The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
11555wally

Improving Ride on 86 SWB

Bought my truck about a year ago and have been doing some upgrades to it as time permits. What I would like to do now is improve the ride. Don't use truck for any hauling to speak of. PO said the front was lowered 3" with springs, rear was 2 1/2" with shackles. New shocks. I replaced the spring hanger on the rear spring to get a total of 4" drop. Unloaded it doesn't ride near as well as my 2000 Ford Ranger 4WD extended cab. Would replacing the front springs with drop spindles and stock springs improve the ride noticeably. Also, I'm sure the shocks were not very expensive. Can't find any name on them. Would good shocks help? What are recommended. I like the stance of the truck now but would sure like to get a better ride. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have read many posts here but can't find the right one yet. Thanks for any advice.
11555wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
LEEVON

Re: Improving Ride on 86 SWB

I like to use McGaughy's 2.5" spindles in the front with HD (3/4 ton) springs cut down one coil for another 2" with a flip kit in the rear, shock relocators and new shocks all around. Stock shocks, Monroe. Rides perfect.

You also want to have a sway bar (stock is fine) and to make sure the rest of the suspension is tight. Check out a few pages in on this truck I had.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551097