The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
Ricos54

Wiring harness protecting wires

I'm getting ready to wiring in my truck and I bought the plastic wrinkle stuff, but my friend said if I want my wiring to last a long time I should use something better. He said there's other stuff out there like aluminum tubing like fuel line. Wondering what you guy's are using to protect your wires that are exposed to the elements?
Pictures would be nice to see how your mounting them.

Thanks,
Rico
And Happy Thanksgiving Everyone
Ricos54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Wiring harness protecting wires

I think your buddy doesn't know as much about the subject as he thinks he does. Look under the hood of most any car or truck built in the past 50 years and they have very similar covering on the wires under the hood and the wire is usually in pretty good shape. The metal tubing makes for a cleaner neater install in some cases where you want a real custom look without wires running everywhere. I've known guys to run a length of conduit down the inside of the frame rail when they built (redid) the frame to run the wiring though so they don't have wires showing when you look under the truck.

LOL on myself, I've got a roll of "purple" plastic wiring loom sleeve in my wiring box from 25 years ago when I was going to paint the truck purple and match the loom in a mod rod sort of setup. I'm sure not going to use it on anything now unless I have some equipment I can hide it in. I even had the purple wire ties to go with it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Don't buy the parts store crap-it doesn't hold up to under hood heat at all. In use Delphi high temp/flame resistant looming-it features a blue stripe long the spine to indicate its rating of 275F protection. I sell it by the foot if you need some. I stock it in 3/8, 1/2 3/4 inch. PM me for a price based on footage. I build newer style OEM replacement harnesses and this type of looming is never included with your typical aftermarket harness offerings.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
OrrieG

I used a fire retardant braided product. I got two sizes 3/4 and 3/8. Here is one company, but I found others on Ebay.

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/clea...-retardant.php

If you need to pull out one wire from the bundle you just slit the loom. I used UL listed electrical tape to terminate the ends. For some short runs with a lot of wires branching off I used the black spiril stuff. Before this build I had used the ribbed split stuff but over time it gets dirty and is hard to clean.

For the wiring on the intake manifold I made a piece of brake line (kudos to KustomBrad) to route the wire.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
Foot Stomper

One other option when considering wire management is vulcanizing/amalgamating tape. This type of product is far better than electrical tape in certain applications and is very handy to have regardless.

Here's a short youtube video worth a minute or two to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-vtvUC4RoQ

If you want to remove this product, the only way to do so is slit it lengthwise. It leaves zero glue residue which is especially nice when compared to electrical tape.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
47 Fasttoys

For mine I used a overlapping split loom available from painless. I was able to get a complete assortment with my wiring kit on a special when I ordered my chassis kit. It was a good kit with plenty of loom. It does take a bit of work working with the smaller stuff but I'm happy with the end results.
Rob

Old 12-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
oilslicktg

Remember Cloth wiring, it deteriorated in heat just as plastic wiring will over a period of time, and they still make cloth wiring, just thinking about that stuff is like me getting my fat ass in a pair of skinny jeans, it just isn't going to happen.
oilslicktg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #8
solidaxel

I like to use a "conduit" for long runs (rear tail light) the conduit I have been using is a clear "hose" from the hardware store the size is determined by the size of the wire bundle.
Last job I used some water pipe I think it is called PEC pipe for all straight runs.
This is not fire proof but will work with some clearance from exhaust heat

Now looking for some Python tape!!! Thanks
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
ptc

The split loom fabric stuff is pretty much the standard for the automotive industry nowadays and its used in every size and shape imaginable. even preformed for doors etc. Its oil and gas safe, fire retardant and comes in different colors too.

Conduit? Try using Pnuematic tubing - also comes in many sizes and colors. less weight and NEVER rusts....

http://ph.parker.com/us/en/plastic-a...polymer-tubing