The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
Lookin4the1

a matter of logistics

I've been reading these forums for over a year now. Determined to build a 1st gen chevy with an s10 frame swap, bagged.

the question i'm running into, how much trouble will i run into if i buy/build the s10 frame before actually buying the truck. I've looked from Virgina to Georgia, as west as texas for the perfect build for me and haven't successfully found it yet.
Lookin4the1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: a matter of logistics

you are asking if you buy the s10 frame before a 47-55 will that cause any problems?

no, I had my super pyooter 99 sonoma years before I bought the GMC to plop on it. gave me time to drive it and shake out the problems, allowed me to rebuild the front suspension and brakes, and gave a nice 8' bed haul stuff to haul to the dump.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
Cuttin up

I'm in the middle of mine (54 on an 82 s10 frame) and I haven't even touched the 54. I researched and found roughly what to cut off of the s10 frame, cab mounts etc. I've already done all of the suspension stuff. Its bagged with tubular control arms and drop spindles in front, 4 linked and bridge notched out back. If you had the s10 to start you could work to this point,then you would need the old truck cab.
Cuttin up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
mr48chev

Well if you bought a running driving but rather rough looking S-10 you could sort out the chassis including bagging it and have that end of the project squared away while hunting down the right cab and body parts. As Joedoh said it can also serve as the parts chaser for for the AD truck pieces if it runs and drives. Plus remember you don't have to hack up a nice 3100 short bed truck to do a frame swap that isn't needed. You can take a cab off a big truck and use it or take the pieces off a 3/4 or one ton which have the same nose and front bumper.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4the1 View Post
I've been reading these forums for over a year now. Determined to build a 1st gen chevy with an s10 frame swap, bagged.

the question i'm running into, how much trouble will i run into if i buy/build the s10 frame before actually buying the truck. I've looked from Virgina to Georgia, as west as texas for the perfect build for me and haven't successfully found it yet.
If your luck is like mine, you will buy the S10, spend a bunch of time / money refurbishing what you need....then find several perfect project trucks already set up the way you want on a chassis for a great price close to you.

Maybe not though ... Either way good luck and have fun!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:56 AM   #6
Lookin4the1

that is my concern...finding one already on an s10 frame, or finding an s10 bagged for half the price i put into making one the way i want it. Looking at parts list, i would have close to 2500 in the suspension alone. I found the right s10 chassis in my area stripped and powder coated. its tore down to the cab with no motor or tranny for 500. I figured i could get 100 or so for the sheetmetal at the crusher. ohh decisions.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
solidaxel

You must have a realistic budget for a completed truck before you start
Have you priced a new 2016 GMC lately
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #8
ptc

Quote:
that is my concern...finding one already on an s10 frame, or finding an s10 bagged for half the price i put into making one the way i want it. Looking at parts list, i would have close to 2500 in the suspension alone. I found the right s10 chassis in my area stripped and powder coated. its tore down to the cab with no motor or tranny for 500. I figured i could get 100 or so for the sheetmetal at the crusher. ohh decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
You must have a realistic budget for a completed truck before you start
Have you priced a new 2016 GMC lately
I would say this is your first "project".... making up your total budget and what you expect to pay for all the goods to get the job done.

The thing you have to look at is 1) the vehicles you buy to start with - the S10 and the 47-50 or whatever. The condition of both can and will make you some money back on parts you will not use in resale value. Not alot but some. So all is not lost on the purchase price if you find a decent deal on decent vehicles. Dont just go buy some junk.... junk is junk and has NO value. If you seriously think you have the where with all to resurrect junk (as many here have done) ask them about the time and patience and costs involved.

Then that 2016 GMC price looks pretty good!
Old 12-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #9
Cuttin up

Quote:
Its all whether or not you want to do all the work. Personally I want to do the stuff involved because I want to build it. Buying an s10 that is close to what you want suspension wise is a great cost saver. It comes down to what your budget will allow.
Cuttin up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #10
Lookin4the1

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm going to go ahead and buy the s10 rolling chassis as it sits and strip it down. I will probably keep it this way until i save enough to complete the entire bagged, chassis, wheels, tires. i'll keep everyone updated once the parts start coming together. I won't post a build thread until there's an actual 47-50 involved. ha
-Brian
Old 12-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #11
joedoh

Quote:

if its already powdercoated, and doesnt have the 47-55 mounts on it, you may not want it, by the time you chop everything off and weld everything on that needs to be chopped or welded.

a bare frame, even with wheels on it, stands on its side pretty easily with a cherry picker and stays out of the way

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote