The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
JimDirt

Later model tank in 58 ? (behind seat)

Does anyone know , or have they tried to put a 60-66 , 20 gallon tank in the stock location on a 58 ?? , will the filler neck work ?? , will the 60-66 sending unit work with the stock gas gauge ??

I was thinking about my reasons for relocating the tank to under the bed , which were mainly for a larger capacity , since when i do drive it , it will be in the 100+ mile range each time (to go dirt bike riding , etc) , fumes were a thought , but not the main reason , if i remember right the stock tank is like 15 or 16 gallons ? (yes/no ?) , so i was thinking if i can get a larger tank for behind the seat , i would rather go that route , so would a 20 gallon from a 60-66 fit behind the seat without having to move the seat forward any (i want the seat as far back as possible) i will still be swapping the stock seat out for something more "modern/adjustable" (bench seat) , or does someone offer a 20+ gallon tank made specifically for the 58 ??

I am getting ready to start to gather supplies to get the truck back going , and plan on starting on the work as soon as the weather starts to warm up and drying out (February) , i figure this change in direction is more practical than the prior route i was planning on , i will be slightly lowering the truck by removing a few spring leaves , and whatever i get is what i will get for drop ( i only want 1-3 inches anyway) , replacing or converting the steering box to something with no slop by either aftermarket or ???(Toyota ?? if so what year/model will work ?? , is this a easy/practical conversion ??) without re-designing the steering linkages , etc , and going to a tilt no shift column (but keeping the stock steering wheel) , replacing the bed wood , , at least getting the truck in primer for now , and of course get the engine back up to shape and in the proper location (which will include a new drive shaft) , and either completely rewiring the truck with a kit , or at least fixing the stuff that is worn and unsafe , disk front conversion and power booster conversion (stock location) , that is about it for the most part , nothing extravagant , just get it road worthy , fix a few issues , and enjoy the truck

Any help would be appreciated , as i think this is the best way to keep the truck as close to what it was when my dad had it , but still upgrade/modernize for driving safety/comfort

Thanks....Jim ...
JimDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Foot Stomper

Re: Later model tank in 58 ? (behind seat)

Hi Jim,
Just my 2 cents but after reading your post, I'd say you are almost better off to go with an under the bed tank. The seat change plus a desire to move it back pretty much sets you on this course. I'd say the other modifications you are considering are in keeping with a tank relocation.

I've been researching alternate fuel cell options and have decided (59 GMC) my tank is going under bed for two reasons; extra fuel capacity and extra behind the seat storage. I haven't come across any options about the one you are describing but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist either.

I'll be watching this thread for possible new solutions.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
JimDirt

Thanks for the reply , in answer to the seat concern , the distance the stock seat is , is fine from the dash/column , so as long as i can maintain that distance and not close it any , it will be ok , but i also (with a newer style seat) want the ability to lean the back of it (recline) because the only thing i really do not like about the stock seat is the lack of adjustment , and to me its just too upright , and it bothers my crappy back sitting up so straight like that , and to have the ability to have a shoulder harness (so i don't get stopped all the time to be asked if i am wearing a seat belt) so i figured one of the mid seats from a suburban or whatever , or a car seat that incorporates a shoulder strap

The tank i could go either way with , just whatever is more practical (and cost effective) and serves the function , which is having the capacity to drive without the need to stop and fill the tank every 100/150 or so miles , also if i went to the under bed tank , then i would have to replace the left bed fender with one that incorporates the spare tire mount , since i do not feel comfortable driving any distance without having a spare tire , and i don't really want to just throw one in the bed of the truck , especially if i have a couple of dirt bikes back there along with all my gear , etc , so going to the bed tank would necessitate the need for a different fender , so the one change , creates another , i just would like to keep the truck as close to what it is body wise as possible , a fender wont kill me , but this was part of the reason for changing the plan back to keeping the stock tank location , and the reason for my post , to see if i can do this , or if moving the tank location is necessary to gain the capacity
Old 12-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Put it under the bed. More convenient and safer.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
57chevyman

id put a new tank under the bed and fabricate a bracket inside the bed for the spare tire, up near the cab. so the tire can stand up against the front panel or against the bed side. that way the spare tire is secure and wont really get in the way.

i dont have any stats, and im sure the in-cab gas tank is safer than it seems, but i never liked the idea of having the gas tank in the cab..and youre asking if a larger thank will fit in the cab

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
JimDirt

Yea i see the point you guys are making , now i just have to find a affordable tank that i can have a side fill with (on a 8' step side) , so would i have to run steel lines along the frame from the rear ?? , if so , does someone make a kit ?? , or just buy bulk line ??
Old 12-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
Northern lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Put it under the bed. More convenient and safer.
That's funny, I would say leave it behind the seat because it's more convenient and safer.
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote