The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
42_NATO

Looking for advice on how to add or fix my fan problem.

Well my 65 has a 350 in it and starts over heating after driving a while only when im at a stop or moving slowly . ive made the conclusion that since i dont have an engine shroud. The water pump fan isnt pulling enough air from the radiator. So i was looking into buying the shroud but new there running 130.00 . i also looked into just adding a fan or two.

I have a fan from a previous car that should work . so should i just add that fan on a toggle switch .

Or should i buy the temp sensor and relays for the fan and remove the old water pump fan.

Or should i just buy the shroud.
42_NATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
dougf

Re: Looking for advice on how to add or fix my fan problem.

Well, you have a couple ways to go here and it just depends on your preference. Personally, if you already have everything except the shroud, I would just install one. Keep looking on the forums classifieds or for online deals. Your other option is adding an electric fan or two but that involves relays and wiring with the temp sensor for it to work properly PLUS most electric fans STILL need a shroud to pull air across the radiator properly. If it were me I would keep the mechanical fan and get a shroud. Or make one, there's people out there who have. Good luck!
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:20 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

The shroud is worth the money. The aftermarket ones are good quality. The original I had was just crumbling apart and I would figure most originals would be doing the same thing. If you got the tools and time, you can build one from metal, but I would think you would end up spending as much as the new one.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:40 PM   #4
42_NATO

The fan I have is one of those that has a small shroud and hugs the radiator. I'm thinking of just wiring it up until I can get the proper shroud. I was tempted to buy the relays off eBay for about 50 bux and using some of those slim fans. But wasn't sure if that would work well. Thanks for the tip
Old 11-27-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
Blue666(2)

Have you checked your bottom radiator hose to make sure the that the spiral wound wire is there? It keeps the hose from collapsing and pinching off the water flow.

The shroud is really in portant also.
Blue666(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:11 AM   #6
42_NATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue666(2) View Post
Have you checked your bottom radiator hose to make sure the that the spiral wound wire is there? It keeps the hose from collapsing and pinching off the water flow.

I will double check in the morning
Old 11-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
gmachinz
Account Suspended

If you were to use an electric fan, how much room do you have between the water pump pulley and radiator fin area...? As measured in inches....I have some solutions for ya possibly.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
blown240

I just finished the Taurus fan install. I have about $100 in the whole deal and the cooling is amazing. Before I did that I was overheating in traffic bad...

You just need to have a pretty stout alternator to run it....
Old 11-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
42_NATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
I just finished the Taurus fan install. I have about $100 in the whole deal and the cooling is amazing. Before I did that I was overheating in traffic bad...

You just need to have a pretty stout alternator to run it....
Can u post a pic of the setup. My alternator isnt stock . was told by the previous owner it was better replacing the older setup
Old 11-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
42_NATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue666(2) View Post

Yes it's in there .never new they had those in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
If you were to use an electric fan, how much room do you have between the water pump pulley and radiator fin area...? As measured in inches....I have some solutions for ya possibly.
I would say 3-4. "
Old 11-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #11
padresag

the stock orig shroud was designed for the short w/pump. with the long pump it puts the fan further in and loses the effectiveness of the shroud
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #12
42_NATO

The truck doesn't get used much o I'm thinking of probably doing the Taurus fan mod on the cheap. Meaning waiting for some parts to fall into my hands for free or nearly free.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
padresag

watch they don't hit you in the head first!
ron
Old 11-27-2015, 11:41 PM   #14
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Removing the spacer between the clutch fan and the water pump and adding a stock style fan shroud should solve your cooling issues. That is as long as the cooling system is in good condition.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:43 PM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

He has the short water pump Ron. Someone has put a spacer between the clutch fan and the water pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
the stock orig shroud was designed for the short w/pump. with the long pump it puts the fan further in and loses the effectiveness of the shroud
ron
Old 11-28-2015, 12:00 AM   #16
71swb4x4

A shroud will likely solve your problems. The symptoms you are describing suggest that a shroud will solve it.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:19 AM   #17
42_NATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
He has the short water pump Ron. Someone has put a spacer between the clutch fan and the water pump.
Captainfab your saying that my fan has a spacer. Do u happen to know why or what its for?
Old 11-28-2015, 12:31 AM   #18
luvbowties

Smile Re: Looking for advice on how to add or fix my fan problem.

I'd say that installing the Taurus setup would be more work than installing a shroud; and then add the expense of a high-amp alternator and wiring and sensors. You'd likely have more labor AND expense than just going ahead and biting the bullet and buying a good shroud.

Plus, we THINK(as touted by a few people) the Taurus fans would solve your issue.........and we KNOW(from lots of experiences) that the shroud would solve it. And with the shroud, you have much less to go wrong.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:35 AM   #19
42_NATO

It's just deciding which route to take I don't mind doing the work for the Taurus fans if I can do it cheaper than a new shroud. But my second question is what kind of truck shrouds can fit in my truck.

Maybe I can get something from Craigslist and make it work
Old 11-28-2015, 12:44 AM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

More than likely the clutch fan was an attempt to cure a cooling issue and whoever installed it thought that the closer to the radiator the better. When installing a shroud, the fan blades need to be 1/3 to 1/2 inside the edge of the shroud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42_NATO View Post
Captainfab your saying that my fan has a spacer. Do u happen to know why or what its for?
The only shroud that is going to fit correctly is one for a '63-'6 truck with a V8. Now if you have more time than dollars and are handy with fiberglass, you can make your own shroud in a day. If you're interested, I'll see if I can find a thread I have seen on how to do that.

Quote:
It's just deciding which route to take I don't mind doing the work for the Taurus fans if I can do it cheaper than a new shroud. But my second question is what kind of truck shrouds can fit in my truck.

Maybe I can get something from Craigslist and make it work
Old 11-28-2015, 01:05 AM   #21
42_NATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
More than likely the clutch fan was an attempt to cure a cooling issue and whoever installed it thought that the closer to the radiator the better. When installing a shroud, the fan blades need to be 1/3 to 1/2 inside the edge of the shroud.

The only shroud that is going to fit correctly is one for a '63-'6 truck with a V8. Now if you have more time than dollars and are handy with fiberglass, you can make your own shroud in a day. If you're interested, I'll see if I can find a thread I have seen on how to do that.
Good advice captain. I'll have to see what I end up doing. I may not have the nack to mess with fiberglass but if I don't find a used shroud here in the next few months before the cold month end I'll probably end up buying the electric fan set up. The way I see it if I'm going to spend money I rather spend it on the electric fans.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:25 AM   #22
padresag

I have a spare shroud but it needs a little f/glass repair work.
pm me your zip code and I will see what it costs to ship
ron
Old 11-28-2015, 01:49 AM   #23
42_NATO

Beside me being out of gas. Correct me if I'm wrong but Im starting to think that the truck may not have a thermostat. Or this stock gauge doesn't work that well. What do u guys think. I just drove the truck for about 30 min and she's cold still.

Last edited by 42_NATO; 11-28-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:14 AM   #24
luvbowties

Smile Re: Looking for advice on how to add or fix my fan problem.

Quote:
Beside me being out of gas. Correct me if I'm wrong but Im starting to think that the truck may not have a thermostat. Or this stock gauge doesn't work that well. What do u guys think. I just drove the truck for about 30 min and she's cold still.
Cheap insurance will be to install/replace with a new t'stat. It may be all needed to solve your problems.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:38 AM   #25
'63GENIII

Pretty nice offer of you Ron. I'd take that over an elect. fan all day long. The re popped shroud I found cured my overheating issues. It never overheats anymore.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote