven't seen any paperwork on the restrictions, but all things I've heard and been told suggest they have no restrictions. Or at least none that affect me and how I use it. Occasionally bring it to work or running errands, but I don't put a lot of miles on it.

I skimmed most of the replies so I apologize if this has been mentioned before. I do feel it is worth mentioning again if it has already been said though. Hagerty told me they would not insure my C10 because it is parked outside. They told me they can provide lower rates because the vehicles are kept inside a building, out of sight and harder to get to, so it's not an easy target for vandalism or weather events that may require a claim. Because Hagerty wouldn't insure my C10 it's covered by my regular insurance (State Farm) as a secondary vehicle. However, they (SF) told me it can only be insured for up to $7,000. I have more in it than that, so if it gets totaled, I'll be at a loss.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote