The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
davepl

Hey Grumpy Old Man (and other upholstery gurus)

Back when I had my 70 buckets restored the shop threw away all of the internals, like the listing wires, the springs that pull the center seat section down, all of it.

Just because it's still called Jimmy's doesn't mean Jimmy is alive. Jimmy was a great upholsterer. Guy that has Jimmy's business name now, not so much.

Anyway, I "recreated" what I could with coat hangers, binder wire, and zip ties, and it functions pretty well. My problem is that with the side bolster wires pulled down the middle bulges up, and I'm tall, and now I've got "too much seat". I sit too high.

I was thinking I could blow it all apart again and trim some of the center foam off, but that would mean undoing all of my work, redoing it, and hoping for the best.

I had done an original pass with zip ties that was at least adjustable (one way only, you could tighten the ties) but the wire approach I used last is stronger but sort of permanent.

I thought maybe a bag of cement on a towel would crush it, but that could take another 40 years of waiting...

Thoughts? I just want to sink lower into the seat, more or less.

This picture is before - very flat. The after (truck not here) has the bolster wires pulled down, making the bolsters and the center seat more prominent. By bolster I mean the raised side parts of the seat bottom that stop you from sliding out in corners (in theory), similar to the side bolsters on the seat back, but it might not be the right name.
Attached Images

davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Hey Grumpy Old Man (and other upholstery gurus)

There's no easy out .Remove cover and slice foam horizontally from the center section only using a carving knife (yes a regular old $9.99 electric turkey carving knife ) works great for a cheap easy way to shape foam .A Bosch foam saw costs close to $500.00 and works the same way .

Starting from the front seam edge of the center foam gradually remove the foam from a 1/4" in the front to 1" in the back this not only will lower your butt section but will still provide leg support and as an added bonus sit you further back into the seat and you won't be constantly readjusting from sliding forward while driving .

You can also use this process on the seat back section (center) only1/4"down starting from the top down to 1/2" just above your lumbar section then leave approx 4" and then trim some more below that 4" section to give the seat a hidden lumbar roll which will also sit you further back into the seat and gives you more of a custom designed seat feel rather than the straight back foam .

This is why I always recommend to have new seat covers installed by your local upholstery shop and let them repair your old foam instead of buying expensive replacement foam ,They can custom fit your seat foam to your body ,For some reason ALL the replacement foam I've ever had to install over many years really wasn't worth the cost of the box it was shipped in.

Don't use zip ties they will break use hog rings and hog ring pliers ment for the job

http://qualitynylonrope.com/hog-ring...FdEYHwodvrME5g

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 12-15-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
gkhashem
Account Suspended

How can you restore old foam? I thought it disintegrates after 45 years?
gkhashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #4
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Don't use zip ties they will break use hog rings and hog ring pliers ment for the job

http://qualitynylonrope.com/hog-ring...FdEYHwodvrME5g
Thanks! To be clear I wasn't using zip ties in place of hog rings (I use hog rings) I was using them in place of the springs that hold down the lateral wires; I then replaced the zip ties with steel wire. No spring action though.

Some days I wish I could pay people to do this - at least when it's the 3rd or 4th time I've had something apart. I mean I could pay someone, I just won't.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:03 AM   #5
swamp rat

Is it possible to shave the foam from the bottom of the seat foam instead of shaving and shaping from the top?? Food for thought.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:39 AM   #6
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Is it possible to shave the foam from the bottom of the seat foam instead of shaving and shaping from the top?? Food for thought.
Sometimes .. many seats have reinforcing material bonded to the seat cushion bottom to keep the seat springs from cutting thru the foam in the 70's most seats went to full foam construction with listing wires imbedded in the foam to attach the covers .In the mid 90's GM tried to use seats where the material was actually bonded to the foam making repairs very difficult with foam injected arm rests and head rests But most shops overcame the difficulties , The rumor was they wanted owners to come to Chevy dealers to buy replacement covers and not the local upholstery shops .
Old 12-16-2015, 05:49 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkhashem View Post
How can you restore old foam? I thought it disintegrates after 45 years?
Any upholstery shop can cut new foam from inexpensive foam sheets (these old trucks foam is basically flat sheets) it's been discussed in here before .

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601807
Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
gkhashem
Account Suspended

Well that's cutting new foam, it was said to repair foam in your reply.

So that makes more sense you are replacing it.
gkhashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #9
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkhashem View Post
Well that's cutting new foam, it was said to repair foam in your reply.

So that makes more sense you are replacing it.
You can repair the section that is bad and save whatever is still good Like just replacing the driver worn out section and saving the center and passenger foam .