The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2015, 01:00 AM   #1
Classic 1st Timer

Stolen - 1955 Chevy 3100 4x4

Greetings all,

As you can tell by my handle - I'm totally new to classic vehicles and forums like this. I've always loved 50's series trucks and am finally at a stage in my life where I could live out the dream and own one…but I have a a sad story that I have to tell someone. I'm new to this so I apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong Forum, my story is inappropriate, or I end up stumbling thru the processes and protocols.

After a long search I purchased a beautifully restored 55 3100 4 x4 from The Dalles in Oregon. I drove it to Blaine and awaited the 72 hours needed for it to clear customs and come to its new home in Delta, BC. It was stolen on November 5th from the holding compound in Blaine, Washington mere hours before the Broker was to pick it up and deliver it to me. This was to be my first classic vehicle that was to fill my retirement years with a new and exciting hobby.

The truck is very distinguishable and I have a long list of unique features that set it apart from anything else on the road and can positively identify it, no matter how much someone would try to change it (I'm sure the list is way too long to post here).

Most notable is that the entire drive train (axles, transfer case, suspension, etc. etc) is from a 1972 or 73 International 4 x 4 Travelall (the frame is the original 55 Chevy frame). The front and back diffs' are Dana 60’s and the front axle has Warn manual hubs. The clincher is that the axle hubs are 5 stud on 4 1/2” (standard Chevy’s and anything else are 6 studs). The truck has 2 gas tanks and the rear one has a recessed filler and door on the back part of the passenger side rear fender. If anyone thinks its worthwhile listing all of the other unique features here - please let me know.

The loss has been devastating to me. Friends and family have been helping by scouring the internet hoping that it pops up somewhere. Part of my new hobby was to immerse myself in the classic truck world by going to events, shows and participate in forums like this. I never guessed that I would join a forum on this note. My hope here is that i can learn and benefit from advice and suggestions from experienced folks like you on what web sites I can look at to see if it pops up on-line and where I can put the word out more so other old chevy truck lovers could maybe keep an eye out for it.

I don't know if it is appropriate to list my email address or other contact information here - I'm sure i will learn as I go along. I've tried to add some photos to the post and hope it worked out.

Thanks for listening.
Attached Images

Classic 1st Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
2tractors

Re: Stolen - 1955 Chevy 3100 4x4

Sorry for your loss, got my eyes open here in Ga.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
1project2many

Wow... what a beautiful truck. And what a poor start in our hobby. Stolen from the holding compound for customs?? How can that even happen?? Was this a US Government facility or a privately owned lot?

I hate to say it but if the truck was awaiting export I'd worry that the thief did just that!

The fuel filer door in the rear fender is a unique and very speedy visual identifier.

Again, this is a sad story for sure.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
flashed

Sorry to hear of this ,I will be watching for it too.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
OrrieG

Nice truck, I was wondering about the customs impound lot theft too. Would assume public or private they would have insurance.

I belong to two groups on facebook that are very active, one Chevy, one GMC, here are the links, go post the info there too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/taskforcebuilders/ (55-59 Chevy Truck/Task Force Builders)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/638121742938603/ (55-59 GMC trucks)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/910185312390281/ (old rusty cars)

All are good sites without a lot of the BS.

I will cut and paste your info into my FB page and share it so my gearhead friends in Idaho can see it.

Good luck
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Wow, sad story for sure. You're welcome to add your contact info here if you feel comfortable doing so. Or, if anyone here has any info for you they can use the Private Message function and it will be forwarded to your email addy that you provided when you joined. Good luck to you!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #7
Foot Stomper

Very unfortunate!!
Was it insured??

Some unique features might bring in some leads .
Do I see one pedal on the floor... no clutch = automatic. Very rare.
V8 casting numbers?
Have you considered the seller "reclaimed" it before it left the country (assuming he'd know where and when it'd waiting)?

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
mr48chev

I saw that truck at the show at the Maryhill Museum a couple of months ago. It is one well put together truck that as you said has a lot of very distinguishing features on it.

You would think that the impound lot would have some serious security on it as you can expect some high dollar rigs to go though there but I didn't think BC had an issue with vehicles over 25 years old going in.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
dubds10
Stalker Nate

I'd check the surrounding area for security cameras and the lots itself. Which lots was it held at? I've done a fair share of importing classic trucks to BC over the years and always used a friends house as I didn't trust the storage yards for 3 days to be honest. Especially on a classic truck as more people are jumping on the bandwagon for them. I'll keep my eyes open though, as I'm always on CL and other avenues looking for trucks to purchase and bring up.

Looked like a great truck, would've like to have seen it this coming summer season here. We've got a '57 GMC that's been done once, but getting redone a second time. Rarely show it though, just a summer driver. Hope you either find it or if you were using a shipping company they had insurance on it still.

Nate

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #10
Jemezcrusher

seems to me that the broker is responsible
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #11
Purcell69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher View Post
seems to me that the broker is responsible
It sure seems like it. I would think they would be required to be bonded/insured. I know that doesn't bring the truck back, but at least the bulk of his investment would be returned. I know just how heartbreaking a theft like that can be. Given its unique features and prominence, it will be hard to convert (sell). I'm hoping it turns up and isn't torn up.

-Joe
Old 12-11-2015, 01:37 AM   #12
Classic 1st Timer

Wow! I'm blown away by the overwhelming response. Thank you all!!! The holding yard was Yorky's which is a private but open facility that several brokers use as a holding and staging area for their transfers across the border. It is manned 24 hours with full time video surveillance. They (the police) have the thief on video but can't make an ID due to the standard black hoodie and head down sneaking around profile. My lawyer is is on the trail of the broker and the yard to start the financial recovery process. Being a newbie to this I now realize my mistakes and the things that I coulda, shoulda done to avoid this from happening….which haunt me daily and keep me up at night. It is clear to me now that the place to start a hobby like this is to start right here learning the ins and outs of this sort of thing from you folks.

2tractors - thanks for keeping an eye out
1project2many - the holding yards was a mistake - it almost smells like an inside job
flashed - thanks for keeping an eye out too
OrrieG - thanks for the sites and posting on your Facebook
63 & 64 Bowties - thanks for the advice. I can be texted at 604-828-5736
Foot Stomper - I've added the long list of features at the end of this message - I hope it's not too much.
Mr48chev - yup that's the truck alright
dubds10 - thanks for keeping an eye out for it
Jemezcrusher & Purcell69 - The broker and Yorky's are on my lawyer's call list.

Thank you all again - I truly appreciate it and wish I'd come here first before I started looking for a truck to buy. I will continue to post as this personal nightmare unfolds. Below is a list of some of the unique features this truck had……..

• The radio antenna is on the passenger side at the back of the cab, just beside the door handle (kind of like where the gas cap is on the driver’s side).
• There are 2 fuel tanks – one behind the seat in the cab and the other between the frame at the very back of the truck.
• The filler for the cab fuel tank is in the standard stock location – at the back of the cab by the door handle.
• The filler for the back tank is on the passenger side rear fender and has a door.
• The front tank is 18 gals and the back tank is 38 gals.
• The rear fuel tank has the words “chev van” written on it in wax crayon, on the engine facing side. You have to lay under the truck or have it on a lift to see it.
• The back tank has a breather vent hose that lays too flat on the tank and as the tanks reaches full – it spits a gush of gas out, which runs on top of the tank and dribbles out and down the back of the tank – you can see it dribble when you are standing at the back of the truck
• There is a 4 position manual gas tank switch on the floor of the cab, right under the drivers seat. It is plainly visible as soon as you open the driver’s door.
• The mags are Eagle Alloy Series 185 with Black Centres.
• The suspension is leafs springs on all four corners and have 10 leafs each – however a previous owner took 3 leafs off of the front axle to try and soften the ride....so there are only 7 leafs on the front end corners. I still have the 6 leafs that were taken out
• As a result of the lesser leafs on the front end – it sits a bit lower and as a result the front drive shaft is very close to the passenger side header and actually rubs slight on a rough road. Marks of this occurrence are plainly visible on the driveshaft.
• The left front tire rubs on the drag link on tight right turns – the drag link will be polished where the tire rubs.
• The steering wheel is from a 72- 73 Chevy and painted the same robin egg blue as the truck
• The motor is a crate Chevy 350 with a 3/4 RV cam. The tranny is a Chevy Turbo 350 3 speed automatic. The 4 wheel drive shifter in the cab is fairly tall and give ones the impression of being a standard transmission shifter – it has a white knob.
• The tranny has a heavy duty towing shift kit in it and it shifts quite hard as a result.
• There is a class 5 towing hitch on the truck and a round multi-pronged electrical plug for lights and trailer brakes – although there is not a trailer break switch in the truck.
• The wiring that runs from the cab to the trailer plug-in has been run inside a residential type metal conduit that is up inside the frame on the drivers side and runs from the cab to the back bumper – which is loose and rattles around.
• The heater fan in the truck is run from a 3 position toggle switch under the dash. There is also a little power light that when pushed provide power to the in-dash radio as well as the 6 disc CD player under the driver’s side of the seat.
• There are 2 speakers in small wood boxes behind the seat and also 2 speakers on each side of the cab mounted to the side wall around knee height.
• The bench seat is not a Chevy seat.
• The temperature gauge in the dash does not work and there is an aftermarket temperature gauge mouthed under the dash.
• There is also a fuel gauge under the dash that is hooked to the rear tank – the gauge in the dash only records the fuel in the smaller gas tank behind the seat.
• The windows are tinted and the windshield is taper tinted.
• The passenger side window is stiff to roll down and back up again.
• The black background in the “V” dash gauge cluster is slightly tilted to the left (like 2 degrees).
• Under the floor carpet on the passenger side there is a small fibreglass patch and the pattern of the fibreglass roving is plainly visible.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:35 AM   #13
1project2many

This might be another good place to report the theft:
http://www.wsati.org/
Old 12-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #14
Classic 1st Timer

Thank you, this looks like a great site. I had a look at their requirements and the only thing I need to get to post there is the file # from the Blaine Police - I'll be calling them today.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #15
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
I would post it on the trifive forum too

40,000 members

www.trifive.com
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #16
mr48chev

I posted it on the NW Rods and Customs Facebook page yesterday that has all sorts of gear heads checking in on it on a regular basis.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:01 AM   #17
Classic 1st Timer

Thank you Jemezcrusher, this looks like a great site too and mr48chev for posting on NW Rods and Customs….have a great weekend.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:56 AM   #18
Classic 1st Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I saw that truck at the show at the Maryhill Museum a couple of months ago. It is one well put together truck that as you said has a lot of very distinguishing features on it.

You would think that the impound lot would have some serious security on it as you can expect some high dollar rigs to go though there but I didn't think BC had an issue with vehicles over 25 years old going in.
Hi mr48chev - I've taken the liberty of adding those 2 great photos of my truck that you took at the show in Maryhill into my photo library and used them in a couple of my posts on stolen sites and so on. I trust that is okay and thanks again!
Old 12-16-2015, 01:02 AM   #19
Classic 1st Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Hi1project2many - I hope to have my info up on WSATI in a day or so - just waiting for the Blaine Police to contact them and confirm the theft (the theft was not in California so they need that added verification) Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:04 AM   #20
Classic 1st Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher View Post
I would post it on the trifive forum too

40,000 members

www.trifive.com
Hi Jemezcrusher - I'm up on Trifive too - great site and good bunch of guys. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2015, 01:56 AM   #21
86454k30

Man that is a terrible story. I'll keep my eye out in eastern washington.
86454k30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #22
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic 1st Timer View Post
Hi1project2many - I hope to have my info up on WSATI in a day or so - just waiting for the Blaine Police to contact them and confirm the theft (the theft was not in California so they need that added verification) Thanks again.
Following this tragic story. What did WSATI do or tell you? Any news to report to the group?

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #23
1project2many

WSATI has links to theft statistics from the insurance crime bureau. I was surprised by the number of thefts in the Spokane area but completely floored by number of thefts around Seattle!!

https://www.nicb.org/newsroom/nicb_campaigns/hot_spots
Old 12-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #24
Classic 1st Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Following this tragic story. What did WSATI do or tell you? Any news to report to the group?
From what I can see WSATI is dedicated to getting the word out about stolen classic vehicles and will list and post info and photos of stolen vehicles like mine. They will only do this for vehicles that have been reported to Police Agencies that have been entered into NCIC (National Crime Information Center). I believe WSATI primarily serves California but will list a theft that occurred in other States as long as the Police verify it. The Blaine Police Department has been great. Part of me believes the truck may end up in California.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #25
86454k30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic 1st Timer View Post
From what I can see WSATI is dedicated to getting the word out about stolen classic vehicles and will list and post info and photos of stolen vehicles like mine. They will only do this for vehicles that have been reported to Police Agencies that have been entered into NCIC (National Crime Information Center). I believe WSATI primarily serves California but will list a theft that occurred in other States as long as the Police verify it. The Blaine Police Department has been great. Part of me believes the truck may end up in California.
I would think more along the lines that the truck is in a container in the port and shipping south of the US or overseas.
86454k30 is offline   Reply With Quote