The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
03BlkZ

Newbie here!

Well I say newbie but I grew up with this truck. My father bought this 1970 short bed C10 new in 1970 and daily drove this truck for 30 years. When my brother and I learned to drive this was the first vehicle we ever drove and 3 on the tree at that! In year 2000 when I bought my first Camaro my dad bought the truck that I was driving and put the C10 in the shop. Its basically been sitting there since then. He always said he was going to restore/fix it up but hasn't done anything with it yet. That being said he is retiring in February after a 40+ year career is auto paint and body. I recently asked if he wanted to sell it to me or if he was planning to do something with it after retirement and he wasn't ready to part with it but thanksgiving weekend he handed me the keys and asked if I wanted to do 50/50 on the restore and he would put my name on the title since I do have other siblings. My sister doesn't want the truck and unfortunately my older brother has fallen on hard times after a divorce and he cant afford to pitch in so I lucked out and now have a C10. I am excited to get started not only to have a project but also for the opportunity to spend precious time with my dad. I'm just glad he is wanting to do something with it where we can both enjoy it and then hopefully I will have something pass down someday.
Here a few pictures. Excuse the junk and plants that are all around the truck but I didn't have time to move all this crap. That is step one in the project. Clean out dads shop! I look forward to this project and I plan to post updates once we get started. Cheers!!!

Obviously items like the brush guard, headache rack and bed rails will be gone forever. We just want to keep it simple. Hugger orange with a white top, no moldings down the side. Frame off with rebuild the rear end, tranny and engine. Maybe a new crate engine if needed and 4 wheel disk brakes.
03BlkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
Ironangel

Re: Newbie here!

Wow, that truck is a beauty! Merry Christmas and welcome to the 67-72 Truck Forum! You'll get lots of experienced help here in your project.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
cooperhw

Cool story and truck. Welcome to the club. Glad to have you here. Now of course you and your Dad can and will do anything you want to "YOUR" truck which is how it should be, but "if it were me, I would get that thing running, sorted out, cleaned up, and maybe shoot some clear on it so it doesn't deteriorate further, and then start driving the snot out of that dude. I think it's beautiful just how it sits". Just my opinion.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

I agree and the best part is that its been in the family since day one! Welcome to the board.
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Cool story and truck. Welcome to the club. Glad to have you here. Now of course you and your Dad can and will do anything you want to "YOUR" truck which is how it should be, but "if it were me, I would get that thing running, sorted out, cleaned up, and maybe shoot some clear on it so it doesn't deteriorate further, and then start driving the snot out of that dude. I think it's beautiful just how it sits". Just my opinion.
That isn't a bad idea at all. The body is very straight and only had 1 small ding in the right front finder but dad can straighten it out no problem. We had talked about just getting it sorted and maybe do some interior work and make it a driver. We are still in the planning stages. Dad want get with me and talk about what we both want out of it and then make a plan to execute. It will be a blast and I cant wait to start enjoying this truck again! The childhood memories alone in this truck are priceless!
Old 12-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Still has the AM Radio.

Nice rig. Cool it has been in the family since it came from the dealer lot. Will be a cool foundation for a neat father and son project.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
slowcpe

Cool truck and welcome!

I can attest firsthand how a frame off can spiral out of control. Its going to be totally worth it (I hope) in the end but instead of being able to drive it, I get to look at it in the garage over the course of the next 2-3 years (again I hope!).

Whatever you do, I'm sure its going to be cool!
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
MagmaJct

I would love to have/drive a 3 on the tree. I think they are quirky and definitely unique! That's awesome that it has AZ as well.

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #9
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagmaJct View Post
I would love to have/drive a 3 on the tree. I think they are quirky and definitely unique! That's awesome that it has AZ as well.
Excuse my ignorance but what is AZ?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #10
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I believe he meant AC.
Welcome aboard from sunny (currently) Florida.
Great truck!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #11
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Cool truck. Enjoy it....
Old 12-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #12
TexasLS1

Awesome truck, with a great history. Looking forward to progress on this. What AC unit is under the dash?
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
oldgreen69

Nice looking truck, will be a great project for you and your Dad, enjoy the time working on it with him!
oldgreen69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #14
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLS1 View Post
Awesome truck, with a great history. Looking forward to progress on this. What AC unit is under the dash?
The AC is aftermarket but not too sure what brand. Dad was considering putting the factory AC in it but we are not too sure how much work it will be.