The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
RodsGreen10

In Tank Fuel Pump Options

I am wanting to delete the mechanical fuel pump from my setup. Does anyone now if they make a direct drop in for our gas tanks. I am wanting the in tank fuel pump. Basically what I have now but with the pump in the tank with the level feed line return line and the vent. This is on a 76 single tank truck.
Thanks
RodsGreen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
RodsGreen10

Re: In Tank Fuel Pump Options

Will either of these work?

http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.orei...0401&ppt=C0025

http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.orei...0401&ppt=C0025
Old 11-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
Firebirdjones

On these retro swaps I prefer to do one of 2 things.

For the classic cars I'll either go to Tanks-Inc and buy the entire stock appearing tank that is baffled for the intank pump, comes with pump, sending unit, etc... and swap it as an entire package. Unfortunately they don't make tanks for these trucks that I'm aware of.

The other option I do is use Aeromotive stealth pump setups that comes with it's own bladder/baffle assembly to keep the pump submerged in fuel. These setups can be installed in most any tank and they work fantastic.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
RodsGreen10

Yes I have looked Into the aeromotive phantom I have one on another vehicle. I was just being lazy I guess just wanted a direct drop in. Lol.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
Firebirdjones

Yeah I know we all look for cheaper ways to do things. The issue I would have with what you have linked to, is that the stock tank you want to put it in is not baffled for an in-tank pump.

You may be able to grab a tank from another later model truck that had a factory in-tank pump, something with TBI or FI originally, and then adapt that tank to your truck to try and save some coin.

My thoughts on that method though is that this is lot of time and effort on my part to do something that Aeromotive makes so simple nowadays. So that small amount of money saved isn't worth my time to search out a tank, and a used tank at that most likely, which can open another can of worms. Aeromotive makes a nice package that doesn't require leg work and it just saves me time, plus it's always there to support silly HP if added later without the need to dive back in and change the pump....again.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Yeah I know we all look for cheaper ways to do things. The issue I would have with what you have linked to, is that the stock tank you want to put it in is not baffled for an in-tank pump.

You may be able to grab a tank from another later model truck that had a factory in-tank pump, something with TBI or FI originally, and then adapt that tank to your truck to try and save some coin.

My thoughts on that method though is that this is lot of time and effort on my part to do something that Aeromotive makes so simple nowadays. So that small amount of money saved isn't worth my time to search out a tank, and a used tank at that most likely, which can open another can of worms. Aeromotive makes a nice package that doesn't require leg work and it just saves me time, plus it's always there to support silly HP if added later without the need to dive back in and change the pump....again.
This is true. I already have silly HP. That is why I am looking for this electric setup. Making some changes to my current setup. Thanks for getting my head out of my butt lmao.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
Firebirdjones

I wasn't trying to deter you, but just conveying how I do these things nowadays, that's all. I do a lot of LS swaps for people, and a lot of them try this stuff on a budget and want inline electric pumps. I've been down that road before and it "eventually" never ends well as they do have a somewhat short life.
I completely understand the budget approach, but anymore I just don't touch these retro swaps unless the person is willing to spend the money to upgrade the fuel system properly with some form of an in-tank pump kit or an entirely new tank from Tanks-Inc. Otherwise I turn the swaps away.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
RodsGreen10

No deterring here lol. Budget not the issue. Honestly I was just being lazy lol. Figured that it would just drop right in wore it and be done lol. Just like my aeromotive phantom I have on another vehicle minus drilling the hole. That would be the trick if a company made one for these trucks with it all setup ready to go. And thanks again.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
RodsGreen10

Now to find a good flat spot for the aeromotive setup. Lol. Idk if I will go back with a steel tank or a poly tank. This tank I have now is only a year old.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
Firebirdjones

It's only a matter of time I think. Tanks-Inc started out offering retro tank setups for in-tank pumps for the 1st gen Camaros, and has since expanded to A-bodies, 2nd gen F-bodies, and more.... As popular as these trucks are getting I wouldn't be surprised if a retro tank setup ready to go is offered at some point in the future. It sure makes things easy, and for about $600 complete and ready to rock, it's a good deal. Especially when dealing with a 45 year old classic that could use a new tank anyway.

On my 72 blazer I had NW Metal Fab build a 37 gallon tank with baffling, so I could drop in a 340 lph Walbro pump to feed the 6.0 LS swap I did. Worked slick and never had another issue with it.

However this option approached the $1,000 mark by the time it was done. Which makes the Aeromotive drop in stealth pumps look like that much more of a sweet deal.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #11
RodsGreen10

I agree $600 drop and rock is a deal. Walbro great pump I installed one on a twin turbo truck I have running E85. Those pumps kick butt. Yep another aeromotive kit is in my my sights again. Lol. Steel or poly tank and location these tanks are funky shaped as most already know.
Thanks
Old 11-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #12
Firebirdjones

Tanks Inc is a good setup for the money.

You have the option of coatings on the tank, several Walbro pumps to choose from, the tank is baffled and setup for the pump and the sending unit. Once installed it looks stock. $600 by the time it's done, hard to beat. Just did one in my fathers GTO to support the 571ci engine he just built.

Last time I bought an Aeromotive drop in pump it was around the $500 mark if I remember right. And you're still drilling a big hole in an old tank. Or what I would recommend, starting with a brand new tank, but that adds to the cost. Which is what makes Tanks-Inc look so good.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #13
RodsGreen10

Thumbs up Re: In Tank Fuel Pump Options

I will agree on both comments above.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #14
D13

I'm assuming you need a lot of fuel flow. Otherwise you could just swap in an 87 baffled tank and sender and upgrade the pump. Since you currently have a mechanical pump you must not be needing the pressure of LS capable pumps which there are several threads on.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #15
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
I'm assuming you need a lot of fuel flow. Otherwise you could just swap in an 87 baffled tank and sender and upgrade the pump. Since you currently have a mechanical pump you must not be needing the pressure of LS capable pumps which there are several threads on.
Just wanting to up grade my fuel system. And yes need pressure of a LS pump but not for a LS. And imagine several threads on that wow. Haha.

And I have looked for a after market 87 tank the ones that I find are not baffled. Unless I go with a 87-91 burban and I don't want my tank hanging off my ass. And upgrading the fuel pump is simple Walbro or Arrmotive pump will pump all you need all day long.

I plan on just ordering another Aermotive kit I have one currently in another vehicle and it has performed without a hiccup.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #16
RodsGreen10

Could do this upgrade this pump on this. But I am needing a pump with just power and ground. I think I could just use power and ground cause the other wire is for relay. Right or wrong?

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...id=513&jpid=14

Then found the baffled tank.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=514&jpid=6
Old 11-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #17
RodsGreen10

Ok the other wire is for the sending unit. Power ground sending unit.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #18
RodsGreen10

Well I ordered the R10 Tank with the baffles. A sending unit. And a Aeromotive Stealth 340 lph gm pump. Going to see how that works out. Never now unless I try. And if it does not well I will piece it out.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:51 PM   #19
D13

Looking forward to your results and hope it works great! Understood your desire to hot have the Burb tank
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #20
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
Looking forward to your results and hope it works great! Understood your desire to hot have the Burb tank
Thanks finger crossed. Yeah i don't want to modify the bed or do something of that nature for a rear tank with a original unmolested bed. Trying to keep it somewhat original haha. Tank is a baffled R10 tank and a direct bolt in for my truck. We will see how it goes. That pump should have no issue supplying fuel if it does I have a Walbro E85 pump that I know will it will suck the tank dry. Lol.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #21
mikentosh

For the LS swap we just did we went with the '87 TBI (baffled) tank, '87 sender unit, swapped in a EP381 fuel pump and used a Corvette fuel pressure regulator/filter. It would all be OEM looking bolt in minus the wiring. Also no problems supplying the LS3 with fuel and I have 1300 miles on it now.
mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #22
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikentosh View Post
For the LS swap we just did we went with the '87 TBI (baffled) tank, '87 sender unit, swapped in a EP381 fuel pump and used a Corvette fuel pressure regulator/filter. It would all be OEM looking bolt in minus the wiring. Also no problems supplying the LS3 with fuel and I have 1300 miles on it now.
Well sounds like it will work out for me then. That's what I am going for looking stock. Minus the pressure reg I won't need that.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #23
RodsGreen10

What size fuel line you all running with these LS pumps? -6an or -8an?
Old 11-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #24
mikentosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodsGreen10 View Post
What size fuel line you all running with these LS pumps? -6an or -8an?
We used -6 between the pump/sender and the FPR, then 3/8" hardline up to the motor.
mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #25
RodsGreen10

Ok. Well good. As long as this setup with -6an will support 600hp at the wheels then I am golden!! It should handle it with no issues. My Walbro pump can handle it just fine.

Last edited by RodsGreen10; 11-26-2015 at 02:19 PM.