The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
fireman68

68 c10 fuel tank problem

Hi all, newbie here. Getting read to start my first frame off restoration, well first restoration ever for that matter. I have a 68 c10 driver and im having issues wit the fuel tank leakig. What's happening is with temperature changes the tank is pressurizing itself and leakin a little bit of fuel behind the seat where the fuel line connects to the sending unit. When i remove the gas cap i get a rush of air and a face full of gas fumes. Im a firefighter and i know how dangerous this can be in a inclosed garage which is why i have moved the truck tk my detached garage away from ignition sources. Im at a loss as to what to do about this, any advice? Thanks.
fireman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 68 c10 fuel tank problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman68 View Post
Hi all, newbie here. Getting read to start my first frame off restoration, well first restoration ever for that matter. I have a 68 c10 driver and im having issues wit the fuel tank leakig. What's happening is with temperature changes the tank is pressurizing itself and leakin a little bit of fuel behind the seat where the fuel line connects to the sending unit. When i remove the gas cap i get a rush of air and a face full of gas fumes. Im a firefighter and i know how dangerous this can be in a inclosed garage which is why i have moved the truck tk my detached garage away from ignition sources. Im at a loss as to what to do about this, any advice? Thanks.

This one is easy, go to the local auto parts store and get a vented gas cap.... You have the wrong cap on it.

I'm a retired 23 year veteran Firefighter, welcome to the family....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
fireman68

Thanks for the reply lockdoc , i baugt a new cap yesterday looks just like the original but last night it pressurized and filled the whole garage with fumes and a lot of them. Kinda scary. The cap let's air in but doesn't seem to let air out.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman68 View Post
Thanks for the reply lockdoc , i baugt a new cap yesterday looks just like the original but last night it pressurized and filled the whole garage with fumes and a lot of them. Kinda scary. The cap let's air in but doesn't seem to let air out.

You must have something else going on then. I can't see temperature swings causing that, especially inside a building where the swings would be more gradual. The temperature here has been dropping into the low 30º range at night and getting into the mid to upper 50º range during the day and I don't see any problems like that with any of my trucks....

I'm still betting you have the wrong gas cap on the truck. The next time you drive the truck and park it in the garage for the night loosen the gas cap so it is just sitting loose on the filler neck. Do this for two reasons, 1. to see if you have a rush of air in or out immediately after you park it, and 2. to see if you have the strong gas smell in the morning. Let us know what happens.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
fireman68

Roger doc. Will do. I did leave the cap loose last night and no strong smell this morning. I will monitor it after i drive it next. What else could cause an issue like this? Anybody have any ideas?
Old 12-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
Bigdav160

Thanks EPA. Modern replacement "vented" fuel caps hold up to 3 psi
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote