The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2003, 08:31 AM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

OEM shock color?

I am trying to get my suspension detailed. Some of the colors won't be correct because GM left so many things raw. I could bead blast them, and clear coat them, but I don't have time now.

Anyway, to my question. I know most OEM shocks were black. I have seen GM blue too. Does anyone know of any other colors?

I don't want black, because they need to contrast. If nothing else, I will probably go with blue.

Here's what I am starting with-
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 10:34 AM   #2
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

In the pic you sent me of the frame were the shocks yellow.. (I am NOT suggesting yellow though..)
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 12:13 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Did GM use Monroe shocks back then? Wasn't Monroe shocks blue?

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 01:02 PM   #4
n2billet
Village Idiot....

N2TRUX, what are you doing? Yes your truck is almost stock but I don't really think it matters if your shocks are the right color or not since your have air ride? I'm not ragging on you (ok I am) but just clean that bad boy up and drive it.... who cares if this is the right color or that's the right color, it's super clean and who really cares what the SS judges thing..... now it's your turn to cut loose on me...... but remember, I will be working on your Blazer once it gets here .......hahahah (evil laugh)
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 03:45 PM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

Maaan, look at that fugly upper control arm...better get some OEM paint for that summbich and paint it up.

I am with n2billit on this one, don't worry about your shocks and suspension...keep it original and drive the thing. Your truck is super clean as it is...save all this perfect stuff for the Blazer.

Just cause you have money doesn't mean you need to spend it!! hahahah

Give it to me for Yeller!

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:02 PM   #6
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblock73
Just cause you have money doesn't mean you need to spend it!! hahahah

Give it to me for Yeller!

-Jeff
Get in line Jeff. I already have the adoption papers filled out. Ken just won't sign them!!! And I am not giving my slot up!
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 09-17-2003, 04:32 PM   #7
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Chris,

I think I'm right behind you.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:47 PM   #8
bigblock73
yeller

Well call chris "monkey see" and Mike "monkey do".

I was the first to say it...so i am first in line, Chris is second, and Mike is third.

Don't worry guys, Ken has P L E N T Y to go around!

hah

-Jeff
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 05:01 PM   #9
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblock73
Well call chris "monkey see" and Mike "monkey do".

I was the first to say it...so i am first in line, Chris is second, and Mike is third.

-Jeff
Actually I asked him to adopt me a LONG time ago, and he declined so I am still in the first slot.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 09-17-2003, 06:14 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Ok, guys if y'all are done having fun at my expense, let me in here.

The suspension does look pretty good in the pics, "but" it was pretty grungy too. I decided to do some cleaning, and one thing led to another.

The end result is, the shocks needed paint on them. Someone had repainted them already, and the paint would not clean up. I figured if they are going to get a coat of paint, I may as well make it look correct.

This is not an attempt to make this a concourse quality resto job. On the other hand, y'all know how I am about details...
Old 09-17-2003, 06:20 PM   #11
SCOTI

From what I remember, when I worked @ Sears & was swapping shocks back in the days of my youth, most GM's were a medium/dark blue. But....BUT.... I don't know how your going to get that original 'swirl' look when you paint 'em.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:25 PM   #12
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Quote:
Originally posted by n2billet
N2TRUX, what are you doing? Yes your truck is almost stock but I don't really think it matters if your shocks are the right color or not since your have air ride? I'm not ragging on you (ok I am) but just clean that bad boy up and drive it.... who cares if this is the right color or that's the right color, it's super clean and who really cares what the SS judges thing..... now it's your turn to cut loose on me...... but remember, I will be working on your Blazer once it gets here .......hahahah (evil laugh)
Ken,

I would have to agree and i was gonna ask you about this in your jack warning sticker and i think its done post but i didn't
want you to feel like i was raggin' on you and your truck.

Being meticulous is a good thing im the same way about my truck but your truck has been altered and therefor the kind of thing's you are doing really don't make alot of sense and wont help you at a show i dont know what class you enter it in but if it's stock you are just spinning your gears cuz with the bag's and dub's your gonna lose alot of point's and i dont think that ac delco battery you have is period correct either.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way cuz your truck is nice and i like it but i feel like you should just relax and enjoy it and just dont worry about the small stuff if a control arm is showing some rust just get some balck paint and take care of it i dont think anyone is gonna know it's not the correct GM black.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 07:55 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOTI
From what I remember, when I worked @ Sears & was swapping shocks back in the days of my youth, most GM's were a medium/dark blue. But....BUT.... I don't know how your going to get that original 'swirl' look when you paint 'em.
Scoti, that's the blue I am talking about. I think the "swirl" effect is a hammertone finish. I looked at some colors of blue today, but couldn't find what I wanted.

I plan to paint everything else, and make a decision from there...
Old 09-17-2003, 08:22 PM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Ok, I know y'all think I am being obssesive with this resto thing, and to a point your right. Let me set the record straight here...

As stated above, I am not trying to make my truck a gold class resto. I realize the 20's and bags don't fit that theme. What I am trying to do is clean up what was already started.

When I bough the truck, a so called "frame off" restoration had been done. For the sake of expense, and time (I assume) some corners were cut, and some edges were left rough.

It was a very nice truck when I bought it, but it wasn't to the level I would like it to be. I had to make a decision which way to go with it.

I could start stripping stuff off of the engine, painting everything, and adding chrome, billet or both till the cows come home. Unfortunately, that would make many areas of the truck look bad because they were stock. The black undercoat looking gunk on the firewall would be a good example.

Instead, I chose to clean up what had already been started. They had done a pretty good job on the resto, but it was a couple of years old. It was time for some new stickers, paint, and a lot of cleaning. This seemed like a challenge to accomplish, since I had never gone this route before.

I have been around car/truck shows for more years than I care (or can) remember. I have attended, shown, judged, and promoted a lot of shows. From this, I have learned what people, and judges like to see.

What they want to see is detail. You don't have to know a thing about custom trucks to know when you see a really well detailed vehicle. That is what I am trying to accomplish here.

While the theme may be a little wierd, it's what I have, and I am going to work it the best I can for now. Besides, how many times have you "true" custom guys looked at a totally restored car/truck and said with a gleem in your eye "that sure would look good laid out on 20's"? I think you are looking at that now....

BTW- Just to make sure this response is taken in the proper context, I am in no way offended that you guys are offering your opinions, or advice. If I didn't want your thoughts, I wouldn't keep coming on here asking...
Old 09-17-2003, 10:34 PM   #15
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Ken,

don't listen to them. They are just jealous. Before I forget it, I am too.

I say do whatever turns your crank. If you are into the resto/mod look, go for it. Who are we to tell you it crazy. Myself, I do what I like, not what someone else likes. I drive it and own it. I think you are doing a hell of a job. Detail is what makes it or breaks it. You can do all the modding in the world, but if it ain't detailed to the max, it ain't going to win.

Personally, I think it's pretty damned cool to have a stock appearing truck on bags and 20's. Especially one as nice as yours. Keep up the good work. You got my vote for best resto/mod truck.

Now, I'm done sucking up. You gonna put me in your will? :p

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 09-18-2003, 08:38 AM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the positive reinforcement. The other guys will come on board when they see pics...