The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

The "Great White Buffalo"

We've all heard those stories about the guy who is hoarding trucks only to see them rot away. Well, this one is not rotten and from what I saw it looks to be in very good shape. Let me give you some back story. Back when I had my green '68 the guys at the parts store were razzing one guy about how the truck in his yard looked just like mine and he should build it the same way, LS and all. The problem was the truck isn't his, it belongs to a friend of his. The friend had inherited the truck when an uncle passed away at 105 years old. They retrieved it from Alabama a few (5-ish) years ago and it has been sitting since. After hearing the story I pretty much forgot about it until yesterday. I was out for a bike ride last night and it popped into my head and it just so happens that when we moved into our new house last year the parts guy's house is just around the corner. I figured I should see if it's still there. Let me say this now, I'm not actively looking for a new project but I'd never pass up a chance to look at a well preserved C10. When I get to his house I don't see it at first and actually ride right past it. Making a second pass I see what looks to be a pristine 71/72 swb stepper... and it's light green. At this point I know I have to get a closer look but I'm not going on the property without permission so I wait. Today after work I dropped by the parts store and asked what the deal was and he told me his buddy won't sell it but he he'll ever do anything with it either. He gave me the guy's number so I called and he was right, I was told the truck is ABSOLUTELY not for sale. I said I understood and that I was a big fan of these trucks asking if he would mind my taking a closer look. At first I thought he said it was okay but as he kept talking it was a no, he said it would be a waste of time for me to look at it. I was bummed! I was thinking this is crazy you don't even own the property! Although I was dejected I remained polite, thanked him for his time, and wished him a good evening. The truck is a I6 3 on the tree and has around 72,000 miles with an interior is said to have been near perfect when it was parked.

Here is a couple of pics, they are horrible and a good distance away but this way you can somewhat understand what I went through today. It looks pretty darn nice from the street.

Note: I did not take the pictures they are from google maps.

Name:  NotForSale_1.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  NotForSale_2.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  88.7 KB

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
trac209

Re: The "Great White Buffalo"

Yeah we've all seen vehicles where the owner is "one" of those guys will will never sell and it just sits and sits and rots away. It's sad but as frustrating as it is theres nothing you can do. I know of a couple of Classics rotting in my immediate neighborhood,one such owner is kind of a hermit and has shown me his stash but refuses to sell anything and says he's fixing to get started on them soon,he's at least 70 btw and they have been sitting in garages and under tarps for 30 years plus.
Funny part of the story is when I redid some windows on front porch sunroom there were about 15 wooden windows I had sitting there and he come over asking what I was going to do with them and I thought I'm gonna have some fun with him. So I replied I don't know,he replied back well those are in nice shape don't just chuck them out. I then with a smile said I think I'll keep them there I may wanna fix them up someday.......I enjoyed chunking them in the trailer to take to the dump with him watching from across the street.

Last edited by trac209; 12-07-2015 at 09:15 PM.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:59 AM   #3
Malamute

It doesn't make much sense does it. I remember a few older gentlemen where I grew up that had them sitting in fields for years and that was when they were only 15 year old trucks.

Some people like to sit on them and dream of the day they will do something with them, I guess I can't say as I blame them.
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

There is a 1949 Chevy 3100 sitting next to a house here where I live. IKi9nda partial to those old trucks as I learned how to drive in one. I moved here in 1991 and tried to buy the old rig from the guy back then. I was told, "It was my dad's truck and I am fixing it up." That truck is still sitting in the same exact spot and it is completely rotted now. At one point the windows were rolled down so you know the interior is gone as well.

So sad to see that happen. But again... nothing a cat can do about it.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
cooperhw

We all have them stories. Sad but true. I know a guy who has a 55 and a 57 T-birds in his garage. One has been sitting about 25 years and one about 35. Under covers taking up his entire garage while his nice cars sit outside. His wife calls them "Garage Art". Will not sell. No way, no how.
I think we just look at them different. We see potential cars needing to be restored. They see "their treasure" and love them just how they are.
We may end up the same with some of our "one of these days" projects. Never know.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
EARNHARDT#3

I know 3 spots where there are trucks (67-72) sitting rotting away. One is an orange 68 that I wouldn't mind having. One is a 69-70 GMC and the other is a Chevy but can't tell from where it sits what year 69-72 somewhere in those years. Maybe someday if I have some extra cash I'll go knocking on doors.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
dfwright

Let me offer an "other side of the story" for you guys. When my dad passed away, his 72 was parked, and was literally sinking into the ground at my mom's house for years. She was constantly being asked to sell the truck and always told them that her son was going to come one day and take the truck to fix up, it wasn't for sale. For 10 years she told people that. I am sure many of them thought the same thing... "that truck is just going to waste away for nothing".

When I did finally get a place where I could take it, it had sunk up to the axles in the ground.

Here it is today. Slowly getting there
Attached Images

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
C10_ustacould

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwright View Post
Let me offer an "other side of the story" for you guys. When my dad passed away, his 72 was parked, and was literally sinking into the ground at my mom's house for years. She was constantly being asked to sell the truck and always told them that her son was going to come one day and take the truck to fix up, it wasn't for sale. For 10 years she told people that. I am sure many of them thought the same thing... "that truck is just going to waste away for nothing".

When I did finally get a place where I could take it, it had sunk up to the axles in the ground.

Here it is today. Slowly getting there
This is very cool to see, thanks for sharing your story. I'm happy to hear you are taking good care of your Pop's truck. However, this guy owns 4 other cars that are stored at this guys house as well as a few others peppering the front lawn of the house he lives in a few miles away. It's awesome when one's emotional attachment drives the project to completion but it's unfortunate when that emotional attachment allows a gem to return to the earth so to speak.

Milly

The Old Girl

Ellie SOLD

Shiro SOLD

My Old Farm Truck SOLD
Old 12-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
slowcpe

I was part of the "other side of the story". I bought my grandpa's '77 swb K10 from my cousin one year. The goal at the time was to make it a wheeler but the truck was in Kentucky and I lived in Indianapolis so it sat out behind the barn. It sat out there for a couple of years and I had since moved back to the area and started my business. Then I couldn't afford to do anything with it and my apartment complex would not allow such an eyesore in the parking lot so it continued to sit. I got pressured to sell it because it was taking up so much space on the family farm <sarcasm>. Now that I'm settled, have a nice garage/shop, and some disposable income I'd give just about anything to have that truck back. I grew up in that truck, learned to drive in it, and have countless memories of it. So I did the next best thing and bought my '67.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #10
flashed

I guess I am now one of them guys even though all mine run ,drive and are insured someone is always asking when they will be for sale .Heck I even ask myself that sometimes .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #11
C10_ustacould

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I guess I am now one of them guys even though all mine run ,drive and are insured someone is always asking when they will be for sale .Heck I even ask myself that sometimes .
I don't think you fit that mold if you are driving them, you just have a collection.

Milly

The Old Girl

Ellie SOLD

Shiro SOLD

My Old Farm Truck SOLD
Old 12-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #12
ho70

Never mind the truck, I am in awe of the green. Everything is white here
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #13
trac209

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho70 View Post
Never mind the truck, I am in awe of the green. Everything is white here
We are getting off lucky this winter has been super warm. I can't remember a year I haven't been ice fishing by mid November
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #14

I hoard them, but they are all inside. Even my parts trucks are out-of-the-weather.
73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I never really give it much thought. Someone wants to let their stuff rot to the ground, its theirs to do whatever they want.

I did have an interesting miss on my part not too awfully long ago. Guy had an old Mopar special order police car. I doubted what he was telling me about it, but we did a walk around one day and he showed me all the special stuff, and he had some original paper work. Problem with this car ... an amazing amount of rust. Cool thing about this car ... 392 Hemi.

He said he would sell it for around 8 grand, very rare and highly collectible, I have several people from around the states that are interested (yeah right). It sat forever. I told him if he ever really wanted to sell it to let me know (I wanted that HEMI).

One day the car was gone, good for him, he got him some real dough. I asked him what he finally got for it. He needed some money, 400 bucks scrap!!!!

Why???
Old 12-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #16

Agree, but ya know what, ya can't save them all. So why do I scour Craig's List every week looking for more trucks!!!
Old 12-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
ho70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73737373 View Post
Agree, but ya know what, ya can't save them all. So why do I scour Craig's List every week looking for more trucks!!!
Me too, it's a sickness
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #18

There's at least a dozen w/in a 5 mile radius of my house and countless others on CL in my area, and I'd go buy all of them if I could. Lots of nice trucks just sitting; some know what they have, others do not. Just hate to see things go to waste and not just old trucks, either. Looking at a very nice 72 Sierre Grande that just popped up today on CL. Really? Where am I going to put that one??? I have 3 40 x 60 foot barns that are full of old cars/trucks and can't fit any more. Bad enough that my daily driver commuter car has to sit outside. Anyone know a good "shrink"??
Old 12-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #19
C10_ustacould

I agree that is his to let rust away, I can accept it, but It's tough to live a half mile from something that could be so cool.

Milly

The Old Girl

Ellie SOLD

Shiro SOLD

My Old Farm Truck SOLD
Old 12-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #20
midniteblues

Here is another untouchable. It's been sitting here at least 20-25 yrs.
I asked about it 10 yrs ago but got the "it's not for sale didnt you see the no trespassing sign"?
I only knocked on your door to ask geesh.

The fella was old and very unhealthy looking.
Also looks like area development is incroatching in on his overgrown property.
I have have a bud who claims he asked about the old iron there and got the same reply.

67 or 68 swb step. It's getting deeper by the year. Soon it will be soil or scrap.

I guess ya can't buy them all.

I have a bunch more untouchables in my area I'll get pics as I come across them
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #21
67 chevelle

Quote:
There's at least a dozen w/in a 5 mile radius of my house and countless others on CL in my area, and I'd go buy all of them if I could. Lots of nice trucks just sitting; some know what they have, others do not. Just hate to see things go to waste and not just old trucks, either. Looking at a very nice 72 Sierre Grande that just popped up today on CL. Really? Where am I going to put that one??? I have 3 40 x 60 foot barns that are full of old cars/trucks and can't fit any more. Bad enough that my daily driver commuter car has to sit outside. Anyone know a good "shrink"??
You will need a shrink if you get rid of them
I say build another barn
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #22
Fatherof3

Quote:
I hoard them, but they are all inside. Even my parts trucks are out-of-the-weather.
That's my rule. Don't bring them home or keep them around if they're going to sit outside and rot unless for parts only. Now if I lived in Arizona or some other place where the weather doesn't kill them that would be different.

I've got plenty of friends with projects that have been sitting in garages untouched for years. I always tell them if they push them out side they have to get ride of them.
65 C20 292 4spd 4:56 Eaton HO52
Fatherof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #23
midniteblues

Here's a 69 it's been in the same spot for at least 20 yrs.
A local fella who owned a jy near by bought it to put in the junk yard but never got around to "getting it" there.

Anywho the fella died 6-7 yrs ago and the yard crushed and closed up.
And here it sits I spoke with the person who's property it sits on about two yrs ago an they said it belongs to so in so.
"I said but he died so how much?"
He told me somebody will come and get it for the dead guy....

Its been forgotten I do believe. One problem it's parts only the dead guy has/had the title an it was problem salvaged/junked.

I'm gonna stop again early spring. An ask again.
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:16 AM   #24
12secondnova

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
Here's a 69 it's been in the same spot for at least 20 yrs.
A local fella who owned a jy near by bought it to put in the junk yard but never got around to "getting it" there.

Anywho the fella died 6-7 yrs ago and the yard crushed and closed up.
And here it sits I spoke with the person who's property it sits on about two yrs ago an they said it belongs to so in so.
"I said but he died so how much?"
He told me somebody will come and get it for the dead guy....

Its been forgotten I do believe. One problem it's parts only the dead guy has/had the title an it was problem salvaged/junked.

I'm gonna stop again early spring. An ask again.
I think you can file for abandoned vehicle and get a title for it. Have to jump through some hoops though!
12secondnova is offline   Reply With Quote