The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
hooliganshotrods

56 GMC with nova clip, air ride question.

I've got a 56 GMC step side short box, it has a 75 nova clip in it but want to put air ride in it and have it lay out. I've got the back all sorted out but am wondering what have you guys used on a Nova clip for air stuff?

Currently it has stock spindles etc. I am looking at maybe using Ridetech strongarms and shockwaves for a 70-81 Camaro as it should be the same as a 75 Nova, and drop spindles up front. I will be using an AccuAir setup.

Any ideas are appreciated, I want it to lay out in the front but am a little unsure with the Nova clip.

Cheers
hooliganshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: 56 GMC with nova clip, air ride question.

if you want to lay it out, dont get shockwaves. shockwaves have pretty small airbags and are designed for lowered driving with the ability to adjust a couple inches to clear obstacles. If you use them to lay out, you may find you dont have enough lift, it will ride terribly aired completely up, and worse than that if you bottom out while rolling low you will break the shock. that can really ruin your day.

I would suggest, if you want to lay out, to run a larger airbag with a nice gas charged shock outboard of the control arm. it will cost 1/3rd what shockwaves cost and will ride better. you will need some simple cups to mount the airbag to. laying out and cup height will depend on tire size.

I know the temptation is to think "well this just bolts in" but neither the upper shock mount nor the lower shock mount of the nova (or the camaro, typically they want you to use the shockwave lower control arms) is designed to hold the entire front end up so you will be strengthening the mounting areas to accomplish it. also, like I said, the amount of drop to lay out will depend on tire size, so you could spend all that money on shockwaves and find out that it doesnt lay out. worse, you could find out that it DOES and there isnt enough lift (because the shockwave wasnt fully collapsed) to get you even an inch off the ground.

airridetech makes some amazing stuff, and shockwaves are great if you want a lowered cruiser but laying frame isnt their strong suit.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
tmoble

sounds like the voice of experience from joedoh.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
joedoh

I have seen a few broken shockwaves on bagged s10s in my day. the newer type may be stronger, but they have a really small height adjustment range, like 4 inches.

ART lists a coolride setup for the camaro that uses a standard bag and bolt in brackets, not a bad price $400.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
hooliganshotrods

Thanks for the replies Joedoh. The cool ride setup for 400 I've looked at, I think I will order some slam specialty bags and build the cups and go that route.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
mr48chev

I haven't investigated it because I don't much care for air bag suspension and personally think the "hey guys look I made my truck look broken" laid out look is silly but there should be no end to airbag setups for that suspension that will do exactly what you want it to at what ever price you want to pay.

From reading other's threads there are bags to go with and there are ones to stay away from. I'd spend some time finding out which ones were considered the most reliable with the best support behind them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganshotrods View Post
Thanks for the replies Joedoh. The cool ride setup for 400 I've looked at, I think I will order some slam specialty bags and build the cups and go that route.
great choice, slam specialties makes some great airbags. I have used them on a few trucks and they dont balloon like other manufacturers.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #8
BIGglaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganshotrods View Post

Any ideas are appreciated, I want it to lay out in the front but am a little unsure with the Nova clip.

Cheers
How was your clip installed? Got a pic? There are two common ways that these sub-frames were installed on trucks.

Below the frame:

Level with the frame:

Level with the frame puts the crossmember below the rocker panels, and it will not lay body. Check to see if the sub-frame crossmember is lower than the rocker panels.

Wheel size and offset?

It can be done no problem, but there are a couple things to consider. I had mine mocked up with slam re7's. Let's see what you have, and go from there.

Last edited by BIGglaSS; 01-02-2016 at 06:02 PM.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
BIGglaSS

Ooops, Sorry, I see you mentioned stock spindles. Stock spindles may work better than drop spindles.

I can tell you what happens with drop spindles. First, to get these clips low and tuck tires in the fenders, you need a decent amount of backspace on the wheels. Otherwise you won't be able to turn when low. The drop spindles limit the amount of backspace you can run due to the tie rod hitting the wheel or tire. This is 18x8.5" wheel with 5.125" backspace. I had to slightly clearance the end of the tie rod. With this wheel and a 225 tire, 3" from the ground is as low as it will go without rubbing the fenders in a turn. Narrower wheel or bigger wheel with more backspace is the solution. There are not a lot of off the shelf choices at +5" backspace in this bolt pattern.

Second, the drop spindle may be taller than stock. The upper ball joint will not articulate enough to allow it to air out with the drop spindles. Aired out:

With that said, pull out the springs and check the range of motion first with what you have.

Last edited by BIGglaSS; 01-02-2016 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 01-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
hooliganshotrods

Thanks for the replies BIGglaSS. As for the clip, it is installed below the frame, it sits pretty low with the stock size wheels on it now so I'm certain I'll be able to lay it out. My plan is to run 20" Detroit steel wheels with 5" backspace, 245/35/20 rubber, dropped spindles and to get a little more room, 1" narrowed tubular control arms. I also have a big back window section that I want to install in it as well.

I just sold my 31 Model A hotrod and am building a 37 ford coupe custom on air as well so I wanted a nice little driver that I could bag and get on the road so I'm not tied down with multiple projects.

Here's a pic of the truck, I'm hoping to pick it up this week and start cutting the notches and 4 bar brackets on the plasma table. Was gonna start ordering parts and pieces for it but I'll wait until I get it home. I'm gonna give myself 2 months in my spare time to get it where I want it.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:35 AM   #11
BIGglaSS

Quote:
My plan is to run 20" Detroit steel wheels with 5" backspace, 245/35/20 rubber, dropped spindles and to get a little more room, 1" narrowed tubular control arms.
Truck looks nice! What width wheel? 5" backspace and 245's with stock control arms is a tight fit when riding low. 1" shorter will definitely help. Your plan should work. You may have to roll the inner fender lips to get it to turn more when low.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #12
hooliganshotrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGglaSS View Post
Truck looks nice! What width wheel? 5" backspace and 245's with stock control arms is a tight fit when riding low. 1" shorter will definitely help. Your plan should work. You may have to roll the inner fender lips to get it to turn more when low.
Thanks again for the replies! I was gonna run 8" wide rims on the front and maybe 9" wide on the back.