The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
OldChevy61

Wiring question

I ve almost got the outside of my cab stripped and ready to strip out the dash. I am going to be doing a complete rewire when reassembly happens. Question is ,do I need to be concerned with the old harness. I want throw it away,but just can't see labeling all those wires if I'm going back new. In my mind,just rip it out and keep going. This is assuming the new harnesses come with everything labled. Also reccomendations on a new harness. Thanks
OldChevy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
63burban
Chevy addict

Re: Wiring question

Save the old harness for the connectors for now.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
frankslagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
Save the old harness for the connectors for now.
Ya better keep it. maybe pull the dash out a ways and take a couple pics to.
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #4
PGSigns

Take some care pulling the old one as it may help someone fix there truck. I used American auto wire for the harness in my 65. Nice setup and very good quality.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
frankslagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Take some care pulling the old one as it may help someone fix there truck. I used American auto wire for the harness in my 65. Nice setup and very good quality.
Jimmy
American auto wire . I am very happy with the stuff I got from them also.
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
OldChevy61

Thanks guys. I want throw anything away if it can be used. Read some good stuff about AAW.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:23 PM   #7
LVPhotos

Yes, please nothing fits and everyone wants major $$$ for ends! Live and learn. Nothing beats stock, choke choke.
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:17 AM   #8
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

I like these guys. Have had great customer service with them.
http://www.wiringharness.com/
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
OldChevy61

I'm a lot closer to buying a wiring harness. Looking for any feedback on the aaw power plus 13 wiring kit. Pros,cons. Anybody used this on your truck? I just don't need all the extras that comes with the more expensive set.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #10
LVPhotos

Speedway has the one I am using.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #11
OldChevy61

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPhotos View Post
Speedway has the one I am using.
Which kit is that?
Old 05-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
LVPhotos

12 circuit economy wiring harness 910-64017

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...ness,2352.html
Old 05-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #13
Rust-O-Matic

I'm rewiring my '66 using the factory style harnesses from ClassicParts. They are exact duplicates of the originals, so they just plug into everything like the stock one did. They are not cheap, but if you are looking for an easier route that doesn't require as much fitting as one of the modern update-type harnesses, they are great. Only downside is that the connectors are not labeled. Most of them only fit one way though, and with a little studying of a good original diagram it's pretty easy to figure out.
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #14
Tazimafied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust-O-Matic View Post
I'm rewiring my '66 using the factory style harnesses from ClassicParts. They are exact duplicates of the originals, so they just plug into everything like the stock one did. They are not cheap, but if you are looking for an easier route that doesn't require as much fitting as one of the modern update-type harnesses, they are great. Only downside is that the connectors are not labeled. Most of them only fit one way though, and with a little studying of a good original diagram it's pretty easy to figure out.
LMC and Brothers have these harnesses as well, and LMC reproduces the original wiring diagrams.
Tazimafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #15
OldChevy61

I don't want the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. The aaw still looks the most appealing to me and I need some of the modern updates such as hei, alternator, tach. Just don't need the extra circuits of the classic update and the extra 200.00,lol.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #16
Rust-O-Matic

Yeah, exact same thought process here when I decided to rip my old stuff out and start over. When I realized I could order the factory style harnesses modified for my HEI and internally regulated alternator I was sold on em. Again, they were more expensive than the OE versions, but I figure my sanity is worth something. And staring at the hacked-up, spliced-up, toggle switched-up mess I had to start with, I knew that sanity was very much in jeopardy haha.

These are made by AAW as well, just for the record. Oh, and the original diagram I used (which I think is the same one the vendors reproduce... white booklet, red writing on the cover, like 5 or 6 pages long) only shows the wiring for instrument clusters with warning lights, not the ones like mine with gauges. Most of the wiring is the same on both, but I had to google the "gauges" version diagram to identify a couple of specific items.

I hope I don't sound like a blind advertisement. I have nothing to do with AAW or Classic Parts (I'm a draftsman at an engineering firm), and have done lots of business with Brothers' and other vendors. I'm just really happy with the harnesses I got, and thought I'd share my 2 cents. If your original wiring is like mine was, whatever you decide to go with will probably be better than what you currently have. Best of luck, man.
Rust-O-Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:54 AM   #17
gabbin

MIne has the kwickwire 14 circuit, and an additional bus behind the glove, all highly visible markings, and fits beautifully, you'll like it, and it's specifically made for these trucks.
gabbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #18
spookylynx

Im using the Speedway 20circuit universal GM Everything is labeled with good guides, and I am completely ignorant of electricity! It's all voodoo!!! In hindsight I would just use the 12 circuit kit.

But, definitely keep your old harness until you are done. I have referred back to mine a few times.
spookylynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #19
Lugnutz65

I bought the American Autowire Classic Update kit for the 1960-66 trucks. The kit is #500560. I got mine from Summit Racing and they matched another internet price I found that was about $50 cheaper. AAW has good technical support. The kit will run all the modern electrical stuff that you might want to install and the contents of the kit are second to none.

I think what made my installation go well (first time ever for me) was the nice crimping tool kit (eBay) and wire stripper (Home Depot) I bought. It was an investment but worth the money. See photos.

If I can help in any way just ask.

Jay

[URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/lugnutztruck/media/Tools/Wire%20stripper/100_4244_zpsls2zl1os.jpg.html]

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #20
OldChevy61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust-O-Matic View Post
Yeah, exact same thought process here when I decided to rip my old stuff out and start over. When I realized I could order the factory style harnesses modified for my HEI and internally regulated alternator I was sold on em. Again, they were more expensive than the OE versions, but I figure my sanity is worth something. And staring at the hacked-up, spliced-up, toggle switched-up mess I had to start with, I knew that sanity was very much in jeopardy haha.

These are made by AAW as well, just for the record. Oh, and the original diagram I used (which I think is the same one the vendors reproduce... white booklet, red writing on the cover, like 5 or 6 pages long) only shows the wiring for instrument clusters with warning lights, not the ones like mine with gauges. Most of the wiring is the same on both, but I had to google the "gauges" version diagram to identify a couple of specific items.

I hope I don't sound like a blind advertisement. I have nothing to do with AAW or Classic Parts (I'm a draftsman at an engineering firm), and have done lots of business with Brothers' and other vendors. I'm just really happy with the harnesses I got, and thought I'd share my 2 cents. If your original wiring is like mine was, whatever you decide to go with will probably be better than what you currently have. Best of luck, man.
Thanks sir. I had looked at that one awhile back . Its about 225.00 more than what I had in mind ,but most likely worth it in the long run.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #21
OldChevy61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
I bought the American Autowire Classic Update kit for the 1960-66 trucks. The kit is #500560. I got mine from Summit Racing and they matched another internet price I found that was about $50 cheaper. AAW has good technical support. The kit will run all the modern electrical stuff that you might want to install and the contents of the kit are second to none.

I think what made my installation go well (first time ever for me) was the nice crimping tool kit (eBay) and wire stripper (Home Depot) I bought. It was an investment but worth the money. See photos.

If I can help in any way just ask.

Jay

[URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/lugnutztruck/media/Tools/Wire%20stripper/100_4244_zpsls2zl1os.jpg.html]
Will do Jay. Funny summit sells it cheaper than aaw. Just found at another place for 469.00. If summit price matches plus the free shipping, we will have a winner.lol

Last edited by OldChevy61; 05-06-2016 at 09:59 PM.