The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
johnwaynejeep

Need opinions-Cooling&freeze plugs

I pulled my engine and found my cooling system is a little overboard and wanted to get the experts opinion. My heater core return line splits off and pipes into the lower engine next to the oil pan, and into the top of the motor right next to the thermostat housing. Is this normal, should I change it?

I pulled my engine and I'm in a good position to replace all my freeze plugs. Should I replace the freeze plugs or leave well enough alone? also how do I change the freeze plugs, as far as I can tell they're just hunks of brass jammed in a hole, is there a safe way to remove these without the risk of having to drill them out and drop metal shavings in the block?

the rest of this is all background, no reason to read further

when I pulled my engine I found I had no thermostat, no heated air intake, an auxiliary oil cooler and a transmission cooler. All this in a state with an average annual temperature below freezing. this thing belongs on the surface of the sun, not Alaska. I'm looking to fix all this so it runs and maintains at the right temperature. Any suggestions are appreciated
Smittybilt front/rear bumper, 10K winch
Pacific Grove, CA
johnwaynejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Need opinions-Cooling&freeze plugs

Your heater lines are correct.
Coolant flows from the intake into the bottom of your heater core. The hose out the top returns the coolant to the water pump.
Easy to replace the plugs.
Drill a hole in the centre of them. Put heavy grease on the bit and no flakes will fall inside.
Pry them out with a screwdriver, clean up the bores, put some sealant on the new cores and hammer them back in. Use a socket or pipe that fits on the outside lip.

Being you live in a cold climate you might want to replace one or two plugs with a new block heater.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:22 AM   #3
Blessed66

Coming from a Texan, take this with a grain of salt (in regards to Thermostats).

I can think of no reason, other than wanting to chase an overheating issue, to not run a thermostat. If this is an "Alaska mod," I wouldn't know about it. Maybe 160 is good enough? You atleast want some sort of restriction at the thermostat housing to allow the anti-freeze/water mixture time to actually keep operating temperatures in check. I'm pretty sure the factory thermostat is of the 195 degree variety, and perhaps that would work as intended.

I would, honestly, do the block heater. When my sister was stationed in Alaska, we got one for her car (a Dodge Stratus, at the time) and I'm sure it saved her butt more times than not. Cheap insurance, really.

1 5/8" should be the block plug diameter, and they are probably really easy to get in Alaska (vs. Texas, especially).
Blessed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:50 AM   #4
barry1982

I live in northern Alberta..... and it gets REALLY cold up here. A block heater is a "must have" or your not going to work in the morning....
I run an old Chevy. Would recommend a good 195 thermostat. When it gets really cold, we install pieces of cardboard in front of the rad as well. Helps keep the old girl warm...but watch your temp gauge idling around town
barry1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
johnwaynejeep

Thanks for all the input. I've already for the new thermostat and I plan on reconnecting the warm air intake into the air cleaner. And a block heater is a must have.

Take care all
Robert
Smittybilt front/rear bumper, 10K winch
Pacific Grove, CA
johnwaynejeep is offline   Reply With Quote