The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #1
Chuckhole

1987 SWB Dually going down⬇️

My 87 R30 is just too high.Just ordered a 5/7 kit from western. Anyone have experience with this kit?
Attached Images

Chuckhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

Re: 1987 SWB Dually going down⬇️

Yep, good kit. Make sure you dont have a dana 70 rear( I think, no saddles for the flip. Nice truck

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:51 AM   #3
Chuckhole

I'm pretty sure it does have a Dana 70. What kind of can of worm am I looking at with it?
Old 12-20-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Dang seen the title an was like swb dually heck yea an seen it was a longbed lol nice truck tho
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #5
Chuckhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
Dang seen the title an was like swb dually heck yea an seen it was a longbed lol nice truck tho
I've never seen a shorter bed on a Dually
Old 12-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
Chuckhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino12 View Post
Yep, good kit. Make sure you dont have a dana 70 rear( I think, no saddles for the flip. Nice truck
Most of the kits I've found listed 73-86 and 88-94. Mine is the off year of 87, anyone know more about this Dana 70 business? I'm pretty sure mine is an open diff Dana 70?!?
Old 12-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
slotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckhole View Post
I've never seen a shorter bed on a Dually
AFAIK all square body duallys have the same bed length, even the crew cabs are long beds like this. I think the options for dually are SCLB (like this), cab/chassis the same length as this (which I think doesn't stick the rear wheels out as far), crew cab long bed (same bed length as this), crew cab C&C (again narrower, but same amount of space for a bed). Then again I might be unaware of something.

I have seen some CCSB conversions but they aren't factory.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #8
SCOTI

I purchased the same kit for my CC dually.

I did not like the amount of material required to be removed for the c-notches. I discussed the strength concern w/a former board member who was a structural engineer. He did some analysis which 'indicated' rear frame rail strength would be very compromised vs. un-cut or one cut w/a milder c-notch. Obviously people run them but the decrease in strength prompted me to do a step notch w/full frame rail height above the rear end.

I made changes to my other project as well because I based/built the c-notch on it after the one purchased for my dually. I ultimately sold off the flip kit but threw away the c-notches because I felt they weren't safe.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #9
SCOTI

Also..... at that amount of rear drop (flip kit), the top of the differential will make contact w/the bedfloor.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 12-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
Chuckhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Also..... at that amount of rear drop (flip kit), the top of the differential will make contact w/the bedfloor.
I may just cut in some room for it, the bed has been hacked up by someone for a long gone 5th wheel hitch. I'm thinking about some helper bags to help with the weight
Old 12-21-2015, 01:06 AM   #11
slotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I purchased the same kit for my CC dually.

I did not like the amount of material required to be removed for the c-notches. I discussed the strength concern w/a former board member who was a structural engineer. He did some analysis which 'indicated' rear frame rail strength would be very compromised vs. un-cut or one cut w/a milder c-notch. Obviously people run them but the decrease in strength prompted me to do a step notch w/full frame rail height above the rear end.

I made changes to my other project as well because I based/built the c-notch on it after the one purchased for my dually. I ultimately sold off the flip kit but threw away the c-notches because I felt they weren't safe.
I can't say whether or not it's safe, but if anyone wants to draw up the dimensions of stock vs modified I'd be happy to calculate both stiffness and yield strength of each. I'd just say it's half as strong and 1/3 as stiff (or something, I'm making those numbers up for now) and you can decide whether or not you're willing to accept that.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:57 AM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotard View Post
I can't say whether or not it's safe, but if anyone wants to draw up the dimensions of stock vs modified I'd be happy to calculate both stiffness and yield strength of each. I'd just say it's half as strong and 1/3 as stiff (or something, I'm making those numbers up for now) and you can decide whether or not you're willing to accept that.
That is cool of you to offer & very valuable thing to know when planning mods. For my set-up (& this square dually WC c-notch set-up) it's already been done. Like you, I assumed cutting the frame would compromise the strength (uncut OE = 100%). I was surprised to learn just how much it was compromised even if boxed. There's a thread in the FAQ's w/the info.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
Chuckhole

It's finally done. I will never deal with western chassis again though. I love the look of it, I may snip the front coil just a bit. I now am trying to figure out how to remount the rear sway bar and some helper air bags.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #14
cochino12
It followed me home?

Looks great. what size tires?

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #15
Chuckhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochino12 View Post
looks great. What size tires?
215/85r16
Old 02-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #16
Mr.Chevy4x4

So what were the problems you ran in to with the drop? I'm considering the same kit.

Thanks, Mike
Old 02-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #17
Chuckhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Chevy4x4 View Post
So what were the problems you ran in to with the drop? I'm considering the same kit.

Thanks, Mike
It started with kit showing up 3 weeks late. When it arrived I took the kit and truck to my installer. Shortly after we noticed our first missing part, the shocks. They said they were on back order and would ship out to me as soon as they got them.during the down time on that we noticed the rear shackles were missing as well. I called Western and told them to include them with the shocks.

That package finally arrived, (6 weeks after I made the initial order) only to find that they had sent shock bushings in leu of the shackles. By now we had noticed that they sent 2 different axle saddles, one being incorrect and the wrong length u-bolts, so I called back. After explaining to a very un-knowledgable staff member what a rear leaf spring shackle was and what it looked like I was told all the right parts would be at my door soon. A week and a half later a package arrives with the correct shackles and u-bolts but the wrong saddle bracket. So I called again.

The man on the phone confirmed with me the axle in my truck and I even sent a picture to them with a set of calipers confirming a 4" axle tube, and the sent yet another package to me, only it took 2 weeks this time. I opened it only to find the exact same wrong part they had sent before. So I called and told them to air mail me the right one. He said he would include 2 different sizes so we would get it right. 2 days later a box shows up with 2 saddle brackets in it, BOTH WRONG again.

I contacted them once more and told them I don't have time to play pick a part with them anymore.(it had been 2 1/2 months since I ordered the kit). I was told I would receive some sort of a refund, but never did. I had to pay my installer extra for the down time stuck on his shops lift and to fabricate me the right axle saddle out of 2 of their wrong ones.

I am happy with how the truck looks and rides but Western Chassis displayed for me the worst product knowledge and customer service I have seen in the aftermarket Industry in the past 37 years I've been dealing with cars. I strongly suggest looking elsewhere at other kits before purchasing one
Old 02-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #18
Mr.Chevy4x4

Wow, sorry you had so much trouble but the end result looks great. Thanks for the heads up.

Mike